1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC:Antiquity Map Development Thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by kravixon, Mar 25, 2009.

1. ZachScape

ZachScape King

Oh! I forgot about India! The biggest thing I had in mind for India was that it could supply the West with silk, since we don't have China. Also, even though I don't know where spices are grown around India, we should add some around the Indus.

2. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

I put 1 spice in Yemen, 2 in India (I think, also has cotton), 2 in Transoxiana.

There's no silk on the map, as there was no silk out of China in the time frame of the mod. Instead, the "access" resource, now in 3 places of the map (coastal Egypt = Berenice, Yemen and coastal Persia; I don't know about an extra one in Transoxiana or Indus delta), would allow "Trade Route Projects" (exactly as Colonies in RFCE, one of which would refer to China and provide silk).

Also the point is to NOT have something like silk just by mere conquest.

Edit:
    - Changed moreless the Tigris-Eufrates line with your indications, added 4 tiles to the Nile Delta (perfect size for me) and 1 tile to southern Italy.
    - Now there's ocean too.
    - I understand your concern with Italy, but tried various edits and, as of now, it's the lesser evil. Moving the entire Adriatic cramps Illyria too near the Danube. That region isn't supposed to be important, but it would look really bad. Also, Greece can't be moved without reducing the Aegean. I think it's greatly balanced in this moment, even if it doesn't look at its correct rotation.
    - Less wheat. Should be a key resource, with a food bonus % from granary. Very important in Antiquity.
    - One more dye for Phoenicia. They are also supposed to control the one in Cyprus; and the only other one in the map (next to Alexandria) should "appear" late, as the other resources around the city, to reflect its appearance near 340 BC (that is, the city will probably be built by egyptians but only get those resources around at that date). That means for the most time only Phoenicians will control dye (no special resource, just dye as it is).
    - Don't understand what you mean with Africa.

Attached Files:

3. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

I'm looking at it now. Are the two coastal tiles in the middle of the Nile Delta intentional? I'm assuming they're a mistake; if not they look pretty weird.

I was going to change it and upload it, but this is much easier. If you examine Britain, on the Western shore it looks like there is grass under the water. If you select the coast terrain and click on the water next to the land it will remove that. The other thing is a river on the west coast of France that is at the same level as Britain; the river extends too far into the ocean by one tile.

But Map-wise it's really, really nice. The resources look good, but they'll have to be tested of course to see how the civs handle them. Good work!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  4. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

It seems there is some problem in either our games, as I see no coastal tile in the middle of the delta, nor continue to see what you mean by rivers extending into the ocean. (?)

Did you download the last publicmap and the mod folder?

5. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

I thought so, but I'll download it again.

If the map is workable, which it looks like it is, what comes next?

6. ZachScape

ZachScape King

Lot of coding I figure.
    -The civilizations (we could just edit names for now)
    -start points and spawn points
    -possibly add stability, but that is enormous as we have to redo that, right?
    -We don't need technology right away. Let's just see how workable the land is with generic.
    -Settler and war maps
    -City names map, but only in English at first.

But after we do even one of those things, playing by ear can be easy. I have hardly any time on the computer lately because of multiple school projects, but once that is done, I'll be able to help (mostly as an apprentice. I'm trying to lean how to mod, so at least I'll be able to see what step by step does).

7. micbic

micbic Optimistic Pessimist

How is that going guys?

8. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

I began to do that days ago, using the TAM civs, techs and units as a template, but it's very hard to change that much things in XML. A small error who-knows-where, and it stops working.

Which happened, because I messed up along the way.

Nevertheless I'll try to take some steps back and post the files with just the map, worker actions coded (which aren't in the version posted here) and religions (had some free time back then and completed most of that except a few interface graphics), taking out unused resources (aluminium, coal), units (ICBM...), etc.

BTW, if I understand correctly, for RFCE whoever started it (3Miro? sedna?) took Rhye's files from RFC and changed them directly. It would be interesting to know which exactly is the way to incorporate all that Python and the SDK...

I suggest once that is cleared up we can begin the discussion about techs and civics. And finish the civ list.

9. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

What religions were you going to run with? I ask because of the time period and Christianity and someone suggested Buddhism, which I'm pretty against.

10. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Prince

ill admit the only thing i know about rome is from rome total war, but are you going to have just the roman empire as a civ, or SPQR and the 3 families?

11. ZachScape

ZachScape King

This project is going to be on halt for a while since RFC: Greek World is the clear winner of the next project. But once/if we do make this mod, it will be the Roman civilization. Thanks to dynamic names, we can have it the Roman republic, then whatever else...

12. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn King

The three families in RTW are near-total fabrications, invented for gameplay purposes for that game.

13. ZachScape

ZachScape King

Also, we can make up names for alt history, if desired.

14. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

Done nothing for months. Tried making a mini-mod with the map, religions and copying the TAM techs (just for show). Impossible.

I suppose the project is dead now, with only the map.

What is RFC: Greek World?

15. ZachScape

ZachScape King

I say it is just on hold.
    Greek World was a mod for Vanilla, and is a circular map of the Mediterranean. You can find it on Rhye's site.

I think we should find out if RFC Greek world is the winner. If it is not, we will start it again.

16. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Prince

i can't find any mention of a new RFC: Greek World.

17. ZachScape

ZachScape King

"What will we research next?" in the main RFC forum.