[RFC DoC] The Egyptian Exodus: Far Far South

Sinsyne

Up is down,black is white
The Great Exodus, p. 4-5: Introduction

At the dawn of man the people of the Nile found themselves in a rich and fertile land that promised to become the home of a great power much like the other birthplaces of civilization in Mesopotamia and China. It offered an abundance of food and water, natural ressources for construction, industry, and war.

Despite extensive research it remains unclear what made them stay nomadic. The Neolithic Revolution certainly didn't go past them; earliest archaeological evidence suggests they already knew how to farm, how to plough fields and plant crops. There are even indications they already experimented with building paved roads, an endeavour unsuited to a people not yet settled down.

Some suggest it was outside pressure that compelled them to abandon their land, another people whose memory was lost to the turn of history. But if that was so why would their flight take them a whole 6000 miles instead of ending earlier? The annals of their nameless leader, today variously referred to as The Restless Pharao, The King of Wanderers or The Exiled Sun, are suspiciously specific in their denial of his decision having been influenced by any kind of drugs and so today many egyptologists are arguing about what he might have been smoking, drinking, inhaling or otherwise ingesting(for a thorough analysis of which halucinogens could have been available at the time see Murphy's article Drugs of the Ancient Nile in Nature 413, p. 713-755). Others even believe the wandering King's claim that he received a vision from his father, the sun god Ra, of a land of plenty far far to the south he was destined to rule. The land that later came to be known as Egypt.

Surely we should be past such superstitions in the age of science and reason, but one thing we can't deny: the vision, whether it was fueled by divine inspiration, drugs or simply delusion, turned out to be right.

Author's Note:

This isn't the first time I try this unconventional approach so I can promise I won't just spontaneously collapse from a bad Expansion rating like you might expect(oh yes, Expansion stability will be horrible, but one can survive). In fact, in Vanilla RFC I managed a Space Race victory this way. My Exodites also hold the current Egypt UHV time record across all difficulty and speed settings.

May be bragging a little, sorry(although that last one was such an unbelievable piece of work I feel entitled to it. I won't be redoing that one by the way, not decided yet which victory type to go for but it won't be the UHV). Just wanted to make one thing clear: The Egyptian Exile Kingdom has high aspirations and anything but total victory will be considered a failure worthy of ridicule and shame. So keep reading this piece of wildly alternate history. If I win you will see me achieve something you likely considered improbable to impossible. If I fail you can mock me for my inflated ego and belief in a ridiculous strategy. It's Win-Win for you!

See you soon with the founding and early history of South African Egypt.

I'll take your word for it, and welcome! Subbed

Oh yeah, and before I forget...
[party] [party] :band: :band: [party] [party] :rockon: :rockon: :dance: :dance:
Welcome, Young writer, to the land where the strong control all and the weak "cultured" people burn, where the advanced destroy the primitive, where the UN is a tool for world domination, where democracy is just a means of building things quicker while communism is the most effective economy for large empires more often than not, where those who conquer the quickest and than keep control of their spoils are the most respected, where men love to start as cavemen on their trip to the cosmos, the heavens fall twice with incantations of unbelievable power, where the ultimate religious authority is a white, radioactive rock that can burst forth sometimes with the radiance of a thousand suns[1], where the forecast is continued war in a hell-hole of eternal war against Eurasia EastAsia with a 100% chance of mushroom clouds, or have been forced to abandon their own home due to thermonuclear warfare for the stars. All at the dance of those voyaging writers, who place with the lives of trillions for the purposes of their game.

This is Civfanatics. Only The the strong will flourish under its members iron rule and titanium fists. The weak will be perished, the strong ganged on, the cunning survive.
Do you have what it takes, oh maybe wise and definitely greedy writer?

Standard initiation. Brainwashing starts next week at 10 am.

Oh my god that picture is cool but hurts my eyes :lol: subbed :D

ooo this looks interesting

welcome, young writer, to our proud little sub-forum

God, that picture hurts. STAHP!

How did you do that though?? It's so cool! It looks like it's moving! Did you use some sort of blur filter on a photo-editing program?

Welcome, readers! Looks like I have some followers already and we haven't even started yet. I will have an update with the first 261 turns within the next one or two hours after I'm done with some finetuning and uploaded the images.

Given the general popularity of the trippy vision picture(no drugs involved, so says the Pharao) all future screenshots will of course follow the same formula.

Subbed. Finally; a semi-South Africa story

Yeah, I guess such an exodus is pretty much the only way in RFC short of modding/WBing yourself a civ down there.

South Africa just isn't intended to be settled this early in the game, not just for historical reasons. That city plot is just insane. Even with the travel time and lacking stone/marble you can win the early wonder races without whipping.

How did you do that though?? It's so cool! It looks like it's moving! Did you use some sort of blur filter on a photo-editing program?

I use paintnet with some plugin packs for my image editing, a quite useful piece of freeware. The subdued colours are a product of Soften Portrait, the trippy stuff is indeed a blur effect, Radial Blur to be exact.

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120001

Today my father, the great and powerful god Ra has blessed me with a vision of a land of plenty far to the south, beyond even the root of the nile. As I awakened, I ordered my people to pack their things and be ready to depart at dawn. They are surprised, almost rebellious even if my loyal guard didn't keep them in check. As they say, don't bring a fist to a club fight.

Scribe, let it be known for all eternity I was divinely inspired in my decision, any claims of substances but for the supreme grace of the gods having influenced me are both false and blasphemous! It also has nothing to do with my bet against that jerk Ramses who claims the Nile is a river flowing without a source. Although I am sure that goat and three pearls are soon to be mine.

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120003

In the hills to the south we found some strange animals with parts I am loathe to describe secreting a delicious white liquid. It is quite tasty, although I don't want to know what went through the head of the guy who discovered it.

I had him executed just to be on the safe side.

My people naturally urged me to settle down, if these animals dispense the nectar of the gods then surely this must be the promised land from my vision. Imbeciles! We pressed on, but their complaining never ceased. By the fourth or fifth decade you would expect them to have finally learned their lesson. Filthy commoners! They'd take just any excuse to stop travelling.

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120015

At last, the promised land! I quickly gave the order to establish a permanent settlement here and dubbed our budding city Abdju after my favourite calico. The immediate vicinity is rich in gold but we quickly exhausted the amount we could just pick off the ground. Realizing the potential for our economy I ordered our brightest minds to uncover the incredible mystery of digging a hole.

For many miles around we seem to be alone, only sharing the land with the wild beasts of nature. It is a strange and alien place, the deserts are dry instead of fertile, and to the south are wide green plains the likes of which we had never seen before. At first our people believed the rolling green grass to be cursed but then we discovered some herbs unlike anything we've seen before and with them our medicine made leaps and bounds forward(a hammer to the head is not the best anesthesia to be had, who knew!). Any reports of incidental deaths during the trials of these herbs are surely exaggerated.

The discovery of Mining was a great boost for our development and next we worked on travelling the sea to catch the plentiful crabs a bit off our coast. I don't fully understand the details, but as it was explained to me these 'boats' are just like houses, only upside down and without windows. Quite clever if you asked me.

Seeing the possibility of now traversing the sea I toyed with the idea of travelling further south, beyond the seemingly endless waters. I quickly abandoned that idea when my enraged populace carted me off to another ingenious device they referred to as guillotine. I was only saved thanks to a messenger who reported of a rich source of truffles being discovered and the would-be Pharaocides went into an eating frenzy. That was a close one.

After everything was in order again I must say though I'm not wholly satisfied with the guillotine(I tested it on my well-stuffed rebels of course). That stone blade more crushes than cuts the neck. Perhaps we could find a better material?

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120142

We established a second city called Nekhen on the river to the north-west. Meanwhile we are working on building a road network around our capital. I receive regular reports from my original guard I had sent north to explore the lands there. They met many people and discovered some great riches, but my hopes of them retrieving some mysteries unknown to us remained saddly unfulfilled.

Spoiler :
Fun Fact: While you don't have a city yet your units can cross foreign borders without issue. I didn't know that until my warrior just passed through the Sinai without the popup asking about declaration of war. Usually the archers in Jerusalem would just kill your warrior dead so a quite interesting and useful side-effect of the exodus is that it's making your early exploration of Eurasia much easier. I got every goodie hut between Spain in the west and India in the east I think.

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120168

We have completed a copper mine, allowing us to field a far more formidable military force and of course an improved guillotine. Sadly I have no one to test it on, everybody seemed suspiciously timid and subservient as of late.

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120181

Our seafaring capabilities made a huge step forward and we are working on building a harbor to better bring in the fruits of the sea to feed our growing populace. We are also about to establish a diamond mine to the north-west, clearing the surrounding forest will provide plenty of raw material for the harbor.

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120203

Our first newly equipped regiment finished the long trek north and made contact with the Canaanites. It seems we are old neighbours and their leader, an old dude with a magnificent beard called Moses(the dude, not the beard), told us of their great exodus, his chest swelled with pride.

When our representative calmly explained the details of OUR exodus poor Moses promptly had a heart attack and died. To their credit, his followers at least had the decency to be embarrassed about talking up their little evening stroll.

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120205

We made peaceful contact with the people of Phoenicia. It was a mutually beneficial encounter as we traded secrets and they taught us the art of Hunting.

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120227

At the cost of heavy deforestation around Nekhen we established our third city on the western coast in a region that controls two sources of diamonds. The settlers complained about their houses being placed in the middle of the desert but I told them to stuff it and get a move on.

Oh, the bronze guillotine worked splendidly by the way!

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120231

Great news, we finally fully domesticated the wild cows roaming to the north-east. Oh, also, we completed the Great Cothon in Abdju, a grand project hailed as a wonder of the world that promises to greatly boost our industrial base. I quickly ordered the beginning of a similarly great endeavour to boost our trade with the distant Phoenicia and Babylon.

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120235

It seems the Canaanites were bitter about the death of their leader after all and in an act of wanton aggression smashed their faces into our axes. Scribe, can you redo that part so it actually sounds like we were the victim here? Perhaps they slaughtered that poor obsoletely equipped regiment in their sleep or something like that. Certainly don't mention I sent them as cannon fodder.

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120236

The Babylonians were willing to teach us the art of the written word in exchange for learning about working bronze, a trade we accepted despite already being close ourselves to discovering the secret.

Everyone pointing out any perceived anachronisms of me having had a writer before now will be shot, guillotined and put into the meat grinder.

Our two regiments wielding bronze axes split up, one going south into the peninsula to beat up the Assyrians roaming there, mostly just for the fun of it. The other went north-west to make contact with the Greeks we had heard about from our trade partners. However, it turned out they weren't doing so well as the Hittites had taken their city controlling the strait between the yet unnamed northern and southern landmasses.

There was a tense moment as our axemen brazenly approached the plundered city. Even still wounded from their battle with the Greek forces the Hittite chariots would have easily rolled over our infantry if they sallied forth. But they were too relucant to leave their still unruly conquest behind unguarded and soon the opportunity passed. The cold sweat quickly gave way to cheerful enthusiasm and with a resounding battlecry our army charged forward, forcing the Hittites into a battle in houses and narrow streets where their chariots were useless.

However I had no intention of trying to keep control of such a distant conquest. Instead I gifted the city to the Phoenicians as I saw benefit in bringing them into a stronger position.

I have plans to do the same with Jerusalem, but not yet. First the city has to finish a very important project I am eagerly awaiting the completion of.

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120261

Our industrious capital completed the Great Lighthouse, an impressive structure soaring 300 feet into the sky to guide incoming ships into our harbor. We expect this to greatly boost our trade with the Babylonians, the Greeks, the Phoenicians and whoever else might be out there.

And that's it for now. I had no luck with getting any techs from goodie huts but the herbalist event was a huge deal. Frankly that event should not be possible that early in the game while you're still on 1 pop with nothing to lose. +2 Health is big. I originally had toyed with the idea of going for the Hanging Gardens after my first settler but with the herbalists I changed my build plan. It's still possible to make the important wonders after that, but things get a bit more tense.

I'm quite satisfied with how things went so far, getting the two most important early wonders for my location and well on my way to winning the race for the Great Library.

Comments, critique, suggestions welcome. Also, can anybody guess the important project in Jerusalem I was talking about?

Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120261
Pharao's Log, Sun Date 319.1120236
Star Trek reference? I couldn't read this without Picard's voice.

Also, where did you get all that gold? Huts?

Yeah he got every hut from Spain to India

Indeed. On Marathon a single hut pops something like 200-250 gold on the good result and perhaps 70 on the bad, and I got a good number of them. No techs, but I'm not too unhappy. I once popped Iron Working and another decent tech from huts in a conventional RFC Egypt game, it felt like cheating because it skews the game so much.

I'm going to have to try this strategy.

Go right ahead. It would amuse me to no end if my Exodus concept manages to catch on.

Star Trek reference?

Indeed. But since the Restless Pharao is the son of Ra he of course uses Sun Date instead of Star Date.

I couldn't read this without Picard's voice.

You are free to do that, but to be honest the Pharao's demeanor is more akin to this gentleman here.

Damn, why didn't I think of this before. That totally should have been my leader head.

Retcon everyone! The King of Wanderers is now officially half-Q which also handily explains quirks like his longetivity. Our favourite godlike entity impersonated the sun god Ra to knock up a beautiful princess from the Nile.
Mythology makes much more sense from this premise, particularly the Greek one with Zeus's exploits. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Very nice :D This technique is very interesting to say the least.

All those indeeds and Egyptian mithology stuff makes me also think of Stargate.
It would be more logical if the Pharao would be a Goa'uld you know: a god on Earth, immortal thanks to the sarcophagus, kinda evil as he likes very much the guillotine.
I don't even know if you watched Stargate, and what I said might just look like crazy talk.

It would be more logical if the Pharao would be a Goa'uld you know
Interesting how I talk about Stargate, using a typical Vulcan sentence. :lol:

I'm well familiar with Stargate.

Since we have now referenced Star Trek, Star Wars and Stargate we might as well consider the Pharao's backstory an amalgam of all SciFi out there. Surely I can find an opportunity for Bill & Ted to make a cameo.

And once I reach the year 1900 or so the TARDIS will show up. Oh, the poor Doctor will be baffled how history could have been screwed up like this.

Top Bottom