RFC Classical World

Discussion in 'RFC mod-mod: Classical World' started by srpt, Dec 8, 2011.

1. DrZomboss

DrZomboss Brrrainz Gourmet

Well, in fact, I haven't updated the mod for a while.
    Why there's 'permanent war or peace' between Western Rome and Byzantium?
    And the 550AD map REALLY needs to be improved. The other maps aren't perfect, but it's OK, although the 550 AD map has some old city names (Greek names for Sassanids, Roman names for Byzantium and a lot of other mistakes).
    The settler maps should simply allow a civ to settle any city in their core and maybe border province.
    PS The Maccabees invasion events is NOT fixed, it happened to me in 60 AD.

2. srpt

srpt Deist

rev 95

Rhodes and Pontus should now flip to the Byzantines

the Kushans no longer start with Marksmanship

added some barbs for the Kushans

Shush now becomes Gundeshapur for the Sassanids so they get their own language for that.

fixed some names on the 550AD map

the AIs starting units are now immobile for 2 turns, except for 1 settler.

3. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

Would it be possible to push the Ptolemaic Alexandreai UHV goal to 50 BC? At 100 BC, it's still extremely difficult to beat the Hindu holy city, Pataliputra. Cranking about 15 culture / turn by 150 BC, I was still about 150 culture points behind Pataliputra in Alexandreia.

4. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Actually, you can just put that in the Persian city name language since the Sassanids are the only civ that actually uses the Persian language now.

5. srpt

srpt Deist

last commit had an error preventing the Byzantine spawn. fixed in rev 96

6. DrZomboss

The revision 96 definitely doesn't work :(
    And when I'm saying something, I'm sure
    PS Ziz and Lpqy still :sleep: don't change to Panormus and Leptis Magna. Saguntum needs the reconquest name for the Romans.

7. srpt

srpt Deist

error in the CityNameManager (my error not DC123456789's)

fix incoming

renaming the scenarios so they list in the proper order when you're selecting them

commit is up, #97

8. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

West Rome collapsed by the first "barbarian" civ i.e. Vandals, Visigoths, which is too early.

Sassanids, ironically, are now a bit too powerful against the Byzantines. Maybe Byzantine AI strength can be regulated by events to reflex periodic waxing and waning.

9. srpt

srpt Deist

perhaps the 8 str Sassanid Cataphract is bit too powerful?

actually, that comment about horse archers not being as effective against armored targets has got me thinking about a couple of things:

the unit combat catergories could be changed to suit the period better. heavy and light infantry might be better designations than just "melee". of course then we have skirmishers/javelinmen which are kind of a melee/missile hybrid.

another idea would be different values for attack and defense. I never liked the fact that civ got rid of that distinction and I don't think it would be very hard to add it back in.

another thought I've had is to have 1st strikes apply even if a different unit on the same tile is attacked.

10. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

I agree that it's unfortunate that attack/defense got dropped. Simulating it with bonuses/penalties may be tedious work and would be difficult for any player new to the system to grasp, but it's a valid idea.

I hesitate to say that the cataphract is too powerful, since there are other factors at play (if the eastern front is peaceful, then Sassanid power is entirely diverted westwards, with dire consequences for Rome. It is a plausible scenario, though.)

I'd say maybe glance at Rome 2 Total War's unit & weapon types for a bit of inspiration. Spears and swords should be differentiated, which would mean we could nerf the cataphract, while still being powerful against the sword-bearing legions. The East would recover when their sword-bearing legions revert to heavy spearmen. The cataphract would also fare well against horse archers that aren't 'Heavy Horse Archers' in this model.

11. srpt

srpt Deist

just fixed a major dysfunction in the code that's supposed to ensure a 3 kingdoms scenario in China in the 320BC and 80BC scenarios. the bug goes all the way back to the transition from the small map.

12. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Was the bug causing Qin not to respawn as Shu Han? If so, good.

13. DrZomboss

I think I've found why Western and Eastern Rome are in war - they have 'permanent war or peace' and Western Rome sometimes prefers to declare war on Byzantium. Maybe you can do a script that forces them to make peace on the meeting?
    PS Arab city names are a disaster, especially West Africa. Carthago didn't change to Tunis and I also think Tisfun should change to Bagdad.

14. srpt

srpt Deist

Shu Han was spawning but was not at war with the city they were supposed to be attacking.

permanent war/peace for east and west Rome was put in to prevent west Rome from declaring war on the flip. I'd be happy to have a better solution but I haven't found one. I don't think anyone but Zomboss has seen them at war and he doesn't have python exceptions enabled so it could have been anything, most likely Roman rebellion code.

fixed Tunis, update coming soon, working on some other respawns.

15. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Nope, last time I played to the Byzantine spawn they were at war with Rome, though that was revision 88.

16. Cetrix

Cetrix Merovingian

Byzantines doesn't flip eastern cities from Rome in my game.

[edit] I load the game, and it was fine this time. Weird.

17. DrZomboss

Starting from 220 AD, Hephtalites leader is.......Pusyamitra Sunga???
    EDIT: And Sima Yan commands the Kingdom of Kambuja!!!

NOTE: This is not a joke

18. DrZomboss

I think you should consider modifying the settler maps to make them like the Arabian and Sri Vijayan ones - the main city names should be there but other places should also have a possibility to be settled - on my last game Arabia found Sisan, Ardanis Portus and Tauris (in Armenia) and Sri Vijaya found Bhadrakh (in Kalinga)
    PS I had an event - Pusyamitra Sunga declares a new Empire in the Ganges plain! After a 20-30 turns, I get - The Mauryan emperor has been assassinated by his commander in chief, Pusyamitra Sunga! Should it be like that? Additionally, the Sunga leader is Maues....

19. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

See here. I'm planning to do the Celtic and Dacians ones sometime this week, possibly today.

20. DrZomboss

Thanks! I thought no one was thinking of the settler maps :goodjob: