[RFC RAND] The peoples of the Persian plain

Thanks, Quboid. Glad you have enjoyed it so far. Hopefully more to come soon.

ilduce, I think you're right that I should not worry about colonising. I have taken a fair chunk of China and for the next century these small, undeveloped, often revolting cities will be a negative factor on my stability. Adding more small colonies, and far from my traditional territory, might cause me to go to shaky > unstable. I think my strategy might be just to steal a few established colonies once I can see coal, oil, etc.

played up to 1730 in ur game, China left the game in 1721 (his cities went independent and I could no longer talk to him on the diplo screen), I managed to make peace with Turkey, and yeah, I ended up quiting because of the battle of Koln, I lost 11 units each with 60 or high percentage, at the end of the battle I had 4 units and Germany had 9, I made the mistake of moving units east to try to take chattaging and Gangzouh and it cost me, I tried making peace with the germans after that, he refused out right, so I decided to enter world builder to see the world, I was really surprised about wat I saw
Spoiler :
The Arabs are the colonial power, hosting a huge empire in south america, they had a massive army near our border, war might come, and the germans have a much larger army then I though they did, it is going to be a difficult years to come, U R hated by ur neighbors because u didn't spread u state religion enough

XIII. The Encircling War, Part II - A World in Turmoil

The last Shah of the Safavid Dynasty
Shah Soltan 1694-1722

The first Shah of the Afsharid Dynasty
Nader Shah 1736-1747

As the focus of the war turned to the west, Persia had become the unquestioned leading power of the world. The previous world power (and still the most technologically sophisticated nation) China had been clearly beaten by the superior training, tactics, and numbers of the Persian army, and had suffered a devastating drop in prestige (Mongolia renounced its vassal status in 1712). A census carried out in 1715 found that over twenty million people (from The Zagros Mountains in the west to the port of Hangzhou in the east) were subjects of the Shah. Further, diplomatic advances were being made in the west, with Spain agreeing to mutual right-of-passage in 1712, and Portugal in 1733.

The empire in 1718
Spoiler :

The forced that were gathered at the south-western border near the German city of Köln were still meagre, and reinforcements from the Chinese war would take several years to be redeployed, so at first, the battle at this front was marked with disappointment - the 8th Infantry was lost in 1712 and the Abbas Horsemen and Lorestan Horsemen defeated in 1718. The defense of Moskva was also, once again, requiring the permanent stationing of several regiments in that city.

The Western Army outside Köln in 1715

The Russian Defense Force in Moskva in 1718

Relations and cultural exchanges were also being deepened with the distant Christian territories ruled by the Viking Council. By the 1720s, the political ideology of democracy was being advocated in Persian universities, and the Scandanavian countries were mimicking Persian military traditions and the idea of the corporation.

Political and cultural exchange between Scandanavia and Persia in the 1720s
Spoiler :

In 1722, at the death of Shah Soltan, and his sons and stepsons fighting for the throne, the heriditary right of his family to the throne was put into question by two military factions - the traditional Qizilbash and a new upstart clan from the northern regions championing Hotaki as their leader. In 1724, the Qizilbash, to secure public support for their choice, pressured the Western Army to press urgently on to Köln and to take the city within the year. The commanders of the Western Army, feeling that they still had not been given adequte numbers, called up local troops from Ectabana and the mountain regions to augment their force, and began their assault on the German city. Some of these local units, in particular the Pashtun Woodsmen, showed outstanding valour and success in the battles, but the battles wore on far beyond that year, and although German forces in the region were being depleted, victory was elusive.

The Victories of the Pashtun Woodsmen at Köln

Meanwhile, through the diplomatic maneuverings of nations hostile to the Persians (notably China, Mongolia, and Japan), at a Congress held in Oslo in 1727, a motion to have Xi'an returned to the Chinese was passed by a slim majority. Due to the power vacuum in Parsa there was no official response to this bold resolution, but it was clear that the Persian military (the real power during those years) was of any mind to make such a concession. Hence, China and Mongolia together declared war on Persia, only 18 years after their humiliating defeat. China, however, having failed to prevent the independence of even the minor city of Chittagong just three years before, was not considered a serious military threat.

The independence of Chittagong

The Congress of Oslo (1727)

The war in the hills above Köln was finally turned around beginning in 1727, when a young commander named Nader took the Khorasan Horsemen (renamed afterwards the Nader Shah Horsemen) to a dazzling series of victories, and also lifted the morale of the weary Western Army, so as to finally conquer the city by 1730.

The conquest of Köln (1730)

Immediately, The German Holy Islamic Emperor sent a delegation to Nader's camp to promise the capitulation of the entire German nation in return for peace. Nader, without consulting anyone in Parsa, accepted, and also forced the German's into a number of trade deals that favoured Persia.

The peace treaty with Germany
Spoiler :

Nader returned triumphantly to Parsa, with the news going out that the Germans had become his vassals. Even though he was not yet a formally recognised leader, it was agrred by all that it would be foolish to deny that he was the only one who could possibly occupy the throne. Thus, he was acclaimed the next Shah by the Qizilbash faction, who had regained their supreme influence due to Nader's victory and due to the public remembering, through China's war declaration, the Qizilbash's role in Persia's ascendance in decades gone by.

Nader Shah's Revolution

Nader Shah had a surprise in store for his backers, however. He immediately launched reforms against many of the vested interests in Parsa and around the empire, including those privileges and offices of influence held by the Qizilbash. His reforms were drastic, and while he had many supporters, faction was set against faction for a chaotic period of six years. First, in place of hereditary rights, he instituted a representative body of local leaders who would elect their shah (although only Nader was on the first ballot). Second, he abolished slavery of the lower classes and prisoners of war. Third, he enacted a series of laws that broke up the monopolies and the powerful Armuzan merchants' guilds, and replaced them with regulations which guarded free competition in the marketplace. Finally, and the most explosive, he disposed Christianity from its place as the empire's official region, a role it had had for 760 years, decreeing that all of Persia's diverse religions had equal standing in the law.

One consequence of Nader Shah's treaty with the Germans had been overlooked in the euphoria of his return to Parsa. In taking Germany as a vassal, Persia was now locked into conflict with two major powers - the old enemy Arabia, and Japan - and with their vassals - Azteca, Carthage, and Egypt. In addition to the ongoing war with Turkey, new hostilities with China and Mongolia, and a state of anarchy in the empire itself, Nader Shah (who at least had the loyalty of the army) would have to act wisely to protect his sprawling and tumultous empire.

As Nader Shah met with his advisors on 1 Farvardin 1731 AD, the first report was from his Health Minister: the Scandanavian plague had become an epidemic in Luoyang.

Persia's wars in 1730

Hey Danger Bird, how do you copy and paste like that? Do you use Paint?
I know how to take screen shots, but can't seem to figure out how to copy and paste stuff to where I want it to go like you do.

EDIT: Oh and great update too!

i would suggest defending against arabia, if u look at the demographics they are the only empire with more power then you have (power means army size), mass troops, and after defending from arabias SoD, go on the offensive against china to force peace with china and Mongolia, then try to get peace with the Japanese, and have a battle between the powers, it should be an interesting read

make peace with turkey, also now is a good time to read the spoiler, the Arabs army is almost 3 times the size of yours, good luck

Ok, looked at your spoiler. I had seen signs of the Arabs' colonial empire earlier with my exploring caravels. And yes, the Arabs might have a lot of units, but the only ones I've seen cross into my territory so far have been camel archers. If I just make sure I have cuirassiers and pikemen in the south I should be ok. Then of course there could be a wave of SoDs. Should be interesting times.

In a way, I'd been hoping that Arabia would declare war on me. I am happier to be fighting them than the Germans, as they are the main rival now.

Dude, calm down. Just because Danger Bird hasn't posted in a few days doesn't mean it's over. The Princes of the Universe story (good read!) had months in between posts. In fact I and bunches of other people are still waiting for it. So cut down on the spam, and let him post when he wants to.

@ ilduce: Don't worry about me disbanding. This is actually the best game of civ I've played in a long time. Just been busy this week. Update will come in a couple of days.

@DrumStudent: the programme I use for editing screenshots is Paint.NET. Better than Paint (and also free) because it has layers, so moving things around is a lot easier.

@DrumStudent: the programme I use for editing screenshots is Paint.NET. Better than Paint (and also free) because it has layers, so moving things around is a lot easier.

Thanks mate. I'll look into it.

... the programme I use for editing screenshots is Paint.NET. Better than Paint...

Thanks for the recommendation of Paint.net. I've been using it to pretty up the maps for my current story. The step up in quality of visuals after chapter 22 or will make me feel better about posting. I'm still struggling with the tutorial on how to use the layers, but I have figured out how to make semi transparent text for the maps.

Didn't get any chance to actually to actually play in the last week, I'm having too much funangst just playing with the paint.net and writing the story (fortunately I'm centuries ahead already).

Your storytelling remains as captivating as ever. The new political order that Nadar Shah's instituted--he seems to be something of a George Washington type--is gonna make it boogers-tough for you to keep fighting these two and three front wars. The decapitation strike on Beijing was pretty effective at bringing about a quick (if temporary) peace. I wonder if the same against Kyoto isn't needed since you're clearly going to end up competing with them over colonies on Borneo.

When you get a chance, I'd like to see another worldmap screenshot.

Far and away, the best story I've ever read on here. The amount of effort put into it is ridiculous, and it really is a story, not just a play-through. GREAT job! :goodjob:

Also, isn't RAND fun? I just played a game as India with the best starting location I've ever seen. Ended up an era ahead of everyone else with twice as many points, founding Islam 100 years "before Christ" and easily winning the UHV! The only problem is the ridiculous amount of barbarians, though they help with the collapse of ancient civilizations.

I also echo that this is a great read. I will check back soon for the next update! Don't let Civ IV get in the way of real life, though!

That's a really good story, I had a great time reading it all and can't wait for the next update, keep up the good work and don't let your empire collapse!

Top Bottom