1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

RFCE: Civilopedia Texts

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by merijn_v1, Aug 25, 2009.

1. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

The translations look great!
    Awesome work on them :)

I merged them in with the recent changes, and uploaded to the SVN
    Here are the latest text files:

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Btw, some french or italian translations would be great
    Anyone can improve those text files, just post your changes back in this thread

3. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

@Spirictum
    Do you plan to continue your portuguese translations?

4. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

Yes, and I'll resume them now. I was busy since the last update, but now I'll have plenty of free time up to Xmas.

EDIT: BTW, how are we supposed to translate the BtS original texts still in use on RFCE? I just tried to see my portuguese translation and then all the texts in the menu vanished. It's going to be hard with most of the texts missing (why aren't they in the original english, as we didn't change them? What a mess to work with missing texts. Firaxis should have been cleverer on this subject)

EDIT2: I tried to change the language inside an already running game. It went well, except for the whole tech tree was still in english (nice to see the tech tree keeps to the original if I didn't change the name of the techs, but the rest of the game just goes missing texts). But after I tried to go back to english the option of Portuguese vanished from the list.

5. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Don't you have a fan-made portuguese translation of BtS?
    I'm sure it already exists somewhere, it's not a that big work
    (we had one in hungarian a couple months after CivIV came out)
    If you find that and install it first, the translations will be totally complete after you finish the lines for RFCE

Anyway, as you said you can still switch to portuguese even if you don't have the general translation
    A couple lines which wasn't altered in RFCE will be missing, but we can always add the most important ones to the mod
    So, when do you plan to continue your translations?

6. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

I tried to find a translation and the only thing I found was a german civfanatic complaining that he couldn't find CIV in portuguese, because he would like to practice his portuguese.

I'm willing to translate the parts of original BtS that we use in RFCE. I really want to see RFCE with all texts working in Portuguese, maybe get the attention of other portuguese-speakers like me to play this mod (I think once this was a big community, but it seems CiV got all that left, and our numbers keep diminishing).

There is a topic about the translation to portuguese in CivBrasil, but it seems they left it to play CiV (what a mistake! I think that's why the community is dying).

About the translations, if I'm correct I think I already finished all the non-civilopedia (and non-diplotext) translations: mechanics, techs, units, messages, civs. My intention is to finish all useful info and after this is done start to translate the civilopedia (what will take a lot more time, and is not exactly a need to play)

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Oh, so no existing portuguese translation of BtS
    But if there is a half-finished version in CivBrazil, you can always finish it :)
    That would be the ultimate thing if you want to boost the portuguese community of Civ IV

Yeah, many things are already there
    Altough there are always a couple new xml entries when the mod is in active development
    Just post here whenever you have something new, and Merijn or I will merge it into the XML files

Btw, do you use SVN version?
    If not, I will upload the latest XML text folder here

8. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

They didn't give any files for the community, they just called for the translation and stopped it some years after without any feedback (not something new here where I live, it's just talk, talk and more talk, lots of people wanting to sign for the work and in the end they say there wasn't enough people to help it).

I'll do from scratch, if my fellas are lazy that's their problem. I hated the reviews of CiV, and as things are going I'm not sure if a possible CiVI will bring back the good ol' game, so I'm sticking to CIV and these awesome mods that keep being made.

Here is a file I already modified after you gave me the last updated text file. I don't use the SVN version (just because I'm lazy to think on how to do it), so I hope these new translations don't need to be remade. If they do, no problem.

Attached Files:

• Text.zip
      File size:
      951.3 KB
      Views:
  9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Sounds great! Good luck with it :)
    I'm sure if you really start it, there will be some helpful Brazilians/Portugals who will help you

It's not that hard ;)
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=485431
    You just gave me the final motivation to make that thread :)

Will check and merge in your text files after I'm back from my football game

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Alright, merged in all your translations
    It's up on the SVN, grab the latest XML files from there :)

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Spirictum, did you update to the SVN version?
    Or should I post the latest XML files here?

12. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

Actually I failed to update, my pc doesn't want to open my Beyond the Sword/Mods/RFCEurope to the SVN. Under My Documents it just doesn't work to load the mod.

So until I solve this, I can't use SVN.

Please upload it here, I'll check what is missing ASAP (excluding civilopedia stuff) and then I should start to work on the original BtS translations, but I would need some help as to how to do it. If possible I want to prioritize what original BtS text RFCE uses, so RFCE can be completed before the whole original BtS

13. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

No prob, attached the file

PS: About SVN, try to move your completed checkout folder from My Documents to the correct place

Attached Files:

14. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

I'll try it, but now I must leave so when I come back I'll give feedback about it.

15. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

It worked! Finally!

PCs are definetly a big mystery.

Now that I may update files through the svn update, how am I supposed to make the changes? My guess is to change what I can in a backup file and then post it here to you, am I right? After posting I get an updated text file through SVN update and keep translating right? If not give me some light please

16. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Great!
    Yeah, just post your changed xml files here if you are ready with a couple translations, and I will merge them into the SVN. :goodjob:

PS: 5000th post ;)

17. Chep

Chep Chieftain

Okay, so:
    in the Dawn of Man - File:

it should be:
    (I only changed 1060 which was wrong to the same date as the other languages: 1016)

then in the concepts-file,

I'd suggest adding this rough translation as the German Colony-Description (I'm a native German with a C2-Level of English, when I say "rough" I mean it could be polished a little here and there, but it should be quite well already, I tried to rephrase where the literal translation would seem weird or missleading):
    in general I think it would be great if the areas, where there is no translation yet, use the English version, since most people will probably grasp that version (be it by using google translate) and an empty page really doesn't help anybody :D

18. Chep

Chep Chieftain

again an error with the civ-goals:

that should be "2 orthodoxe Kathedralen" in the German version.

19. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Thanks for the text updates!
    AFAIK Merijn already uploaded them, but I will double check with my next commit

20. rmontaruli

rmontaruli Chieftain

Hi guys.
    I discovered this great mod just two days ago. :king:

I'd like to help to translate it into Italian.
    Are there any people involved in Italian translation?
    Please PM me and let me know.