RFC with a New Map?

Does anybody want to help me put RFC on a different map? Specifically, it's a larger map of Earth that I would just like to get working with the basic functions of RFC; spawns, flips, etc. I'm considering attempting what you could say is a new modmod for RFC, but first I'm curious as to what this would entail.

I'm well aware of the massive projects to put RFC on maps three times as big, add dozens of new civs, resources, etc. that have either failed or are probably a few years from being completed. I'm toying with the idea of doing this RFC expansion but on a much, much smaller scale.

My goal is to have an RFC that stays as true to the original while running on a map something like Ghengis_Kai's Giant Earth Map (90x210), give or take a few tiles. No additional civs, resources, or scripted events, etc. yet, I'd want to keep this as simple as possible.

Anybody interested?

From my understanding it would be hard since there is a lot of coded and scripted events you would have to redo from scratch on a new map, since the action takes place on different tiles, as well as stability, city flipping, AI behaviour etc... Good luck but it sounds like a lot of work!

Im dont know much about modding, so i cant really help with this, but i´d help you with testing.

The idea of RFC@GEM is already echoing around the forum long time ago... IIRC the problem it was halted because with RFC Mechanic and map sized that big, it'll cause lot of lag and troubles; especially for the old computers.

personally, i would like a map that is somewhat downscaled and made a little bit smaller.

Im surprised by all the RFC varieties that have come up - im happy and impressed with them.

A smaller world with SLIGHTLY less civ's at a time would be good for turn-lag - i would like a means of having the bottom player collapse if it falls into a certain "hopeless range" - like FFH Final Five rules or something. This way the game can make room for next-spawning civ's.

I'm not a big modder myself, I'm certainly not one to go and release a playable version for you all, unfortunately. I'd only like to generate a little interest in this idea for those who have computers that can handle this sort of thing (such as myself). It's sad that there hasn't been a single successful attempt to put RFC on a bigger map. I think that even though the mechanics on such a map would be demanding, G.E.M. is small enough that it's still realistic.

The idea of RFC@GEM is already echoing around the forum long time ago... IIRC the problem it was halted because with RFC Mechanic and map sized that big, it'll cause lot of lag and troubles; especially for the old computers.
Computers are a lot more powerful now

I doubt that computers were ever the problem. It's more that the resolve of everyone involved with it faded away when they realized what's actually required of them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to imply experienced modders are better than others.

Actually I want to say the exact opposite. It's less modding "skill" that's required to accomplish things and more the simple continued investment of time. I'm talking about this because threads like this crop up every once in a while and people like me take the time to explain in detail what's necessary only to never hear about it ever again.

/grumpy mode off

Don't get me wrong either, I know well how time-consuming modding is, that's why I abandoned it myself (and you never heard from me about it). I wanted to point out that you as a person with experience obviously know the catch, but I overdid with the snarkiness as usual.

Top Bottom