RFC Classical World

Discussion in 'RFC mod-mod: Classical World' started by srpt, Dec 8, 2011.

1. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

IMO no civ should ever raze a pre-existing city just to rebuild it right back on the same tile the next turn.

2. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Yes, I agree, I mean what is the point anyways?

Plus, in case of Byzantium things are really difficult as is if you pick 320 BC start. AI Rome may own 1/4 of your regular 220 AD Eastern Empire, none of my cities had Christianity. Huns raped me mercilessly and I got no available mercenaries to hire and save my capital. Why do those mercenaries appear in such a few numbers in the pool?

3. srpt

srpt Deist

the accounts I've read say Constantine "refounded" the city, so I did it that way.

its not really intended to play the Byzantines from the 320BC start.

the mercenaries module is a bit of a mystery to me still. I can't seem to stop it creating super-units and I don't know why it just dries up in the later eras. I'll look into it eventually.

4. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Well, I don't think refounding means "tearing down the entire city and rebuilding from scratch" (since Constantine wasn't Nero); I think it was more like "build a imperial palace, administrative buildings, and decorate the already pre-exisiting city to make it suitable as a capital".

5. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Yes, I agree! As a rule of thumb one always expects smoother development. Say, Byzantium thrives as a normal Roman city and then it gets a Palace of the new civilization.

6. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Well, then what's the point of introducing that mechanic there in the first place? You should also remember that a lot of people (like me) like to start at the earliest possible start, no matter what civ they play (creates pretty interesting scenarios)- so at least it should make more sense from it.

Also, the Sarmatian Steppe province is slightly wrong at the Caspian Sea.

Adulis/Zula should probably be 1SE of its current position, to be more accurate (it should probably be 1E 2S actually, but that would crowd Axum and Azal too much).

As well, what do you think of the city name and settler maps I posted earlier?

7. Exorro

Exorro Chieftain

I was going to play as Sri Vijaya but Sundrapura spawned in the ocean. Think there may be some more bugs than all the cities now named city (the ones who had names at some point)

As Tibet, the second and third UHVs do not trigger. I got the borobudur and it didn't work, and it never even checked the third one (didn't give a yes or no past 800 AD). I guess you already know this though. For future reference, is there like a list of civs who have unfinished UHVs? Because it seems a lot of the later ones aren't done yet.

I also see Tang is incomplete since 840 AD is ten years after the game ends.

8. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

The super unit thing seems to be that units could get any promotion randomly, and since g_bBackfillPrereqPromotions is set to true, then a merc could randomly get combat 5, and then combats 1 to 4 to fill prereqs.

Also, for the merc pool drying up, consider these variables:

Code:
    # The max size of the global mercenary pool. No more mercenaries will be added by the
    # game to the pool if the max number is reached. This feature does not disable the
    # fire mercenary feature. This variable is used to control the load time for the 
    # "Mercenary Manager" screen. 
    # Default valus is 100
    g_iMaxGlobalMercenaryPoolSize = 8 #srpt

# Change this number to increase or decrease the ratio between the number of 
    # mercenaries and units in the game. For instance setting the value to 10 means that
    # there will be 10 mercenaries available in the game for every 100 units (a 1:10
    # ratio). Setting the value to 4 means that there will be 4 mercenaries available in
    # the game for every 100 units (a 1:25 ratio). 
    # Default value is 10
    g_iRatioMercenariesToRegulars = 10

9. srpt

srpt Deist

neither of the mercenary variables you quoted changes as the game progresses, afaik, so I don't think they are the problem.

I have tried banning some high level promotions but it doesn't seem to be working.

don't forget you can hire some of those Huns

I have never gotten very far with the Chalukyans. how close were able to get?

rev 214

I added recent city names for Dacia, Syria and Anatolia

Dacian capital moved on their settler map and some sites added

Tibet UHVs are fixed

Sundapura is fixed

Adulis moved 1 SE, resources moved to match

Caspian Sea border fixed

fixed the end date of the mod. it now ends in 850AD, as intended. its just an arbitrary date that allows some time for a couple of later civs to finish UHVs.

to clarify about 320BC byzantines, I'm happy to allow you to play them that way, that is I think it would be kind of silly to try to prevent it, but balancing it is very time consuming and way, way down my priority list.

10. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

Is there something that would cause a mercenary to appear in the global pool but not the player's pool? With a global limit of 8, the pool could very quickly dry up if the player doesn't have the possibility to empty everything in the pool.

11. srpt

srpt Deist

rev 215

Chalukyans now start with Patronage but with just 1 settler

moved the marble near Ujjain and Bharuch so that it can be worked by either city

marble is a luxury now

12. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Could you add an Ethiopian/East African city name "language"? I have a couple of renames for it.

13. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Narbo was a prosperous port, and a major city in Roman times. It is therefore inaccurate to portray it as an inland city it became in 14 century after city lost its port.

14. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

15. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

First gold goal for Vandals is near impossible unless you get lucky with great merchant. Also did we talk about allowing cities to enjoy full bonus once planted on resources, the same way DoC and SoI have it?

And why, why why everything needs to cost so many hummers for newborn civs! It takes eons to raise an army or build 2-3 essential buildings in each city!

16. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

If you hire a merc, does it count in the "merc pool"? If so, we could see how the merc pool, capped at 8, could be empty by the later game...

And how am I supposed to take Taxila as the Bactrians? It's a walled city with at least one archer and 3 spearmen, and all the starting units are horse, archer or spear...

Also the Bactrians now have no access to horse unless they found a new city in the north of Margiana, or capture Samarqand, a walled city on a hill...

Spoiler :

17. srpt

srpt Deist

I've never had a problem taking those cities as Bactria. build a catapult. camp Samarqand and wait for barbs to attack. you definitely got unlucky with the great general though, I've never seen that before.

cities on resources in RFCCW is supposed to be the same as DoC.

Narbo is supposed to be a port, but 1 of the inland tiles has that name to. was it a Visigothic Narbo? they may have spawned in the wrong spot and thereby erased the old Narbo.

I'll try playing the Vandals. any ideas to make the first goal more doable?

I don't share your frustration about early production.

the constants in the merc module are quite close to the original values so I don't think they are the reason. hopefully I can get some time to figure it out soon.

18. Exorro

Exorro Chieftain

Eh? I got it. The kind of great person I got didn't even matter because I used him for a golden age I think. Sliders to 0% for everything so it all went to gold. Problem was that it didn't get checked, so even with all that gold it still said I failed. Also having bulk trade is a necessity.

Production is kinda tough at first though.

Hey! Tibet works fine now! Thanks!

19. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

I agree with srpt on starting production: usually you get a resource or two hooked up and city productivity takes off.

20. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

Wait a minute... this isn't Illyria!

Spoiler :

EDIT:

Baktria doesn't start with the tech for catapults, has no city-taking units, there's a chronic lack of mercenaries in the pool, the cities it needs for its tight UHV are walled, barbarians force the Baktrian player to keep some forces in the north... it's far too demanding.