RFC Classical World

Discussion in 'RFC mod-mod: Classical World' started by srpt, Dec 8, 2011.

1. agentxorange

agentxorange Warlord

Hi srpt, been playing this mod for a while now, just wondering if you would like a dedicated bug reports thread or if you just wanted any reports in this thread. Just thinking with all the activity now that that might not be a bad idea.

2. srpt

srpt Deist

since we've been given this whole sub-forum I guess we should try to fill it up so yes lets use the bug-report thread

3. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Let me ask you this: why did you set tech costs so high, e.g. 1000s of :science: in early game? Did you touch this since your return? Something with the game feels just way too different then before...

4. srpt

srpt Deist

I changed the gamespeed tech modifier but not the actual tech costs. I remember balancing a few relative to other contemporary techs. can you be more specific?

I haven't commited this stuff yet but I moved Indraprastha's horses west so they can only be worked by Lavapuri and gave Lavapuri an iron as well, changing it from a marginal city to a key strategic one.

5. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

Holy carp, srpt is back! Time to rev up the old civ4 engine...

6. srpt

srpt Deist

hi Crossphazer

svn 251

fixed an error in the force limit calculation

7. MCBC6

MCBC6 Chieftain

Hey @srpt I have been reading this forum for about a week now and i was really excited to play the mod. However, i have little experience installing mods, and when i load the mod, it simply loads the regular BTS screen and im unable to find the mod anywhere, even though it has the text in the top right saying RFC classical world. Thank you for taking the time to make such an excellent mod and i would be very happy if you can help me, but if not i understand. thanks you

8. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Starting game as Romans. Literature 2534 :science: :eek:, Archery 1949 :science:, Horticulture 1169 :science:. What in a world? :crazyeye:

9. calad

calad Emperor

I actually like high techcost. Antique was time of slow process.

10. srpt

srpt Deist

it could be tweaked a bit but I don't think its a big issue. its never affected my enjoyment of the mod. Literature is a bit pricey but I still got it on time as the Parthians, the 1st civ that has a race for it, in 90 years/turns.

svn 252

changed the AIWars calculation to include a vassal's master's power and attitude

11. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

But not to this point! You guys saying this is by design and not by error? Spending 150 turns for 1 tech is reasonable? :crazyeye:

12. srpt

srpt Deist

its not 150 turns. I rolled a Roman start and after Taras and Mediolanum flipped Horticulture was 40 some turns, and thats with a total population of about 7.

13. Brew

Brew Warlord

On that note, it would be nice to get the strategy thread going again. I posted a q re: Bactrians there if anyone wants to help.

14. Brew

Brew Warlord

I've always felt conquest UHV's should be more ambitious, and now with the longer game I feel even more strongly. Technically, for Alexander's whole empire the Seleucid UHV should include Sindh, Gandhara, Bactria, and Sogdiana, and the Umayyad Empire should include Baetica, Iberia, Lusitania, Armenia, Sindh, Sogdiana, and Ferghana, as two examples. I haven't tried the Seleucids yet, but I never had a problem getting all of the Arab territory and still winning a UHV even on the old speed (of course the date would be changed to 710 or 715 to be historical).

To weigh in on the tech speed thing, I got Mathematics through Philosophy by 160 BC with the Ptolemies, so I think it's fine. I realize they are a strong research civ, but still...
    In fact, I think they are a bit too easy. But I'd much rather see a more difficult UHV than a weaker civ, as a general rule - it's just more fun to do something difficult with a strong civ than to struggle to do something that should be easy with a weak civ.

For some reason it seems like the AI is obsessed with building roads instead of improving tiles. They'll have super-intricate road networks and no resources around their capital improved. I've tried giving them more workers in the WB and they just keep building roads.

The Great Lighthouse is pretty lame without fairgrounds or foreign trade routes (and switching from Tyranny to Tribal Custom as the Ptolemies seems wrong). Maybe the GL power could be +1 route and could override the foreign route limitation? Currently, Alexandria is a far cry from the greatest trading port in the Hellenistic world that it should be.

15. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Which is double strange as in CW no roads are needed to hook up resources...

16. calad

calad Emperor

I'm not expert of this mod nor I know your situation but this mod is slow. You need plenty of buildings to make your cities effective on anything. Even good city's on good location are useless without many slaves and later buildings. This is what gives this mod an ancient atmosphere.

17. srpt

srpt Deist

sorry for the late reply on this. have you installed other mods successfully? 2 common mistakes are to put the mod in users/X/my games/civ4 etc rather than program files/civ4/etc and to not remove the extra containing folder that generated when unzipping the mod.

re Tech speed

yes the mod is slow. yes I want it to be relatively slow but it may be a bit too slow right now, at least for some civs. I have rolled a couple of Tang starts and I'm not sure their tech goals are achievable. I'm not the greatest player so its hard for me to judge. research speed can be tweaked on a per-civ basis and I've buffed the Tang and Arabs slightly as well as giving a tiny overall boost.

making the conquest goals harder sounds great.

I also agree about the Great Lighthouse and Alexandria and the fact that the Ptolemies should neither be in a civic that disallows foreign trade nor one called "Tribal Custom". they also have another reason to not be in Tyranny: the cultural part of the Alexandria goal. a possible solution would be to change the goal to "largest and most prosperous city" and remove the foreign trade routes part of Tyranny, maybe increase the culture penalty to -30%.

also, because the regular download is now extremely obsolete I'll put a new one up today.

svn 253

fixed an issue causing settled slaves to not properly disappear when switching civics

fixed an error in Saba's 3rd goal

new regular download up

18. Brew

Brew Warlord

I like the idea of the goal, but the -20% culture for Tyranny is already a pretty big drag - for some reason I find it especially frustrating with the Chinese. I would say give it +1 unhappiness in all cities, but the AI already has a tough time with unhappiness.

19. MCBC6

MCBC6 Chieftain

@srpt I have not. I played civ 4 for years and am just now trying to install mods. Also, I am not technologically enlightened at all, so this might also be a problem. However I did unzip the download and the folder is in the mods folder. The beyond the sword folder is in the my games, but in regards to program files there is no my games folder. Should Move the my games folder to program files and then see how that goes? Once again I am very sorry to be such a nuisance, especially considering how backwards I am in regards to how this works. If you do not have the time to deal with me it is ok. If you don't though, please try to direct me to somebody who does have the time, because j have searched the Internet for days trying to find this. I am deeply sorry if I sound rude in any way, thank you for your time.

20. calad

calad Emperor

Open mod folder, open mods folder, go to maps and double click. Then in game exit current game, go to scenarios and now you can pick any civ you want.