1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Europe playtesting feedback thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by st.lucifer, Nov 9, 2008.

1. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Nope, we don't have long names yet.

2. Fanatik

Fanatik Chieftain

What about having whatever leaves on a crusade return with experience or an upgrade. Or perhaps you can gift resources to the crusade (copper, iron, deer, etc., (though i would think more than one to be fair)) and still get faith points.

edit:

3. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Or give some gold and the units' costs will be paid of that gold, so the Crusade leader doesn't loose money on the units. (until the given money is used)

4. Opera

Opera Deity

I just played the mod with Spain and it was a great time :)
    I had the bad idea to found Porto... and thus, when the Portugeses appeared, I had to DoW them to keep Porto. I managed to keep them away and to get a peace treaty. I finally vassalized them and Genoa and Austria. I'm on my way for the first UHV :)

Anyway, very cool. I like the new units, the wonders... I like it all :goodjob:

5. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

The region of the Middle East that is represented on the map is was Orthodox until the Arabs conquered it. It is inaccurate for the Arabs to be Orthodox.

We cannot preset religion, before the Arabian first turn Islam is not founded yet. The closest thing to it is the "Favorite" religion for each civ. We can increase the value of that so nations would be far more likely stick to their "Favorite" religion.

6. Myri

Myri Warlord

100 % favorite islam for Arabia pls :)

Can you change how religion spreads, too? Orthodox Barcelona, Milano, Britain, Germany is a pain :)

bye Myri

7. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

3Miro, if you increase that value it'll reflect on Protestantism appearance, won't it?. And I for one wouldn't like that. I prefer a scenario where France doesn't always stay Catholic and England doesn't always convert to the new faith.

I meant before that in previous versions Arabs where almost always islamic in my games, and now they're almost always orthodox, even after preventing them from taking Antioch in their first turn. So it seems some recent change is responsible.

Edit: and I don't think Orthodoxy should expand out of orthodox civs (for its political implications), or islam out of muslim ones (expansion only through conquest).

8. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Protestantism odds are different from "favorite" religion and the switch to Protestantism is unrelated to the Favorite religion. One goes for the specific leader and the other for the Civilization.

Religions also are less likely to spread beyond their "natural" boundaries. Orthodoxy would spread like wild-file throughout Bulgaria with or without Byzantium and Spain has a very small chance of getting the spread of anything but Catholicism. The problem is that for the indies all religions are the same.

9. Myri

Myri Warlord

Preset religion in indi cities?

bye Myri

10. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

Personally unless I'm playing for UHV I never switch to Islam to avoid the Crusades. You can always spread your missionaries around and use inquisitors.
    What's wrong with a little Orthodoxy in Germany, Spain or Egypt? Until the heresy thing is sorted out, Arianism and Nestorianism might be closer modeled by Orthodoxy than Catholicism.

11. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

If I remember correctly, the two heresies you mention targeted Byzantium in the early Middle Ages mainly. (it's true Visigoths for example were arians in the beginning, but they are not in RFCE)

You can play in any way you want, but in my view, playing Arabs and not converting to Islam to avoid the crusades is in some way an exploit. Same as squatting. :lol:

12. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

If we're talking about exploits, there's always an exploit. (like not sending your troops to the Crusade) That's why Microsoft has to come out with patches every so often and (simplistically) why Godel is right. :lol:

13. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Orthodox Arabia and still going for the UHV? I don't think that is possible (well maybe AP can do it, but it is very hard). First of all your cities automatically have only a small contribution towards the Islamic percent, second you must spread Islam and thus lose stability, third, weak faith means that you are not getting the faith bonuses from Orthodoxy and Islam as you normally would (consider 10 - 20% of unit production and growth, and you will not get the 10+ some gold on civic upkeep discount for your large empire). Even the small benefit of added science and happiness of the two cultures is not enough to offset the above.

14. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Hey guys!
    One of my favourite mods. I hope it keeps developing at this rate :)

Hope I can help with this:
    I'm not sure it is still the same on alpha 6, but I found this in the alpha 4 version (stabilityguide).
    The ParExpansion1 stability points are generated -(NumCities - 8)^2 / 9.
    This means if u have about 50 cities, u got almoust -200 points just on that.
    60 cities means about -300 points, 70 means -427, and so on...
    I understand that this is in there to be really hard to maintain big empires, and I'm sure it was intentional, but this makes it impossible not just real hard (even with imperialsm civic and courthouses and manor houses in all cities).
    I would suggest to make it linear above a certian number of cities (at about 40 or so), because with this ^2 rate there is no use of domination victory.

AbsintheRed

15. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

In RFCE and RFC you are not supposed to have more than 8 - 15 cities. 20 is considered huge (and that is -16 stability). No one is supposed to have 50 cities.

16. JediClemente

JediClemente Prince

I'd like RFCE to allow a bit more cities than RFC. After all, the map has a lot more tiles (less ocean), doesn't it. The +10% research cost penalty could kick later than 10 cities (13?), the same goes for the number of cities stability thingy.

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Yeah I understand that is the main concept, but than there is no use for domination victory. I think what I suggested (or anything similar) would fit in this concept well by keeping this real hard, just not impossible.

Btw if i'm right there are just 7 atlantis acces recources in the game. So if u want to have colonies with a middle or eastern Europen civ (which also shouldn't be impossible in my opinion), u have to conquer many cities/civs to make your way to the Atlantic.

18. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

In RFCE penalties for large empires in terms of both stability and science have been nerfed compared to RFC.

19. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Huhh I'm not alone with that :)
    The huge research penalty is alone enough for this. If someone takes that and neglect his research to able te create a big empire, he should not be always threatened by the stability too. Now the player gets greatly penalized twice for the same reason.
    Just to be clear, i think there must be some penalization in stability too, just not this much.

20. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Still, if the penalty for stability don't get linear after a certain number of cities, it makes no sense for me. For example after 30 cities it could be -4 points for every city in addition to the current rule under 30 cities. It would stay hard enough to maintain empires by this either. The penalty for science is linear from the beginning...

Btw why do you want it to be impossible to have huge empires in RFCE?
    Sure it has to be hard, but was it forbidden in Medivel Europe too? If an empire would have done almoust everything well along his entire history, managed to be get above all if its competitiors in many aspects I dont think it should be impossible to dominate Europe herself. I mean, that was the goal of sooo many medievel rulers, and i think that's the goal for many civfans too!