RFC Europe: Roman Roads and Starting Map

Remove the land bridges. They're islands, they're supposed to be hard to settle.

Hello everybody!
I made some changes on the map, on the Carpathian Basin. I added two other bigger

rivers, and corrected river Tisza. I also changed resources and terrains, and lake

Balaton (so almost everything). You can see it on the picture.
Because it is so many, and not only minor changes, it might be too much, but the

correction of river Tisza should be in it. I added river Drava, which is a great help

for Austria.
For the future: shall I study the resources of Austria or anything else? I can help

if you want me to. (For example there is nothing on the southern parts of Austria.)
Opinions please! :) Thank you!

EDIT:
Hungarian trading according to my history book(why I changed the resources)
-to the west was mainly the following: gold, salt, wine, copper cow, leather for weapons, iron ware, textile
-to the direction of Venice: the same export with silver for Levante goods
-to Poland : wine, copper, gold, silver for textile
-to Byzantium: industry ware and textile for Levante goods and other resources
-to the East: wares and textile for beef on the hoof

I just sent it because it might help

Attachments

• karpatok.JPG
    karpatok.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 151
What do you mean "normal". Also, Portugal is supposed to settle them.

I applaud the new islands. I had a few playtests as Portugal before they were conneced, and this is the boost they needed.

Its not a big deal if they are connected, just like in RFC Japan is one island instead of many.

Also, on ruins, they DO have a game play effect. When building improvements I always improve ruins last for hopes of getting the event where you find ancient discoveries. True its not a big effect, but it is an effect. Admittedly, I don't think events are active in RFCE, yet, but they will be.

In RFC the extra land around the main island (Honshu) were attached because they are very close in real life, too close to use a whole tile of water, if we were working on RFC Asia, with more map tiles dedicated to Japan, I'm sure they'd be separated by water.

I don't like bending the rules of geography to make a part of the game easier. When you play as Portugal or Spain and you're settling the islands, just make sure to either bring an extra ship with a worker or two or leave a ship there to work as a ferry service.

Now that we're on the topic of the Atlantic islands, who here has read the posts in the extending city name maps thread on Terceira?

In RFC the extra land around the main island (Honshu) were attached because they are very close in real life, too close to use a whole tile of water, if we were working on RFC Asia, with more map tiles dedicated to Japan, I'm sure they'd be separated by water.

I don't like bending the rules of geography to make a part of the game easier. When you play as Portugal or Spain and you're settling the islands, just make sure to either bring an extra ship with a worker or two or leave a ship there to work as a ferry service.

Unless you have a road from the resource to the city, you will not get access to the resource. The only exception is if you build a Fort, but the AI doesn't know how to do that and you will not get the extra commerce or whatever is provided for the tile itself.

Basically, without road connection, you have to chose between the resource or the bonus that it provides for the tiles. Either way, you lose and the Islands become next to useless.

Is it possible to make an exception in the code?
or Like.. create a "sea route" or something?
Maybe workboats could establish "sea routes" which would connect resources?

Is it possible to make an exception in the code?
or Like.. create a "sea route" or something?
Maybe workboats could establish "sea routes" which would connect resources?

Nope, roads work very weirdly. The only thing that can be done is to make Plantations and Quarries act as Channels, which is at leas as wrong.

I'd prefer that, either that or the hard way, I the land bridges.

Nope, roads work very weirdly. The only thing that can be done is to make Plantations and Quarries act as Channels, which is at leas as wrong.

I think you're just breaking too much to tweak a very minor issue. The map is abstraction. Some things have to be slightly different to make the game play work in civilization. It is not going to be perfect.

I think you're just breaking too much to tweak a very minor issue. The map is abstraction. Some things have to be slightly different to make the game play work in civilization. It is not going to be perfect.

Good point. Ocean trade routes in RFC work fine already. As you say, the map is an abstraction. Any map is just the representation of reality. Ours is representative enough for gameplay IMO.

I guess I'll just change it right before I start each game.
But: the bridge in the Azores isn't really needed, it used to be that there was a two tile island with salt and sugar, and another one with nothing, with founding Ponta Delgada on the right spot you can have both resources with road access and later build a cottage or something on the other island.

Nevermind the last post, what do you think of this? All the resources are now connectable via roads to cities and they are all in the same quantity as before. And at the same time, the islands look a lot more like their real life counterparts. Check this, then check a map and compare. :D

A few differences:
Madeiras moved two tiles East (not shown)
Last Alpha's version of Azores moved 1 tile East to allow for more islands
Added Azore islands of Terceira, Graciosa, and Pico.
Replaced one of the salt resources in Canaries with bananas
Added 1 fish to new Canary islands
Added 1 fish to new Azores

If it's acceptable I'll put it in the next Roman roads map WB save.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 126
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 118
Why is there ocean next to the Canaries? It looks really bad when an ocean is directly adjacent to land.

Nevermind the last post, what do you think of this? All the resources are now connectable via roads to cities and they are all in the same quantity as before. And at the same time, the islands look a lot more like their real life counterparts. Check this, then check a map and compare. :D

A few differences:

That looks fine to me.

A few differences:

So one needs 5 cities to get 6 resources. Sorry, but who in hi right mind would build that. There shouldn't be more than one city per Island group that is capable of getting all (or almost) the resources.

Hey all,

Just popping in briefly--I have a little breather now that my thesis is turned in while I await my defense.

I've had a look at Alpha 4. Nice work. It's always exciting to see what's changed when you've been away for a while. The new leaderheads and music makes the mod feel a lot more finished.

I like the islands as they are in Alpha 4. Gameplay should trump geography in this case.

It seems like a useful thing for me to contribute right now would be an update of the Reference maps. We have some new territory UHVs and, of course, the background map has changed. I will hold off on doing this if there are major map changes coming in a soon-to-be-released new version -- are there?

Anyhow, keep up the good work...

Hey all,

Just popping in briefly--I have a little breather now that my thesis is turned in while I await my defense.

I've had a look at Alpha 4. Nice work. It's always exciting to see what's changed when you've been away for a while. The new leaderheads and music makes the mod feel a lot more finished.

I like the islands as they are in Alpha 4. Gameplay should trump geography in this case.

It seems like a useful thing for me to contribute right now would be an update of the Reference maps. We have some new territory UHVs and, of course, the background map has changed. I will hold off on doing this if there are major map changes coming in a soon-to-be-released new version -- are there?

Anyhow, keep up the good work...

Hope everything is working out for your thesis.

There will be a new Alpha tomorrow and it will involve new map changes for Hungary and Moscow. The biggest thing in the new version would be the Faith Points. I think we can make the religious dynamic the "grown jewel" (OK jessiecat, "Crown Jewel" :D) of our mod.

I think you mean "Crown Jewel".:D

Top Bottom