1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Reworking Armageddon

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Bootsiuv, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Bootsiuv

Bootsiuv Prince

Hello all.

I was playing a Sheaim game recently, and decided to play them the way there meant to be played i.e. going ashen veil and doing what I could to raise the armageddon counter. It was an interesting game for the most part, but the fact that blight/hell terrain seemed to hurt me worst of all was a little disconcerting. I knew evil civs were affected by things like blight, but after seeing all of my cities go down to 1 pop for 30 turns or so (size didn't matter, as my capital was only six pop...I mention this because I remember reading that large cities were supposedly affected more, but both Galveholm [size 6] and Grottisburg [size 20] were brought to size 1), I began to wonder why I hadn't just gone RoK or Empy.

I'm not hear to b***h and moan and I know blight is scheduled for a fix, but I'm of the opinion that the entire armageddon system should be reworked. It simply shouldn't affect evil civs as much, perhaps until armageddon itself.

Hell terrain should also be made to give more bonuses to evil civs, or at the very least to Ashen Veil civs.

Perhaps the Sheaim shouldn't be affected by the AC at all, and should gain tremendous bonuses from hell terrain. It might not fit together logic wise, but it would certainly compel someone to play the Ashen Veil/Sheaim more according to lore.

I would also like to see the good civs be affected by hell terrain, and in a more devestating way than evil civs. This would compel the good bannor/elohim player to try and lower the counter through whatever means possible, or call a crusade against whatever civ is suspected of raising it.

Thoughts/criticism are welcome.

2. Elyssaen

Elyssaen Chieftain

I think if Evil or Ashen Veil nations, or even just the Sheaim, are to benefit from Armageddon, it will become less 'the end of civilisation' and more 'the end of good guys'. I don't think that's what it's supposed to be.

Ashen Veil civilisations can already cling in there better with Sacrifice the Weak dropping food requirements, and the Sheaim have an early anti-Horsemen in Tar Demons and get numerous benefits at high AC. Half the Evil nations are Barbarian and aren't attacked by the Horsemen.

Armageddon might benefit from a bit of tweaking but I think the basic concept is fine as it is. It has to hit Evil nations as well, and there's some justice in holy lands being much more resistant to hell terrain. For Evil nations, Armageddon is really summed up with the phrase: "Play with fire and you get burnt".

Also... I tried playing the Sheaim according to lore. I won an extremely early Conquest victory on a Huge map because the Horsemen + my Meshabber of Dis destroyed all civilisation. Watching my empire go down with it, clinging on to the last two cities to avoid being defeated and not caring one bit about research or production because it was all dead, was exactly what I think the Sheaim-by-lore experience should be.

3. ExMachina

ExMachina Warlord

Unless you've updated to patch E or F, you're probably experiencing the bug that causes Blight to hit twice.

Even regardless of that, nobody really has any incentive to raise the AC in base FfH. Armageddon events tend to punish evil civs more than good civs. Fall Further solves this somewhat by making the demon barbarians (including the Four Horsemen) a separate civ that is allied to AV Sheaim and Infernals, and FF may also have increased the spawning of demon barbarians. So increasing the AC causes hordes of friendly demons to overwhelm your enemies without attacking you. This is of course in addition to the increased portal units that Sheaim get in base FfH.

4. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

If you want to play Sheiam and play with AC (and not go for total eradication of other players) play with Orbis Modmod. There is an additional victory condition "gone to hell" that makes the "best" armageddon contributor win when 80 (or is it 90%) of Erebus is covered with hell terrain. Requires you to hit hard on good civs and raise the AC high enough to affect neutrals