RFCE: Emperor challenge & playtest

I guess the code checks if there's any city above Cordoba's size.

I was going to suggest giving vaulted arches to Cordoba so that one can get a free tech,

I researched vaulted and got civil services for free -> superior tech and fast wonder production in capital.

Again, what do you mean when Spain and Portugal were nice? I was Catholic, gave them techs and maps, and they still declared war on me. Can you show me your political screen?

I was Islam, gave them nothing, furious all the time, perfect, they won't attack as long you dont offer a free worker or city. Friendly, be prepared for an attack.

I don't keep old games and don't even know how to get a screenshot :)

bye Myri

I think the Scottish barbs need to be nerfed. The English lost ALL of the cities and in the end, got Calais as their capital, and collapsed when they declared war on me. This, coupled with Spain and Portugal vassalizing to me, means that nobody except me can build colonial projects. Also had Genoa (very helpful initially for stealing techs), Norse, Austria and Moscow as vassals. Without even trying I had 17% of land.

Spoiler :

I think the Scottish barbs need to be nerfed. The English lost ALL of the cities and in the end, got Calais as their capital, and collapsed when they declared war on me. This, coupled with Spain and Portugal vassalizing to me, means that nobody except me can build colonial projects. Also had Genoa (very helpful initially for stealing techs), Norse, Austria and Moscow as vassals. Without even trying I had 17% of land.

Spoiler :

You're right about the Scottish barbs. Try playing England even on Monarch. You've got a constant stream of barbs for 500 years, spawning every 3 or 4 turns. Even if you take Edinburgh early, as you should, you waste so much resources building defensive units that your research has to be neglected. And with England's UHVs you have to keep up in the tech race to have any chance. I don't say get rid of them, just make the spawn of Highlanders much less frequent.

I'm happy to say that I agree with Fanatik: Kievan Rus was a piece a cake. As long as you have a constant source of horse and iron (hence I founded on those resources) you can build lots of druzhina and plenty of time for that. My tech path was literature (both for the GA to bomb in the east to ****** the movement of keshiks and for the Heroic Epic), then aristocracy (guisarmes as failsafe in case my druzhina are wounded).

First order of business: need more workers and settlers, since there's not enough happiness. Thankfully there's a dye around, and Hungary is so freaking stupid that I captured all 3 of their workers with 2 horse archers, and they could do nothing about it. :lol:

I've only lost 3 doubly promoted druzhina when attacking keshiks, none for triply promoted. They are my new favorite unit. By the mid 1250's it was clear I've built way too much druzhina, and I started finishing up the monasteries and cathedrals. (the pic is taken from right before I win) Even struck back at Astrakhan after the Mongols are gone.

The city closest to the Bulgarians was very productive (2 grains, 2 cows and 1 horse, lots of river, and I discovered gold there too). It was a launching point for stealing techs (I still have about 3000 points unused right before I won), and they were very friendly. The Byzantines gave me 2 free techs too! :lol:

Spoiler :

In Alpha 5 the Pope's gift is very useful, especially for early civs.

And in this game my skirmisher miraculously found out that Constantinople was empty. So on turn 60, I DoWed. On turn 61, my sole skirmisher captured Constantinople. Byzantium collapsed next turn.

Bulgaria was so dumb that they maintained peace with me. And independent cities, they sent an axeman near Constantinople before I could build my defense. Strangely, I found out that if my unit leave the city, indy won't attack; if my unit stay in city, they attack.

So I controlled Constantinople for the rest of the game, the Hagia Sophia's 20 gold was very helpful, I built nearly every wonders, except Kalmar Castle and Garden of al-Andalus (Cordoba, my vassal).

My first GP was a great merchant from Constantinople, sent to Bulgaria city to get 900 gold, then bought engineering and vaulted arches and astrolabe from Rome. Paris built the Round Church 7 turns later. Researched map making, Marseilles built Uppsala.

Also, conquered Barcelona and Pamplona. Spied on Spain. Founded Knight Templar and Hanseastic League. With this huge advantage I managed to research astronomy in mid 14th century. Finished 6 projects on about turn 295. Easily won.

Venice did nice in this game, they founded Teutonic Knights and conquered Jerusalem without the crusade. (Arabia collapsed early).

You may download the savefile to enjoy the empty Constantinople.

Thanks for the input. Constantinople was not left undefended, it is just that its defenders probably dies in the early plague. In Alpha 5, the plague always hits Byzantium and if others have not had contact with the Byzantines, they usually don't get the plague.

I don't know what the deal with the Indy axeman was.

The plague of Justinian has got to be nerfed--I tried a 2nd game with Byzantines as emperor and it killed my precious workers! And it's allowed youtien to play opportunism to the max! :lol:

Bulgaria.

Rushed to the west to get as much as possible until i need my troops at the border to Byzanz, but Byzanz did not attack this time. In 1000 had 10 cities and a huge army. Stopped playing, to boring, Byzanz really has to attack.

bye Myri

Indy axemen: they attack a city with weak troop(like skirmisher) but they don't attack an empty city.

Has anybody been able to do Burgundy yet? When I capture Paris, France respawns quickly. So I tried capturing Tours but because I was so unstable, it went indy on me again. Then I tried razing Paris, Tours and Toulouse (to avoid a French respawn), built cities all across the Rhine and Rhone (within my spawn space), and killed the Germans. I had to contribute troops 5 times for the Crusades and NOT ONCE won the freaking bid. (I even had 2 saints and had the most Catholic population, I don't know what the pope is looking for. Techs? Score?) So right now I'm trying to either play for score or domination. The Germans, English and Austrians are my vassals currently.

I thought it was the pope exclusively who chose who went on the trip. All the other Catholic nations like me. (In fact, Hungary who got chosen no less than 3 times was at war with Poland at one time)

Anyway, I'm probably going to restart and try to not war with France but just capture her cities and surround her with my own cities.

I just did Burgandy.

First, found Besancon (SSW of start), research bronze casting (13 turns). Trade for theology. Then architecture. Build barracks then axeman. Hire 2 merc to capture Marseilles. Didn't contact French early because they'll automatically war. After Marseilles, conquer Barcelona, then Valencia (only 1 archer - crossbowman, easy). Barcelona gives access to sheep so we don't have to found Lyon.

Tech toward Vaulted Arches. Built Round Church, bulb literature (research music first). Then built Cluny and Marco Polo. Arab built Uppsala before I got Map Making.

3 cities in Rhone and Rhine valley: Verdun, Liege, Amesterdam. For stability problem, I built cheatau and researched code of laws soon. I built a city on Sicily too.

Founded Hanseastic League and Teutonic Knights (incompatible, but I wanted the knight).

On Crusade, the Pope always chose Venice. So on 4th I stocked 1000+ godl and paid 273 to take control. Strangely, I chose al-Quds, but it appeared to be my capital Bescanon. So I had to build carracks to ship them toward Jerusalem all the way.

After that it's very easy. Venice, Genoa, Germany and England were my vassal.

On faith point: Prostentism is too powerful (-tech cost and wonder/project cost). I had 60 points(with 2 saints) in the end, -30% research and wonder production, this made free religion totally useless (count Cluny and La Mezquita!)

I thought it was the pope exclusively who chose who went on the trip. All the other Catholic nations like me. (In fact, Hungary who got chosen no less than 3 times was at war with Poland at one time)

Anyway, I'm probably going to restart and try to not war with France but just capture her cities and surround her with my own cities.

The Pope has a lot of votes, but the Crusade leader is determined by a vote from all Catholics going on the Crusade. Having units that would leave increases the vote, but others have their units leaving as well, so it balances. Hungary may be at war with one nation, but if they are at peace with everyone else (or if Poland is small), then Hungary has a good chance of winning the vote.

If you contribute troops to a crusade, shouldn't you be able to watch the action, just like when you are voted leader? It'd be nice to be able to see what's happening even though you can't control it..

And, troops sent to crusade lose their promotion. Mercenaries usually been sent, that's a bit unreasonble.

Yeah I figured it's barracks then axemen. Actually founded Nancy closer to the French to war on them plus get some promotions from barbs but I guess staying away from them might work too.

I dunno, youtien, every single time I tech for the Round Church somebody in the east beats me to it (e.g. when I played Cordoba), especially without stone hooked up since Burgundy doesn't have architecture. And the Pope doesn't want to trade me theology since the French traded it to them or he teched it himself!:mad:

Top Bottom