RFC "Training" SG?

Quotey

Emperor
I've been toying around a little with RFC but I've never been able to get into it, feeling quite out of my depth instead. So perhaps a succesion game would help me and some others learn RFC?

In my limited RFC knowledge I would think that a civ with a large spawn area might help so we don't have a lot of stability troubles, but one that also could have a city flip... Rome, Spain, Vikings? France?

Anywy, the ideal situation would be a roster of 5-7 people, with at least 2 being good at RFC and knowing mechanics. From my limited surfing of this forum, AnotherPacifist and blzzrd seem to be pretty good and vocal so they're on the hitlist :p

Anyone interested?

might be intesested...but i'm niether a newbie or an expert...got the room?

Rome is a good choice but you end at 1400 which is a little too soon. Best choice is Russia or Japan (you can play as long as you want till modern times). I'll be happy to play.

I'd like to, but that depends on the time of starting.

So a potential roster would be:

AnotherPacifist
Quotey
blizzrd
Thadian?
Mowque?
Panopticon?
Lone Wolf?

AnotherPacifist- Fantastic! I'll do some research on Japan/Russia and post again in this thread.

Lone Wolf- I'd rather start it soon. Once that roster is finalised, and civ choice is made. So maybe in 5 days or less. When would be convenient for you?

Thadian, Mowque- Would love to have you, unless more real RFC noobs show up.

Panopticon- Is that an expression of interest? If so, same thing as Thadian and Mowque applies.

I'm far too busy at work to do a succession game, I'm afraid - unless I wanted to be fired for staying at home to play one more turn of RFC :lol:

After looking at starts and powers I think I'd like Russia better. Japan has very little land and contact, and I assume that means less problems. This is a learning game foremost (I hope) and I think Japan wouldn't be great for learning mechanics.

Is it possible to get the conquerors event as Russia, and on Monarch? I was thinking getting colonies in N/S. America could be a good thing.

I've never seen it. It reminds me a little of Bismarck's saying - something like "We do not need colonies in Africa, our colonies are Poland and Bohemia"!

If you're looking for a colonial game with war, France or Spain would be the candidates.

I would advise Turkey,

because it is easy to start with, and because it shows most of the potential of RFC. Russia or Japan are turtling games that don't show much...

Another interesting civ to play a SG with is Arabia.

It would be really hard (but not impossible) to beat the western Europeans or even the Arabians and Japanese to America. I tried it once building both Abo and St. Petersburg, and aimed for (guilds/compass/optics), but the French got there just before me. We can try again...

Turtling is good to start with...depends on how pacificist people want to be. :)

Arabia is really good (no time limit, vast empire, different styles to play with). I'm sure we'll all have a good argument when to switch to free religion. Anybody care to resurrect the SG with Arabia?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=277049

of course I do. Btw I never managed to finish Arabia, always failed on the last condition >_<

I like Arabia UHV a lot because it has that perfect right mix of deadlines (conquer all the way to Spain and get 3 holy shrines -although this very easy in the 600 AD), wars, colonization and diplomacy.

btw, i organized a RFC Mali SG way back, Rhye himself played some...but it fell apart.....But i think Turkey is a good civ. I just played a game, so it is fresh in my mind. You see lots of action, warring, diplomacy, the UHV is easy, and a good solid UU...

After looking at starts and powers I think I'd like Russia better. Japan has very little land and contact, and I assume that means less problems. This is a learning game foremost (I hope) and I think Japan wouldn't be great for learning mechanics.

Is it possible to get the conquerors event as Russia, and on Monarch? I was thinking getting colonies in N/S. America could be a good thing.

Japan is very easy, and fine for a learning game. But if you prefer Russia that won't be a problem. So are we set on Russia?

Yes, Russia can theoretically get the conqueror events but often has a hard time getting into a tech lead so early in the game, due to mostly having production resources rather than commerce resources.

But if you are particularly keen to see a easy colonial game, I would recommend Netherlands or France or Portugal rather than Russia.

I'm not SET on any civ, was just throwing out some ideas. But if Japan is a turtle game, then I'm not so sure. I think Arabia would be decent, even if we didn't go for the UHV, and went to space or something.

Persia is real fun as well, you can either wage war like crazy(conquer Babylon, Arabia, India, Turkey) or just defend after taking Babylon and make friends with Middle Eastern nations and India.

Rolled a dice and ended up with Turkey. Which start is better, 600AD or 3000BC? I know that there'll be a million Byzantine cities that flip in the 600AD start, and I think we flip some Persian or Babylonian cities if they somehow survive... and Jerusalem? What are the pros/cons of each start?

Top Bottom