RFCEurope 1.1+

Thanks!
I'm familiar with the mod though :)

Credits
AbsintheRed, Osakasayama, Tigranes, The Turk - early testing & ideas

Also, I don't really think the vassal system he built there would work well for the HRE
In fact I don't think any vassal system would work well for it...

Gps, what would be your solution?

Well, some ideas to work upon:

As leader: Albert of Brandenburg-Ansbach
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_of_Brandenburg-Ansbach

UU: as someone allready mentioned Teutonic Knights

UB: German Wikipedia says the Teutonic Order had a highly developped social care system and a very high priority (even higher than spreading their faith) on health care. It says they had "Firmarien", (which would translate into "Firmaries"), a special kind of hospitals/nursing homes, which could provide healt and/or growth bonusses.

UHV:
- Kulmer Recht (Kulm Law) / Kulmer Handfeste: a law which regulates the systematical founding of cities of the Teutonic Order. Could be linked to founding an appropriate number of cities in a specific time or growing a number of cities to a specific size (making use of the "Firmaries").
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulm_law

- Thirteen year war: resist the destruction of the Teutonic Order, keep a specified territory intact for a given time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteen_Years'_War_(1454–66)

Well, some ideas to work upon:

As leader: Albert of Brandenburg-Ansbach
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_of_Brandenburg-Ansbach

UU: as someone allready mentioned Teutonic Knights

UB: German Wikipedia says the Teutonic Order had a highly developped social care system and a very high priority (even higher than spreading their faith) on health care. It says they had "Firmarien", (which would translate into "Firmaries"), a special kind of hospitals/nursing homes.

UHV:
- Kulmer Recht (Kulm Law) / Kulmer Handfeste: a law which regulates the systematical founding of cities of the Teutonic Order. Could be linked to founding an appropriate number of cities in a specific time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kulm_law

- Thirteen year war: resist the destruction of the Teutonic Order, keep a specified territory intact for a given time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteen_Years'_War_(1454–66)

Personally, I prefer that it won't get the same UU as the corp. I think that the corp should have it's own UU which is different from a civ UU.
I don't mind if the UU is something like a Teutonic Soldier. It may even replace the Knight, as long as it isn't the same unit as the corp UU.

The general idea of the Infirmary (the correct translation of Firmarien ;)) is good. A minor problem, the Hospitaller Knights have an UB that is also called Infirmary. Simple solution, rename one of those. (clinic or something)
It could be a replacement of the Hospital, but available earlier. Or another building with a health and unit heal bonus. (would a Night Watch be appropriate?)

Can you elobarate how your UHV will translate into goals?
When I read your idea about the Kulm Recht, I think it would translate into something like: Found x cities in the following provinces. Or: Found city X, city Y and city Z (the cities have to be at an exact spot). Or very plainly: Found X cities by Y AD.
I'm not sure if these are really challenging. But maybe you had something else in mind, which is challenging.
But it will be nice if the Kulm Recht would be represented, but with some other goals, if possible.

Same for the 13-years-war.
I think of: Don't loose a city untill X AD when I read your idea. Or control some provinces by a certain date.
Is this what you have in mind for the UHV?
Personally, I don't like, don't loose cities UHV. Just build enough defenders and your done, which is quite boring IMO.

Personally, I prefer that it won't get the same UU as the corp. I think that the corp should have it's own UU which is different from a civ UU.

Good point, to be honest I would have expected the Corp. to be dropped as soon as the Civ would arrive. If you want to keep the corp, this is a problem. On the other hand: if the corp stays, it could be made an UHV to actually found it or spread it or something like that.

Can you elobarate how your UHV will translate into goals?

To be honest I only ever played one game full of RFCE, so I must say my knowledge of game mechnics is not that profound. I kind of slipped into this discussion more or less on the historical "Prussia" issue - and am completely open for anything that you guys (which I consider experts in this mod) feel appropriate or making best sense gameplaywise.

Good point, to be honest I would have expected the Corp. to be dropped as soon as the Civ would arrive. If you want to keep the corp, this is a problem. On the other hand: if the corp stays, it could be made an UHV to actually found it or spread it or something like that.

This came to my mind as well. We shouldn't decrease the amount of crusader corps, so removing isn't an option. But if it can be replace by another crusader corp, we can remove the Teutonic Knight Corp.

To be honest I only ever played one game full of RFCE, so I must say my knowledge of game mechnics is not that profound. I kind of slipped into this discussion more or less on the historical "Prussia" issue - and am completely open for anything that you guys (which I consider experts in this mod) feel appropriate or making best sense gameplaywise.

Then I suggest play some more game to get inspiration. ;)
Also playing other mods are a good source of inspiration.

Some brainstorming about the UP:
1. The UP from RFCE++
The Power of Cameralism: Start in Theocracy and no instability from anarchy.

2. The power of (no name yet)
All cities start with the Teutonic Knights corp.
I'm not sure about this one. It might be OP. And what if the TK aren't founded yet? And it could also be a weakness due to the high maintenance costs and so killing the TO)

3. The power of (no name yet):
No/Halved maintenance costs from crusader corps (and spreading crusader corps don't cost :gold:)

FYI guys, I plan to make a poll between the RFCE++ version, and the one you put together
So an informed decision (gameplay-wise) between Teutonic Order and Prussia somewhat merged together, against a clear Teutonic Order

To be honest I only ever played one game full of RFCE
No surprises here.

2. The power of (no name yet)
All cities start with the Teutonic Knights corp.
I'm not sure about this one. It might be OP. And what if the TK aren't founded yet? And it could also be a weakness due to the high maintenance costs and so killing the TO)

3. The power of (no name yet):
No/Halved maintenance costs from crusader corps (and spreading crusader corps don't cost :gold:)
How about a combination of the 2.

Teutonic Knights Corporation starts in all cities and has halved maintenance.

On the other hand, Prussia in RFCE++ can be said to already have this UP (in addition to their "official" UP of Cameralism), due to their starting units & gold.

Actually I think all Corporations in RFCE should be changed to spread automatically and cost little maintenance (but with lower Yields and no Headquarters), same as in SoI, DoC, RFCA, and RFCCW. Currently, Corporation Headquarters are ridiculously overpowered especially for the Human player.

I may be able to help with scripting and some basic artwork. I can do basic C++, Python, and Photoshop.

Thanks! You can help me with optimizing some python codes, if you have time :)
Will PM you tomorrow about it

Actually I will post it here ;)

Here is the code I wrote for inqusitions:
Code:
	# Absinthe: start Inquisitor AI proper (based on SoI)
	def doInquisitorCore_AI(self, pUnit):

iOwner = pUnit.getOwner()
		iStateReligion = gc.getPlayer(iOwner).getStateReligion()
		iTolerance = con.tReligiousTolerance[iOwner]
		apCityList = PyPlayer(iOwner).getCityList()

# Looks to see if the AI controls a city with a religion that is not the State Religion, not a Holy City, and do not has religious wonders in it
		for iReligion in con.tPersecutionOrder[iStateReligion]:
			for pCity in apCityList:
				if pCity.GetCy().isHasReligion(iReligion) and not pCity.GetCy().isHolyCityByType(iReligion):

bWonder = false
					for iBuilding in xrange(gc.getNumBuildingInfos()):
						if pCity.GetCy().getNumRealBuilding(iBuilding):
							BuildingInfo = gc.getBuildingInfo(iBuilding)
							if BuildingInfo.getPrereqReligion() == iReligion:
								if isWorldWonderClass(BuildingInfo.getBuildingClassType()) or isNationalWonderClass(BuildingInfo.getBuildingClassType()):
									bWonder = true
									break

if bWonder: continue # skip the code below, and continue with the next city in the loop

bFound = False
					# If the civ's tolerance > 70 it won't purge any religions
					# If > 50 (but < 70) it will only purge Islam with a Christian State Religion, and all Christian Religions with Islam as State Religion
					# If > 30 (but < 50) it will also purge Judaism
					# If < 30 it will purge all but the State Religion (so the other 2 Christian Religions as well)
					if iTolerance < 70:
						if iReligion == xml.iIslam: bFound = True
						elif iReligion == xml.iCatholicism or iReligion == xml.iOrthodoxy or iReligion == xml.iProtestantism:
							if iStateReligion != xml.iCatholicism and iStateReligion != xml.iOrthodoxy and iStateReligion != xml.iProtestantism:
								bFound = True
					if iTolerance < 50:
						if iReligion == xml.iJudaism: bFound = True
					if iTolerance < 30:
						bFound = True

if bFound:
						city = pCity.GetCy()
						if pUnit.generatePath(city.plot(), 0, False, None):
							self.doInquisitorMove(pUnit, city)
							return

def doInquisitorMove(self, pUnit, pCity):
		if pUnit.getX() != pCity.getX() or pUnit.getY() != pCity.getY():
			pUnit.getGroup().pushMission(MissionTypes.MISSION_MOVE_TO, pCity.getX(), pCity.getY(), 0, False, True, MissionAITypes.NO_MISSIONAI, pUnit.plot(), pUnit)
		else:
			utils.prosecute(pCity.getX(), pCity.getY(), pUnit.getID())
	# Absinthe: end

Efficiency is far from perfect...
Here are some tips I got, but didn't yet implement them:

The current code is doing:
For each religion in the persecution list
Loop through every city
Check if it has the religion, and is not holy city or wonders.
Then check tolerance level
If found, move inquisitor to that city.
If inquisitor is there, persecute.

1) Shouldn't tolerance level be checked before the city looping.
Why bother to loop through the cities if tolerance level is ok for that religion?
Also, placing the tolerance check there, you are checking tolerance for the same religion for each and every city. Inefficient. Place it before city loops, and you are just checking once for each religion. If it passed the tolerance check, then there isn't a need to do the city loops.

2) Currently, once the intolerable religion in a city is found, the inquistor is set to move there.
What if it cannot move there, it will not bother to search for another city.

The second question is an interesting one
Not yet sure how would be the best to solve it...

How can I test my code? I don't think I have a python compiler (or what do you use to compile it?).

Python files are not compiled in Civ IV
The .dll is only compiled from the C++ files

But you can post your ideas here, no prob with that either

If have to pick between including Prussia and including the Teutonic Order, I would definately reccomend giving Prussia priority-- Prussia became a major power in Europe, especially in the 18th century, the late game of RFCE. Simply replacing them with Germany in that time frame will no longer work-- the Holy Roman Empire became very weak by that time from the Habsburg Emperors making power concessions to continue to be elected. A united Germany is outside of the mod's timeframe-- while Prussia should be designed to replace Germany as the major power in the region like the Ottomans replace the Byzantines, they shouldn't be designed to claim all of Germany. I would also add that a good portion of Prussia existed outside of the Holy Roman Empire's borders. Choosing to keep the Prussians but not the Teutonic Order would be like choosing to keep the Ottomans but not the Seljuks, I think.

I'm not really sure what are you saying with this :confused:

I meant that in the original non++, the Ottomans were kept because they needed to be a civ, but the Seljuks weren't becuase they could be represented as barbarian spawns. Keeping Prussia but not the Order would be a similar decision, at least in terms of picking civs based on historical/gameplay importance.

That's more or less true, Prussia is more important to European history in my opinion too
But as you probably saw in the other thread, the problem is with having Prussia while having a united HRE/Germany on the map
Solution one is to totally group them together with the Teutonic Order, to have an "excuse" for them being there outside the HRE
Solution two is to only represent the TO here, and wait for 2.0 with Prussia where there will (hopefully) be a better HRE system, so they can really shine

Top Bottom