1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC:Antiquity Map Development Thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by kravixon, Mar 25, 2009.

1. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

It looks nice, yes.

I had done a 90x33 version of mine. That is 43% size in plots of that one.

I now think the former is too big. Take a look.

Edit: some areas aren't well enough, but the important thing is if the size is OK.

Attached Files:

2. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

After looking at yours, I'm undecided. Yours would definitely allow for faster gameplay in most of the map, however, Greece and Italy look cramped. Zach's would allow for the optimal size of each, but some areas are much too large.

3. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

I'll work on Italy a little bit, but Greece is already huge. Can try to narrow Anatolia even more.

First I wanted a big map but it's too much. I'd like this one more.

Edit: attachment

Attached Files:

4. ZachScape

ZachScape King

I'm guessing that by the end of Spring Break, we'll have the outline done and probably a lot of the terrain. Krav, can you put the recent map in the OP?
    Also, we should first get approval on the main thread if any of us decide to create a new Ant thread. That way we can decide the first 3 posting order so we can edit them given the opportunity (Like the RFCE Files thread).
    I'll work on the map later today.
    Edit: We should also put a date on each map.

5. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

I've edited Jedi's last small map in a few very important ways. Greece is now larger and much more realistic looking, the Aegean has been changed up some, I expanded Italy by a slight amount, and I pushed Italy up by a tile or two to try to gain a better relation to Greece. To counteract that, I moved Britain and parts of France one tile up. My rationale was that Northern Britain wasn't Romanized, and irregardless Italy is going to be more important than the Isles in this game.

As of now, Greece is as large as it needs to be, as close as what it's shaped like in real life as possible, Italy is larger, everything has just enough room, and it's kept in proportions as much as possible without hindering gameplay(ie tiny Greece with 3-5 civs)

Check it out and give me feedback on it.

Attached Files:

6. ZachScape

ZachScape King

I'm almost done with the the next one where I'm just working on Egypt, Somalia, Arabia, and the Persian Gulf, basically all of the Middle East and the Caucuses. I changed the Greek Islands a little and added a significant amount of room on the eastern and south eastern Mediterranean coast. So I'm going to upload it in either half an hour. If not, probably tonight or tomorrow at 3. I'm shooting for half an hour. Once I do, do you think you can merge them, because I'm changing Arabia on a large scale?

*If it's good, I mean. (I'm doing a lot of trial and error. I'll explain later)

7. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

I can't look at it right now kravixon (not in Windows), but it'd be better to change the BMP also.

You also Zach, for any changes you plan. If it's in both the WB and the BMP it will be much, much useful later.

If you don't know what to use with it, Microsoft Paint should be OK as long as you use the same colors (there's a button to take color from a pixel) and the pencil, though something like Gimp is ages better (for moving, resizing zones and all that).

You could directly generate the WBsave from the BMP but it's a bit complicated if you're not used to those kind of things.

Attached Files:

8. ZachScape

ZachScape King

I don't really know what a BMP is.

On another note, I lost the map I was working on for the past 2 hours, 5 minutes before I was going to upload it... stressed the hell out of me. It was exactly how I wanted it.

Also, I check out Krav's map. That Italy looks great game-play wise, but not at all like the real Italy. I'm fine with that. But increasing Italy to that size completely destroyed Sardinia, Corsica, and Sicily. Spain and France also look discombobulated. Greece and the islands look great though. I'm going to put a little more emphasis on Crete, though.

I'll use this map to redo what I did, and I'm going to post a strategy layer of what I did*. The map won't be ready for a while though.

Edit: Never mind what I said in Italics. Was too sloppy and confusing. But so we don't have a conflict of interests at the same time, please don't work on the ME or Egypt.

9. ZachScape

ZachScape King

My map will be ready in 10-20 minutes. Check back by 9:15.
    BTW, I edited post 3 on the Units/rel thread. Check out the spoiler and see if the buildings look OK (there's a lot for Sumeria).

View attachment Jedi_Zedit v2.2.rar
    I worked hard on it so you BETTER like it!!!!:gripe:
    Oman looks kinda wierd, but Arabia looks good overall.
    -I did many important Rivers
    -Completely changed right half of Arica and all of Arabia.
    -Changed Caucuses
    -Made Mediterranean islands better. (I did something that I think will work for Sicily)
    -Touched up Spain and France, north Adriatic, Crete, Cyprus, west Africa.

Seriously, I hope yo like.:smug:

10. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

Zach:
    Don't like what you did to Arabia (what's the point of connecting Red Sea with Persian Gulf?, there won't be an indian civ anyway) and Palestine. Rivers shouldn't be put yet. A detail about that. In Antiquity the Nile delta was nowhere as populated as it is now (I think most egyptians live there nowadays). It should be made smaller. Remember the map is rotated from a normal perspective and not on scale. The focus on Ancient Egypt wasn't there. And some islands are so huge they look ridiculous next to some regions.

Changes:
    Adopted Italy and Greece from kravixon. Only difference is Eubea made as small as it was in the previous version (the island was never important nor highly populated).
    Adopted Sicily and another details from Zach.
    Gallia 1 tile shorter. (that and Iberia should remain like that, no more tiles)
    Smaller Sinai.

I can't find a form for Corsica and Sardinia good enough.

All IMO of course.

Attached Files:

11. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn King

One key thing to keep in mind when comparing RFCE, RFC, and RFCA is that the usable map size changes. I noticed when playing RFCE that it felt really big compared to the RFC map, because most of the map is usable. In RFC, Siberia, Sub-Saharan Africa, Central Asia, and most of North and South America simply aren't used or usable until 1700 or so. This helps keep the RFC map feeling much smaller than its simple dimensions.

Water is important for that as well. There's much more ocean in a globe map than either Antiquity or Europe would have.

I'd also like to see how big maps without Rome/Carthage would be. They wouldn't need Germany, Spain, Britain, or western North Africa, and might have more room for an Indian or Greco-Indian civ.

12. ZachScape

ZachScape King

But I think those two are just minor influences on the areas we are focusing on. How important were they? Also, have you been checking out the maps lately. Because your input would be really helpful.

13. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn King

I can't seem to open the worldbuilder files. I get a CTD.

14. ZachScape

ZachScape King

What does that mean?

15. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn King

crash to desktop.

Is there some way I should be opening these? Despite my amateur love of modding and geography, I really haven't fiddled with the WorldBuilder much at all.

16. ZachScape

ZachScape King

What I do is click it, download, then extract to public maps under BtS. What do you do?

17. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn King

I double-click the maps, crashes. I open Civ4, try to start a new scenario with the maps, crashes. I start a different game, then try to load them in the Worldbuilder, and it crashes. The crash comes a couple of seconds after I pick a leader, and while the map is initializing.

AppName: civ4beyondsword.exe AppVer: 3.1.3.1 ModName: cvgamecoredll.dll
    ModVer: 3.1.7.0 Offset: 0016cb50

18. ZachScape

ZachScape King

I think you need E-suranse...
    Try picking another leader because the civ you pick may have been wiped out in world builder because of turning land to coast under invisible units.

19. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

Make sure you run it in normal BtS and not RFC or anything.

I'll check Jedi's file later on.

20. ZachScape

ZachScape King

Did you take a look at mine (post 49)?
    -I agree with Jedi on Spain and France. Now that I look at it, I don't know what I was thinking.
    -Arabian Sea should get connected to Red for several reasons:
    .........-Trade
    .........-Many Empires will have access to Persian Gulf/ South Asia. Their Navies should be able to enter ..........Mediterranean if Forts are built on Sinai.
    -Rivers are mostly for reference. But Jedi is right about slanted Nile.
    -We have to work on Italy and Greece. They should be enlarged, but are too bulky. Peloponesse should be more slanted. And the 'Foot' of Italy looks too stubby.
    -Mediterranean has practically no room. I think it is time to make the map bigger. Maybe we can shift Africa down and Iberia/France west?