1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Europe -Art and Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by jessiecat, Nov 16, 2008.

1. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

I've started a new thread here where we can discuss artwork, flags, leaderheads and related topics.

2. 3Miro

3Miro Chieftain

We would actually need art for the leaderheads for the new nations, low priority, but contributions are welcome.

3. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

This is where I've transferred the latest list of flags and possible alternatives for the Ottoman, Kievan Rus and Netherlands flags.

4. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

This is where I am posting art and files for proposed new World Wonders, like the Alhambra, the Brandenburg Gate, the Basilica San Marco, The Palacio De Pena and the La Scala Opera House. As well I've included a file which adapts Civ3 wonders to Civ4 format.

5. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Found a few interesting leaderheads in the downloads section. Have a look at these. Files are in the next post.

6. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

@ Sedna 17. Leaderhead files posted here. Tell me if you can use any of these. When I know you're finished with them I'll get rid of these files as my attachment folder is nearly full.

Edit. Files now saved and deleted from this thread.

7. sedna17

sedna17 Chieftain

Ok, I've grabbed all the file currently in this thread, so you can delete some to free up space.

8. SimonB1er

SimonB1er Chieftain

Do you plan adding the flag soon? It would be a nice flavor addition to the test version!:D

9. Cethegus

Cethegus Chieftain

That reminds me of one thing, is there a specific leaderhead thread around? I couldn't find one with a quick look and I don't remember leaders or leaderheads being specifically discussed before.

Also, is the RFCE developping team intending to keep on to the RFC tradition of changing leaderheads and are there any doctrines to go by regarding the addable leaders? Any decided number for leaders per civilization?

10. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

See post 5 for some possible new ones. But there's been little discussion on leaderheads so far as getting the test version to playable beta stage remains a bigger priority. Suggestions are always welcome though and this is the right thread to do that in.

11. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

nice job with flags Jessicat. A few comments: change Venice's color to one among blue sky - teal - emerald green (also ingame possibly). Ottoman's flag is a bit missing ;) Bulgaria&England and Arabia&Cordoba are identical, can we find alternatives ? For example, a single lion for Bulgaria. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Bulgaria

12. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Not my job of course but I suggested some of them. Good ideas about Venice and Bulgaria. Arabia and Cordoba do have the same saying on their flags, roughly "There is no other God but Allah" but they do have the appropriate colours. Black for Arabia, esp. for the Rashidun Caliphate. White with black or green inscriptions was the standard battle flag of Cordoba. Islamic war flags typically had quotations from the Koran but never animistic symbols which were forbidden. Those two are distinct enough and as accurate as we're going to get historically.

13. sedna17

sedna17 Chieftain

Yes, we would like to do leaderheads/leaders which change through time.

I don't think we've had the discussion, but I see no reason to to add pretty much every 1) good quality and 2) period-appropriate leader for each civ we can find. For some civs we'll end up with one at most, for others... well, I suppose we do need a hard limit. How about at most three leaders per civ?

Besides being non-critical for play, there is a good reason for holding off on adding new leaderheads though, which is that they are generally big files and so it would increase the size of all our test versions.

14. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

As I replied above, there are some suggested alternative leaderheads above (post 5) which we might use to replace the present placeholder leaderheads for the Moscowans, Kievan Rus, Poland, Hungary etc. As a straight swap maybe we could replace several of these. Just for flavour of course.:)

15. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Thread updated for further discussion on art and flags.

16. sedna17

sedna17 Chieftain

I'll experiment to make sure I understand any compilcations in replacing the flags...

17. SimonB1er

SimonB1er Chieftain

Did you succeeded implenting them yet?

18. sedna17

sedna17 Chieftain

Jessie, your new maps are nice (and huge!). There's a nice spot to write the name too, so it might look something like this:

Attached Files:

19. SimonB1er

SimonB1er Chieftain

very nice indeed! So, what about the flags?:D

20. sedna17

sedna17 Chieftain

Yes, flags... that needs a little more time. Probably not before next week.