1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC One City Challenges(UHV)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Metal Alloy Man, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

Has anybody achieved a UHV with only one city? It's only possible for some civs but some civs like Babylon, Japan(very hard if not impossible), Ethiopia(also very hard if not impossible), Maya and Aztec( very hard if not impossible) come to mind. Anybody tried any games like these. If so, could you post some screenshots please.:)

2. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

Before the new patch (in 1.09) I won a Monarch game with Greece. And in a certain way the Dutch UHV is something like a OCC. Having said that, maybe India can be won in this way (viceroy?). Would be a nice but tough challenge:crazyeye:.

3. Úmarth

Úmarth Megalomaniac

Egypt might be a good one to start with.

4. Norton II

Norton II Emperor

Just did it on Monarch. Per-Wadjet was my one city. Research order: mysticism, masonry, pottery, polytheism, priesthood, writing, fishing, sailing, aesthetics (from Oracle), math, literature, music. Traded for hunting, archery, BW, AH, alphabet, monarchy; lightbulbed currency and metal casting with GMs. Build order: worker, Stonehenge (switch to caste system), Pyramids, Oracle, Great Lighthouse, work boat, Great Library, walls, barracks, archers. Also a trireme and another workboat after the first one got pillaged. Built an axeman at the end, too, but I didn't need him--only one impi came near Per-Wadjet, and he attacked an archer in a forest and lost.

5. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

The Greek UHV is pretty easy with just Athens.

6. Norton II

Norton II Emperor

That it is, as long as you raze Babylon to keep them from beating you to the Oracle. Did that one yesterday, too, and won in 1160.

7. kbk

kbk Prince

I have done it with Greece and Babylon. As the Greeks, I didn't have to raze Babylon, but I did have to reload a few times to make sure I got the Oracle up. As the Babylonians, I declared war on India, but never did anything to them except leave a warrior fortified outside their city.

Some civs would be impossible to do this with (control certain resources or areas, or have a percentage of land), but others are theoretically possible:
    Egypt (as shown above)
    Babylon
    Greece
    India
    Japan
    Ethiopia
    Maya
    Vikings
    Khmer
    Inca
    Aztec

8. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

India is theoretically possible if you kill every other civ in the world down to less than 14 population. :lol:
    Vikings is impossible (remember you have to actually found another city in the New World, unless you have a willing enemy who will capture your capital, but then you'll probably get exiled to Inca or Mali:lol:).

Khmer would be an interesting one, but it's hard to get all those artists in time without philosophy (too little research with just one city to get there in time) or Shwedagon Paya which is in Pagan.

9. Norton II

Norton II Emperor

What about Japan? Keeping foreign culture out of Honshu should be easy if you raze Seoul and the Chinese coastal cities, but is it possible to be first in score with just one city?

As for India, a pop 14 city has about 1.6 million people, so if you could kill everyone who has more than that, you could win. The problem would be getting a pop 14 city since the only health resources in reach are wheat and cows. It might just barely be doable, though.

10. Metal Alloy Man

I wonder if you could do this as America by trading for oil resources and kicking out all the europeans with your starting units, you could build all the wonders in your capital. I'd try this on viceroy first because it just may be impossible on monarch.

11. Metal Alloy Man

Double post

12. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

I severely doubt it would be possible on Monarch. I just finished Japan yesterday (on Emperor difficulty though) and needed a score of around 1000 to be ahead of Arabia (who was second with 990) in 1500AD. Without the extra cities and score that they provide, you would need an immense technology lead that I just don't think is possible on Monarch.

I've never tried Viceroy though, perhaps that might be achieveable.

13. kbk

kbk Prince

I just went through a try on Japan, and was fairly close on monarch. Arabia turned out to not be too strong in my game, and I only lost because of China. They had a 100 point lead, and the mongols just would not attack them.

Japanese strategy:
    Found Tokyo (south of the river, where you can get 2 fishing boats, copper, iron, and 2 silk). This way Tokyo can easily grow to 20+. Now you just need to be really good about trading techs, and building wonders. Around 1300-1500 keep an eye on India, China, and mongolia. Try to destabilize/collapse/eliminate anyone who is ahead of you.

I think I was approaching a score of 800 before China eliminated my landing army, and I decided to give up.

As far as foreign culture, Persia had Seoul for a little while, and later it was Chinese. It never infringed on Honshu, so I think there is a programmed buffer there. Just keep anyone from actually founding a city on Honshu and you'll be fine.

14. kbk

kbk Prince

Okay, just did Japan in Monarch, BTS, latest patch. Here's how it is done:

On your first turn, switch to Monarchy, but not slavery (I never had to slave-rush anything, and having even 2 slave revolts before 1500 AD can result in failing the first goal). Found Tokyo on your second turn (any later, and you don't get workers). Send one workboat around India, the Mid-east, Africa, and to Europe. Use the other one on the fish.

Tokyo should build a workboat, and then a forge, and then start popping out wonders. Moai Statues, The Colossus, and The Great Lighthouse should be built more or less in order, and are probobly absolutely necessary to do this. Next build a library and any other city improvements you can manage. Always prioritize building wonders over improvements or happiness.

Tech-wise:
    Go for sailing to open trade routes with the civs you contact. Then go straight for civil service (Even skipping calender. Those silk can wait). As your fish boat contacts civs, continue to trade. Prioritize getting Alphabet and iron working, but any techs you can get are important. Open borders with everyone you meet, you will want those trade routes. (A good trick for this is to offer 10 gold when you first meet the civ. After you have open borders, you can be as much as a dick as you want, so long as you don't want to trade techs with them later.) After civil service, switch to Bureaucracy, and research paper, philosophy, education, printing press and constitution, and then finally liberalism. You absolutely HAVE to be the first to get liberalism to get the first goal. I also traded to get up to optics, allowing me to choose either astronomy or democracy for my free tech.

Now, you should be around 1450. If you are behind someone, go for astronomy, and build 5-7 galleons. Go make first contact with the Maya, Inca, and Aztecs, but send those troops to raze cities of anyone who is going to be ahead of you point wise. This will be tight, but you should have a few turns to take out one or two cities. It is very likely that your troops will all die off, but at this point who cares, so long as you are ahead in points.

After 1500, its just about waiting around until 1850 to win. I have yet to see Seoul or any other city have culture infringe on Honshu, but if any do, just raze them.

Some other notes:

The following countries are going to be the ones to watch. Avoid trading any techs to them at all, ever, at all costs:
    France
    Greece
    China
    India

A good game will have China collapse to mongols, and greece collapse before modern times. The Greek are annoying because they are far away, and have a massive tech advantage.

Plague:
    This helps you out more than hurts you. You only have one city, and you will lose 5-7 population points from a plague. France will have 4-6 cities, and each will lose 5+ points from plague. In fact, Plague is the main reason I won.

Wonders built before 1500:
    (Obviously, build any wonders you can, but here are the one's I pulled off)
    Moai Statues
    Colossus
    Great Lighthouse
    Wat Ptah
    Temple of Kukulkan
    The Taj Mahal (Very helpful for getting out 2 golden ages before 1500).

Attached you can see the screenshot for 1505 (Where France JUST passed me in score. See how close this is), and two shots showing you the victory at the end.

Attached Files:

15. Norton II

Norton II Emperor

Nice! Any thoughts on India? I still have to play the last few turns for Japan's UHV (regular game, not OCC), but I might work on India after that if I have time.

16. Norton II

Norton II Emperor

I'm trying India now, and things are going pretty well so far. It's 470 AD. I've already founded the 5 religions, and I've just finished researching HBR (already traded for construction). Once I've got about 8-10 war elephants built, I'll send them to China. Also, even with just one size 10 city, I'm still 2nd in population. I'll finish up sometime tomorrow.

17. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

I so nearly got Egypt on Emperor last night. I founded Per-Wadjet and had the first and third conditions sorted, even had a Great Engineer waiting to build the Great Library, but was 4 turns too slow with researching Literature.

I was lucky enough to pop a Great Engineer and Great Artist as my first two great people, but I think I needed still more luck than just this.

Very depressing, but looking back I don't see any point when I could have made a different decision to cut 4 turns of research. I think the only way to have won Egyptian OCC on Emperor would have involved popping a key tech (such as Masonry) from one of the goody huts at the start.

18. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

Good job kbk. You're lucky you didn't have a Persian Seoul. :lol:

Can't have civil war if you're just one city, so who cares about happiness?:lol:

19. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

That was exactly my plan with Emperor OCC (Per-Wadjet) Egypt. I have many times collapsed into civil war when trying to finish the Egyptian UHV on Emperor with two (or sometimes more) cities.

20. kbk

kbk Prince

I had a Persian Seoul on the first of my three attempts. Even then it didn't infringe on Honshu. I think its like Corsica in the Mediterranean; the only way to have foreign culture on Honshu is to have a foreign city on it, which is basically, never going to happen unless you open the back door completely for the Mongols somehow to capture one.

This was one of the more fun challenges, because with only Tokyo you get to be the most technologically advanced civilization for basically the entire game. I'm going to try another one soon, not sure which yet.