[RFC:E++/DoC] The Fractured Lands

Bair_the_Normal

転輪聖王
Table of Contents:

Welcome back, Civfanatics Stories and Tales members. Welcome to my newest story. Unlike my previous few, I now have some writing experience, and, thankfully, I am not likely to update my copies of RFC: DoC, by Leoreth, or RFC:E++, which is not likely to be updated any time soon.

I now have much more experience writing both narrative style and history book style, and I hope that my experience will show for it in this story. Regardless, I hope you enjoy, and know that even if you don't, I'll still be posting updates. You've been warned. As you've seen by the title, this story is going to be played in both RFC:E++, as well as RFC: DoC. The way I'm doing this is by playing a full game as Novgorod in RFC:E++, where I can hopefully unite Russia, and will switch to a game of DoC as Russia, and try to emulate the situation as best as possible. Note that I took plenty of liberties with the countries in this AU, and the only correlation with RL Novgorod will be the name.

So now, without further ado, let me welcome you. Let me welcome you to the Fractured Lands.

Let me welcome you to Russia.

Spoiler :

Chapter One: Our Lord of Our Lord​

It is 864 years A.D. The Varangian Prince Yvan is riding away the charred gates of Lord Novgorod the Great. His gaze drifts back across the empty, dead town. He sees a burnt city, houses blackened by the Khazar invaders from the east. He looks once more ahead of him. 2,000 tired and grimy Novgorodians, regular civilians, march on behind him. Despite their torn and deadened look, Prince Yvan knows that behind their tired facades, shining beacons of determination exist. Determination to lead a new life. Determination to found another city. Determination to build an empire, to last throughout the ages. Determination to make a new Novgorod.

Interspersed throughout his troupe of settlers is a huge army, made primarily of conscripted archers, but also containing a number of axemen and skirmishers. Poorly equiped and even worsely trained, most of these soldiers saw their first combat with the Khazar invasion. But despite being beaten back, destroyed, having their houses destroyed, their relatives and friends murdered, their hearts hold the same drive as the settler troupe. The same drive to start anew. The same drive to fight anew. The same drive to conquer a new Novgorod. A new Russia.

But for now, all he had to do, all they had to do, was march on. March on to a new land. March on to a new city. March on to a new future. March on to a new Novgorod.

"Sir!" A voice sounded, coming somewhere from Yvan's right. Yvan looked back. There, always faithfully behind him, rode General Anton Dzezhinsky. Dzezhinsky, a Kyivan-blooded man, born in Novgorod, was the truest friend and staunchest ally to Yvan. He led one of the three remaining divisions of Novgorodian archers, and it was the opinion of many in the army that it was General Dzezhinsky that held the army together, that held it from disintegrating into infighting. Yes, General Dzezhinsky was a true Novgorodian hero, a true Novgorodian friend, and a true protector of Lord Novgorod the Great.

"I've told you alread, Anton. Just call me Yvan." Replied the Prince with a warm smile. "What news do you bring to me?"

"Well, si- Yvan. From our maps of the local areas, we believe that we have found the perfect spot for the reincarnation of Lord Novgorod the Great." said Dzezhinsky, breathless with excitement, his shining eyes breaking through his dirty exterior. "And better yet, it's only less than a day away."

"Really," replied Yvan, his normally bleak and tired expression giving way to a new face. A face of hope, and a face of excitement. "That is truly wonderful. Alert the troops and the settlers at once!"

"Yes, sir!" shouted Anton, once more forgetting how to address his Prince. He turned his horse sharply, riding back into the sea of Novgorodians that were still unaware of the good news.

Yes, the news was good. Lord Novgorod the Great would, in only a few days, rise once more. Novgorod would live another lifetime. But Yvan still worried. Worried not for the near future, in his lifetime. No, he worried about the future. He worried about how Novgorod would defend itself. He worried about how Novgorod would compare to the great empires of its new age. If Novgorod could not survive an attack by the barbaric and simplistic Khazars, how could it withstand the aggression of the great southern Kyivans, or the aggressive Danes to the west? He worried still. But at the same time, he was content. Yvan knew that he would not have to worry about Novgorod. If there were good, skilled people like General Anton Dzezhinsky remaining, the future of Lord Novgorod the Great would be in safe hands, not just for the rest of Yvan's life, but for the rest of Novgorod's life itself.

Yes, he knew. He knew that Novgorod would withstand any future challenges. He knew that Novgorod would elevate itself to be the grandest city in the world. He knew that the lands of Novgorod were the greatest, not just in the Fractured Lands of Russia and Europe, but in the whole, vast, ever fluid world.

Subbed. I cannot resist a story about Russia, comrade! ;)

Long live Mother Russia

For Mother Russia!
/e gets slaughtered due to low quality equipment going up against high quality equipment in hands of actually trained troops in big suits of armor. Damn allies. When New York is named Commandergrad, we'll see who's laughing.

Subbed. Looking forward to this...

Top Bottom