RFC Classical World

Discussion in 'RFC mod-mod: Classical World' started by srpt, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Sitalkas

Sitalkas Prince

this is a map with all the settlements of the playable factions in Rome 2 total war, it can really help improve some of the city-placing and city-naming http://i.imgur.com/sb8EGIK.jpg

Srpt, what do you think of a Scythian civ? Are you open to brain-storming ?

2. srpt

srpt Deist

I've looked at a million maps and I'm pretty happy with the city names and sites as they are. if you have specific suggestions go ahead and suggest them.

I'm open to any kind of brain storming.

3. Sitalkas

Sitalkas Prince

I thought it would help to name places like Gelonus , Aktau, Mtskheta etc... :/

4. srpt

srpt Deist

sure I'll add those

5. Cetrix

Cetrix Merovingian

srpt, didn't noticed yet but are the "conquest" goals too easy now for early nations (and others) ? With the 1year by turn. I remember hard times with seleucids to conquer Alexander's empire in time.

6. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

I can personally tell you that the city name map is orders of magnitude more comprehensive than that.

7. Sitalkas

Sitalkas Prince

This is my idea about the Scythian civ.

They will play the role of early barbarians that exist currently; This means a huge nerf (maybe even removing) all current barbarian activity relative to the Scythians (attacking the Bactrians, the Tocharians etc).

This must be applicable to all games, whether or not a human player controls them. How to do so? With their unique power.

UP : All horse and horse-archer units have hidden nationality. This will create the "barbarian" units that will go out and attack all civs. It will work like the privateers in civilization.

Of course this replacement cannot last forever, its effect can last up until the Kushan invasion. From then on all barbarian activity can continue (Sakas, Hephthalites etc).

The Scythians established and controlled a vast trade network (Silk Road) connecting Ancient Greece, Persia, India and China (source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythians), so this may lead us to their unique building.

UB : Scythian Fairground , a fairground with +1 happiness when controlling a horse.

this will be helpful as there are few , maybe none, luxury bonuses near their area.

As for their unique unit, this might be something like this.

UU : Scythian Raider , replaces horseman, same strength, slightly few hammers, start with blitz (so they can pillage and attack at the same turn).

I got some print-screens, to show you an initial spawn for them. How their starting cities would look like. Of course I've added some crucial bonuses near them, and a river that will help them near Caucasus.

If you want, I can come up with ideas for UHV.

I believe that both the map and the game will look even better after adding them.

Attached Files:

8. Sitalkas

Sitalkas Prince

I am sorry, I didn't want to offend anyone. I just wanted a few names that were missing to be filled.

By the way, I saw that Gelonus already exist in this mod, though in a different place than the map made by Creative Assembly team...

9. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Yeah, I used the location that Wikipedia gives. From what I've been able to skim it seems that their power base was north of the Black Sea rather than the Caspian at this point, though.

10. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

sprt, with all due respect, are you sure about this? A civilization that lasted 41 years? Do we absolutely need them at this point, when we didn't even have Ghana yet...

I understand that you are really into India and that this was a remarkable Buddhist empire
    (last one in India, I gather), but 41 years/turns? And another Indian civ?

11. calad

calad Emperor

Looks like I presented my idea badly. Sorry about that.

So again: if you look this image you notice that after Olympic the second largest or the largest religion in Middle-east is Judaism...

What my problem here is, is similar like in original rise and fall: Judaism is over presented. In vanilla rise and fall Egypt always became a Jewish state and it made no sense. What I protest here is over presentation of Judaism and lack of other religions. And Im not master of this mod so I dont know how likely civs pick ahistorical religions as state religions but if they do Judaism is very likely option because it is very common religion and has only two or three competitors.

12. srpt

srpt Deist

with all due respect its my mod and I can add 20 more Indian civs if I want. need? what's need? what do I need? I know what you need. Ghana isn't coming. I added Harsha because I (me, myself) wanted to play them. thats all the reason I need. I'm going to have lots of fun playing them, fun I couldn't have unless I added them. if you don't want to play them fine, but you will have to fight him. haha.

Harsha is in, more obscure idiosyncratic ideas may follow and there's nothing you can do about it. get used to it or get lost.

our city name map is amazing and I'm grateful for it, because others did more than me. many, many thanks to all who contributed.

I'm warming up to the Scythian idea. they would need lots of special treatment to work well and adding a civ slot that early is quite a bit of paperwork, so I hesitate.

for the UP I like the idea of being able to pick up and move cities. I always remember the story of Darius trying to engage them and the Scythians continually retreating. the hidden nationality thing could be built into the UU.

what are your UHV ideas?

I agree it would be more accurate to include those extra religions. I didn't want unhistoric civs converting to Judaism either so I made sure it wouldn't happen. Judaism got included because of its huge influence, because it was the state religion and part of the reason for the existence of one of the civs and because their actually were Jewish communities in all of those cities at that time. for me, the other polytheistic religions are the beginning of a slippery slope also, which ends with adding Celtic, Dacian, Nubian, Ethiopian, Sabean (ok maybe the last 3 could share one), Scythian and Turkish.

so I'll think about it

I can vouch that the Qin and Kushan are still hard, at least for me. some have ben recently made harder.

13. Cetrix

Cetrix Merovingian

I'd like to see the scythian civ in this mod. Nice ideas, Siltakas.

14. Sitalkas

Sitalkas Prince

Ah, the moving cities! It would be a unique addition for sure. In Attila : total war, the nomad factions start as nomads, controlling no area or settlement. They roam around the map and build camps. These camps can create units so they can continue roaming and pillaging. When they attack a settlement they have the options to just loot it and go away, raze it to the ground, or capture it. The last option forces the nomads to abandon their nomadic style and focus on building a kingdom - and eventually an empire.

The Genghis Khan mod in Warlords expansion was the first to use such a feature I think. You had your camps which were spawning units every turn. If the camp was placed in desert or plains you were getting horse units, if it was camped in a forest you were getting catapults and so on. If I remember well, you couldn't capture cities and manage them; captured cities worked like puppet states in Civ 5. You were getting techs by capturing settlements.

The moving cities will offer a unique gameplay for sure. I think you are thinking of a unit that will be able to build a 3x3 radius city , and this city will be able to transform to that unit again and migrate, right? The only problem I see here is the lack of production that the new spot will offer, since it will require building farms and cottages and improvement all over again.

But, adding moving cites could lead us to designing their first UHV condition. The Scythians were the first great migrators (Scythia at the end of the 5th to 3rd centuries BC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythia), they moved away from the steppes and they built their first settlement in Scythia Minor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scythia_Minor).

So, the first victory condition would be not to abandon your nomadic way of life (aka don't capture a settlement or use a settler) until the mid of the 1st century AD.

For the second one, I think that it has to be something with trading. As mentioned before, they had established a great trading network from China to Greece. They can use their moving cities to get access to resources found at the steppes and trade them. Have 4 or 5 active trading agreements at the same time, idk something like that.

And the third one, I think it has to be something about looting and pillaging. From their area they can attack : Dacia, Greece, Pontus, Armenia, Asia Minor, Mesopotamia, Parthia, Bactria and Tarim basin. Their UU should do all this dirty work!

Thanks!!

15. calad

calad Emperor

But what this game really needs for is better AI to understand how slaves work, how to attack and defend. This is why AI is so helpless because it has so low production. I guess this is the most difficultest part of game but for players rewarding.

16. srpt

srpt Deist

there is now a script that gives the AI bonus production or gold in certain cases instead of the slave unit.

also there was a bug that caused the nomad civs to leave cities undefended that has since been fixed. I know the AI is not good but its a big thing to tackle.

sorry I have not updated. I have been chasing a bug but I think I may have it.

17. srpt

srpt Deist

svn 255

Harsha is in

some fixes in the Gojoseon and Armenian victory screens

18. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Get lost? Are you drunk? Did anyone hack your account? We never ever had a history of talking like this to each other in the last three years of a very friendly interactions. This is the first time ever you are crossing the line. What exactly has happened to you?

19. Lokki242

Lokki242 That One Guy

Tigranes, srpt, like many others on the RFC modmod forums, is probably a little frustrated right now. I'm an outside viewer, and I don't neccesarily disagree with the things you've been trying to push for here and in DoC, but you tend to be a little bit overzealous and argumentative. You weren't in this particular case, but have been before, and srpt doesn't want to enter debate with you.

If you don't like Harsha, learn how to take Harsha out yourself. If you want Ghana, learn to add Ghana yourself.

If you don't like health changes in certain other mods, go back to an older revision or learn how to change them yourself.

20. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I really appreciate your intervention, but please allow sprt to speak for himself. He is being plain rude in public space. We are discussing bites of information, that's what mod is, but he is being rude with real human being, while we were really friendly for long 3 years, and I am simply shocked. I have interacted very amicably with the guy for many years and I never ever seen him talking like this in public. These forums exist for our opinions, which in one way or another have influenced this particular mod in many direct and indirect ways. The link in my previous post was just the first such example.

Imagine, for a second, that modders are poets. They can write their poems all they want and hide them in their laptops. Nobody can ever voice an opinion about their poems. But the moment you publish something on Internet, or provide download link on public platform like CFC -- any opinion about your work withing forum rules is a fair game. He can mod whatever he likes, I can provide my feedback in any way I like. We don't have to always agree, but we always move on. There is a way to talk about work without getting personal. Because these forums are not on our personal servers I cannot tell him get lost with your mod, and he cannot tell me get lost with your opinions. It really is that simple.