[RFC] The British conquer the world! (emperor level)

Victoria laughed at the idea of the Celts conquering the world. "Yes, Brennus, you did conquer the world, but only because the British Isles were so unbelievably large and full of fish and stone. (and the modmod had a bug where civs won't found cities) I'm going to one-up you and conquer the world without any gimmicks like Statues of Zeus and I'll even do it as an empress!"

So where to get land since England is rather small in the "real world" (in fact it's already much larger proportionally in the Rhye map)? Answer: the Baltics, Kiev and Hungary, without which both Russia and Germany will be nerfed significantly hammer-wise. And thankfully we start with 4 settlers, so 3 of them can go squat while our capital concentrates on trade and science.

So she founds Southampton (so that Newcastle can also be founded), sends 3 settlers to go squat in Poland and Hungary, and exchanges gifts with the French for an early peace treaty. Civics are the usual for medieval Britain.

Unfortunately we pop 2 angry warriors close to our ancetral Frisia...

Scotland comes under our control (without a DOW by the Vikings unfortunately) and we meet the Germans. We give them 10 gold so we can OB with them and beat them to Hungary...

Southampton whips a monument to overcome Brest's culture quicker. Then it starts a...courthouse?? :confused: (Talk amongst yourselves)

Cambridge (Kiev) and Hastings (?Vilnius) are founded...a little late just to make sure they don't automatically flip to the Russians. Our 3rd settler has finally arrived at Budapest. Germany of course will found a city close to Hastings and we need to whip monuments ASAP. Southampton's culture expand, and the workboat's that's been patiently waiting catches some fish. Since we can't work all the land tiles at once, we send 2 workers over to Eastern Europe to get things moving quicker, and a galley chain gets them halfway across.
Really need to meet the Mali and found Newcastle/Galway soon. Then we'll have 7 good cities to work with. Still no Christianity...:(

A butterfly flipped its wings in Sana'a...and Islam spread to us. This is actually a good thing, since we need every bit of science we can for emperor mode, and an additional 10% from a monastery is good. I switch from a library to an Islamic monastery.
We meet the Spanish who are wary and won't OB. No hurry, eventually when we get the Cross and switch, and trade some wine from them, they'll open up.
[sure enough, the next turn, Christianity spreads to Hungary and Scotland, and we switch]

And the answer to the courthouse madness is...the Dutch. We OB with them and are able to whip the courthouse. The first great person we have must be a great spy.
We meet the Russians but refuse to trade gifts/OB with them, so that they are kept backwards. (plus money is in short order right now) The next move we pay an exorbitant 40g to get the Spaniards to OB with us and get 10g back for a peace treaty. It'll be worth it if we get Divine Right from the Mali.

An unfortunate constellation of events: The Dutch get Judaism from nowhere (probably Jerusalem is the only place on Earth that has it right now), and the Germans found Lemberg right on the SW corner of Kiev, and they get a -2 relation with us from borders. I hastily whip the library in Hastings to expand my culture. We need a lot more troops to deter German and Russian aggression...

As expected, the Vikings declare war on us for no reason (I've never figured out why Rhye wants this to happen, since the Viking raids are long over by this time) Then at the same move the AP vote is for peace against the Vikings, with which we heartily agree. :)

We meet Mali who doesn't want to trade DR yet, but it's only because it's their first move.

Dublin (an indy city) spawns in Ireland, so I build a warrior to go conquer it and stop the settler in our capital. Newcastle unfortunately gets Islam so Scotland builds a Christian missionary.
The next turn, the Africans drives a hard bargain for DR and unfortunately we have to agree:

A British Empire covering half of eastern Europe and ruled from Southampton? These conquest games really are bizarre.

Dublin is captured. Not my favorite city, mind you, because of its closeness with Newcastle and Southampton, but it saves us from building another settler.
The Germans are approaching Budapest menacingly...

The Dutch are kinda hostile, but since we are at war with the Vikings and they are too, and everybody hates them, I ignore their demands. 10 turns to the great spy, so I start a spy in Newcastle.

Well, the AI had assigned an engineer and our luck would have it that 90% spy points were no match for the Great Engineer! :( So we use him for the Leaning Tower and hopefully some of the points will get us towards the Spiral Minaret quicker.
The Dutch builds Notre Dame--absolutely useless for a 1-city civ.

Luckily we get the 7 Forge quest:

59: Germany declares war on Netherlands. Hm...I'm kinda glad I didn't have a great spy invested in Amsterdam.
60: Calendar is stolen from the Dutch:
1210: Disaster! the Spiral Minaret is built in a faraway land and so is the Sistine Chapel. (should have used the GE for the SM instead of the Tower of London) We make peace with the Vikings by giving them 10g (Danegeld), and they're pleased with us and OB.
1240: Both Arabia and Russia declare war on us. A stack of 6 units approach Kiev. We whip walls and send some longbows there
1250: Another GE is born in Southampton, so we save him for the Univ of Sankore (paper due in 1 turn)
1260: Spain declares war on France.
1270: Univ of Sankore built in our capital
1280: We meet the Turks but they fail to capture Constantinople.
1290: Peter fails to capture Kiev but kills 3 of our units. No matter, we whip another longbow and he won't have any chance...

1310: AP election (of course we vote for ourselves). Peter still won't make peace:
1320: Damnit, Izzy wins the election.
1330: Bordeaux is captured by Spain. Turkey converts to Islam but must be at war with Arabia since he offers this and we agree:

1340:GS born in Inverness, we half-bulb Education. We're solid for the first time in the game! :D
1350: We complete the Master Blacksmith quest and settle him in Southampton. Peter approaches with yet another stack:

1360: I sell our world map and exchange for engineering from the Dutch.
1370:peter kills most of our longbows in Kiev.
1380: Wat Preah Pisnulok is built somewhere else...hm, somebody already has Philosophy, so our next research has to be it so we can get liberalism first.
1390:I finally give in and make peace with Peter with fishing, meditation, aesthetics, our world map and some gold. :cry:
On the other hand, our great spy is finally born and I send him to Amsterdam.
1400: We steal guilds from the Dutch. (They also have Civil Service so that will be good too)

1415: Education in, Optics next (then philosophy/liberalism-->Astronomy)
1440: We steal Civil Service from the Dutch, who are very obligingly researching Philosophy, so we'll just steal it from them when they are done.:D
1445: Russia converts to Judaism and our peace treaty expires...sigh, more war coming.
1455: Optics in, banking next (Dutch will finish philosophy in 8 turns). Plague starts in Lisboa, so I start some buildings so we can whip them next turn. I also whip our first caravel in Inverness.

I discover that our kindness to the Malians has not been forgotten:

And as soon as they vassalized, we demanded their gems, cotton, elephants and gold for more happiness. :D This puts us back into contact with the Arabians who are now willing to make peace for some tribute to us:

1460: Plague spreads to our capital, and I whip a lighthouse there for more health. Another GS born, founds the Royal Academy of Science.
1470: Russia again declares war on us with the same old units. Now that we have castles, elephants and knights he won't stand a chance.

1475: We meet the Aztecs and promptly capture their capital, leading to the birth of our first general (who we made an admiral to command a galley, soon to be transformed into a galleon for free):

1490: Unfortunately, we meet the dreaded Incan workboat near Trinidad and don't get any conquistadors in South America. So we play nice and give them Iron Working, hoping that in the future they might vassalize to us:

1495: We steal Philosophy from the Dutch, and switch research to Liberalism. We kill Gustavus Adolphus who had miraculously arrived in the New World and taken up the cause of the Aztecs:

1500: the Battle of Kiev is about to start, we just need one more catapult:

We capture Tultan and the Aztecs capitulate (will probably collapse, which is fine, since we want the Americans as vassals rather than Aztecs). We can't afford to liberate cities yet (since we have only 9 cities).

1505: AP vote comes up for making peace with us and we vote yes (even though the Russians are now willing to pay). We kill some more units first before making peace.
And sure enough since we're at peace, the Incans are wowed by our strength and voluntarily vassalize, and I give them Feudalism, metal casting, aesthetics and direct them to research Drama (just like their Malian compadres) for me to trade.

Portugal and the Netherlands are also willing to vassalize, but we want either Khmer or Mongolia/China in the future, so we decline. We trade for Music from the French with Banking and Paper (only reason being that we have a spy in Norway and the Vikings are about to finish Military Tradition).
1510: Germany makes peace with the Dutch but declare war on France, while Arabia declares war on Spain who ask us for help and we decline. Kiev starts the Forbidden Palace.
1520: We meet the Chinese. Arabia is willing to trade a Marble for Deer (which is great because this will greatly speed up the Taj Mahal)
1525: We meet the Khmer who are willing to vassalize at once! :D We demand some resources from them but gift them some sheep and cows.

1530: We sign a defensive pact with the Vikings (against any imminent Russian aggression, which is a little less already due to them getting Christianity).
1535: We circumnavigate and sell maps for 500g, allowing us to get Liberalism in 2 moves! As good as any turn to stop for tonight. Would somebody venture to guess where my next military target is?

Great game so far, you should rename the series " [BTS] [RFC] & [CAFFINE]The British conquer the world! (emperor level) "

The way you post makes it seem the Game Info screen would show total play time as 12 minutes or something o_O

Great story I love it,it seems even better then the celt one.Ithink your next target is roma/rome.

Your next target is obviously Japan...

Just kidding, I'd vote for Germany.

I love your series... and I'd like, when this game is done, to see a conquest game with the Dutch.

That is... if you think that's possible.

I like that your screenshots fit without spoilers once again. :goodjob:

I totally approve of Southampton :king: but very unimpressed with Dublin. Ireland is only good as a city when you have the whip and you have founded such that the 3 seafood resources are within reach. Your city is just awful. I would have razed it rather than capture it.

Why did you found Budapest 1S?

Top Bottom