RFC Europe Moscow civ name

I certainly think this does not go to Dynamic Names thread, so I posted it here.

What I wanted to say is that "Moscow" is not essentially a good civ short name, as Moscow is a city, not a country on its own. The actual state was called Muscovy or Moscovia in Western sources, and so should it be named in RFC Europe I think. Just to give a quick understanding, having "Moscow" as a civ name is akin to having "Kiev" instead of "Kievan Rus". Plus the adjective "Moscowan" sounds somewhat lame to me for some reason, I always wanted to change it to something. Yeah.

It sounds like it sounds since "Moscowan" as a word doesn't exist, but it was pretty sure it got changed in Alpha 8? The only form given by dictionaries is Muscovite, though Moscovite seems to be used often,

Ditto on Muscovy of course.

It sounds like it sounds since "Moscowan" as a word doesn't exist, but it was pretty sure it got changed in Alpha 8? The only form given by dictionaries is Muscovite, though Moscovite seems to be used often,

Ditto on Muscovy of course.

I think it was an attempt to replicate the Slavic "v" which is pronounced as a "w" AFAIK.
But, I agree. It should be Muscovy and Muscovites.

I think it was an attempt to replicate the Slavic "v" which is pronounced as a "w" AFAIK.

Kind of, but the other way round ;) In Russian, Moscow is pronounced "Moskva". Same in Polish, it's written "Moskwa", but "w" is pronounced as English "v" like in German. IIRC it's Moscow (and Muscovy) in English because non-Slavs have problems pronouncing triple consonant bits like "skv".

W comes from German name Moskau, which was francized as Moscou and finally in English as Moscow. Same goes with Warsaw (Polish Warszawa, German Warschau).

But, I agree. It should be Muscovy and Muscovites.

I already changed it into Moscovites. So it will be in in the next version.

Top Bottom