RFCH - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization - Historical scenarios

MarkyParky

Chieftain
RFCH - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization - Historical scenarios(RFCH)

Public betaversion (first 5 scenarios) attached.

What is RFCH?

RFCH stays for Rhye's and Fall of Civiziation - Historical. It is a set of scenarios made for excellent Rhye's and Fall of Civilization (RFC) mod, designed for Civilization IV - Beyond The Sword.

Why RFCH?

Original RFC is designed to make civilizations to behave similar to their historical behaviour. This make playing Earth map more realistic, but still keeps some flexibility. This as good for repetitive game-play (you can try different approaches with different outcomes), but it has a serious drawback. If you start game at some later stage, you get all the time different starting conditions, that depends on the AI auto-play. This is kind of a drawback, because you can never try out some historical event in later game stage, because the game itself partially deviated from the history (for example you can not try drive out Arabs out of Europe with your knights, if AI was not able to get Arabs to Europe at all). The other drawback is, that you can only make late start with a new civilisation - it is not possible to jump right into the 16th century and try to reunite Holy Roman Empire). So I decide to make a series of scenarios that allows you to replay later moments of history using RFC mod.

How is this accomplished?

I started a game from year 600 and converted it to scenario. I have changed ownership of cities and balanced armies and relations to make game follow historical story line for next couple of turns. Then I auto-played 100 years and again corrected ownership of cities, armies and relations. This way, I am slowly creating one scenario by the other. I have also changed leader and country names to fit historicalenvironment and I have made playable only civilisations, that were present at the time of the game.

How to use RFCH?

Simply put all scenario files to your Rhye's and Fall of Civilization/PublicMaps directory. Then start RFC and choose any scenario from menu in the game.

RFC is complex mod. Are there some problems with implementation?

Yes, there are some minor side-efects. They do not affect game-play itself, still you may notice them. They are mostly caused by some details hard-coded in DLL. List of known bugs follow:
- In all scenarios, Egypt must be playable nation even-though it should not be (for example in year 600, Egypt was under Byzantine control)
- If you start with any nation, you always receive starting units given by the mod to original starting locations. This might look weird in the later stages (you get new settlers and warriors even-though your empire is already built and you drive land with knights and mace-men). This might also lead to unpredicted behaviour (Roman units gets always spawn in city of Rome, capturing it even if it is "Minor nation" like Papal states, in later game).
- AI switch preset civics after couple of turn, causing change of the leader and civilisation name. After first switch, the civilisation returns to original RFC naming. This has both positive and negative effect. Positive is, that dynamic changes are working, so Spain will not stay "Caliphate of Cordoba" for rest of the game. Negative effect is, that it sometimes happens too fast andRussian civilisation becomes "Slavic people" in one or two turns, even-though it should remain "Principality of Kiev" for another two hundred years.
- On starting screen, you still see waiting time for loading, even-though there is no loading time at all (as you may play only civilisations, that are already present)
- First window that opens after starting the scenario shows negative turns (this is hard-coded to DLL).

Scenarios description (scenarios so far made, things that are planned to be updated later on are marked with asterix*)
Spoiler :

600 AD
Playable civs:
India (Kaanuj Kingdom)
China (Chinese Empire)
Persia (Persian Empire)
Japan (Yamato People)
Ethiopia (Aksum Kingdom)
Maya (Maya People)
Viking (Norse People)

700 AD
Playable civs:
India (Kaanuj Kingdom)

China (Chinese Empire)
Rome (Kingdom of Italy)
Japan (Empire of Japan)
Ethiopia (Aksum Kingdom)
Maya (Tikal Kingdom)
Viking (Norse People)
Arab (Umayyad Caliphate)
Khmer (Khmer people)

800 AD
Playable civs:
India (Pala Empire)
China (Chinese Empire)
Japan (Japanese Shogunate)*
Ethiopia (Abyssinian People)
Maya (Maya People)
Viking (Viking Union)*
Arab (Umayyad Calyphate)
Khmer (Khmer People)
Spain (Caliphate of Al-Andalus, vasal to Umayyad Calyphate)
France (Frankish Kingdom)

900 AD (needs further historical research and tweaking to show correctly vasal dependency of calyphates)
Playable civs:
Egypt (Tulunid Emirate, vasal to Abbasid Calyphate)*
India (Gurjara)
China (Chinese Empire)
Persia (Seistan Empire, vasal to Abbasid Calyphate)*
Cartago (Aghlabid Kingdom, vasal to Abbasid Calyphate)*
Rome (Kingdom of Italy)
Ethiopia (Kingdom of Ethiopia)*
Maya (Maya People)
Viking (Viking Union)*
Arab (Abbasid Calyphate)*
Khmer (Khmer Empire)
Spain (Ommayad Emirate of Cordoba)
France (West Frankish Kingdom)
England (Kingodm of Wessex)
Germany (East Frankish Kingdom)
Russia (Principality of Kiev)

1000 AD
Playable civs:
Egypt (Fatimid Calyphate)
India (Hindu People)
China (Chinese Empire)
Persia (Abbasid Calyphate)*
Cartago (Zirid Kingdom, vasal to Fatimid Calyphate)
Ethiopia (Kingdom of Ethiopia)*
Maya (Maya People)
Viking (Kindom of Sweden)
Arab (Calyphate of Arabia)
Khmer (Khmer Empire)
Spain (Cordoba Calyphate)
France (Kingdom of the Franks)
England (Kingdom of England)
Germany (Holy Roman Empire)
Russia (Principality of Kiev)
Mali (Mali People)

Version history

Spoiler :

Version 0.4
- first public version
- city names in all scenarios updated, to make them historical. Auto-renamimng routine of RFC changes them to modern later on automaticaly based on different events
- technologies updated for all scenarios (needs further fixing)
- 1000 AD scenario created using autoplay and manual correction

Version 0.3
- 700 AD and 600 AD scenarios updated - India and China weakened, to be balanced with other civs
- 800 AD and 900 AD scenarios created using autoplay and manual correction

Version 0.2
- 600 AD scenario updated - Byzantines weakened, to make Arabian rise easier, placement of most of World Wonders corrected
- 700 AD scenario created using autoplay and manual correction

Version 0.1
- fist attempt to make scenario, discovering some RFC internal mechanics
- 600 scenario screated by conversion from 600 starting position

Any feedback is welcome, especialy gameplay experience for further balancing of the scenarios.

Attachments

• RFCH_v0_4.zip
    267.5 KB · Views: 789
Looks interesting. I think history1 would love this. Any chance of doing this with the 3000 B.C. start as well?

Sounds promising, will have a look.

- In all scenarios, Egypt must be playable nation even-though it should not be (for example in year 600, Egypt was under Byzantine control)

In your example Egypt should then be a Byzantine vassal.

For other bugs/errors I suggest contacting Rhye; I'm sure he can help out with some, if not all of this stuff.

I don't think Egypt should be Byzanitine vasal. Lets see an example from modern history, some thirty years ago. We had Soviet Union, Lithuania and Czechoslovakia. These three have different relationship.

Czechoslovakia was recognised as independent state, but its goverment was directed from Moscow, it was "protected" by armies of Warsaw pact, etc. In the terms of RFC, Czechoslovakia was vasal state of Soviet Union.

On the other hand Lithuania was completely anexed by Soviet Union after the World War II and was considered as part of Soviet Union. In terms of RFC, Lithuania was a destroyed (or not playing) civilization. Later on, when Soviet Union colapsed, Lithuania was again a free state (in terms of RFC, lithuanina civilisation raised again when Soviet Union colapsed).

Egypt in 600 is the second situaton. It was completely under Byzantian control and part of Byzantian Empire, not a vasal state.

If I understand correctly, are these files just specific saves at different dates in which you modified the world to render it more "historical"? A little bit like Rhye created the 600 AD start ?

I don't want to diminish your work, not at all, I think that's great; I would just like to understand what exactly they are compared to RFC :)

You get it right, only they are not savegames, but scenarios. And they are a bit different than original 600 starting scenario, as they are focused on playing existing civilizations, instead of upcoming ones..

I don't think Egypt should be Byzanitine vasal. Lets see an example from modern history, some thirty years ago. We had Soviet Union, Lithuania and Czechoslovakia. These three have different relationship.

Czechoslovakia was recognised as independent state, but its goverment was directed from Moscow, it was "protected" by armies of Warsaw pact, etc. In the terms of RFC, Czechoslovakia was vasal state of Soviet Union.

On the other hand Lithuania was completely anexed by Soviet Union after the World War II and was considered as part of Soviet Union. In terms of RFC, Lithuania was a destroyed (or not playing) civilization. Later on, when Soviet Union colapsed, Lithuania was again a free state (in terms of RFC, lithuanina civilisation raised again when Soviet Union colapsed).

Egypt in 600 is the second situaton. It was completely under Byzantian control and part of Byzantian Empire, not a vasal state.

I know that, I was just trying to be helpful. Anyway, tried out the 600 AD variant as the Vikings til 1080 AD (don't know if 600 AD is the standard start date for the Vikings, as I rarely play them). Had fun expanding all over Scandinavia, dumped an Axeman on Ireland for a Settler to follow, but this never materialized as the English beat me to it. Further expansion was thwarted by the spawning of the Germans and, to a lesser extent, the French, Dutch (would love to try those) and the Russians. Meanwhile I was able to upgrade my Scout to an Explorer, happily discovering the Persians and Arabs until, trying to reroute through the Caucasus, my bold Explorer got killed by a Byzantine Musketman in 1070 AD! (Bit weird, that was...)

With a little less editing (or a bit more re-editing) you might avoid odd things like "Arabia has declared war on Arabia!" events and Romans spawning in the middle of the Papal State. (That way the scenarios might maybe better fit in with RFC as well.) I realize that's a slightly less ambitious goal, but it would be fun to have more Advanced Start dates for RFC. (Maybe Rhye picks up on this - that'd be great!)

Will try some more scenarios later.;)

Tried out the 700 AD (as the Arabs) and 800 AD versions (as the Franks) as well. Some comments on the latter:
- Charlemagne starts with Islam as State Religion
- turns 1 establishes contact with all civs
- some incorrect city names (like Aquincium - no i in there).

While they are fun to play, I think the scenarios need a bit more work.;)

Thank for feedback.

Yes, scenarios definitely need more work to be acurate. Thank you for bugreports and feedbacks. I will now continue developing some basic versions of next ten scenarios and when this is done, I will start polishing already existing scenarios based both on bugreports and my own playtesting.

Also, playing until about 1000 AD, the only choice I got was Mali. The other civs spawning just appeared on the map...

I have noticed, that in some case (for example playing as vikings) some civilization spawns are without possibility to take over new civilization and in other cases, possibility is always offered. I will investigate this further.

IIRC it's to do with you being too close to the spawning civ, making it too easy to exploit the system by, for example, using Babylonia to improve the Arabia start.

Definitely yes and I plan to do so later on, but first I would like to continue next 1000 years till today, as this is easier to research...

Cant you drop it down to every 10 years once you get to the 1900s cause a lot of things have happened in the 20th century

Haven't yet loaded the mod, though I'm intrigued what you mean by the 'Kaanuj Kingdom' (which google only returns to this thread). Do you mean the Empire built by Harsha?

The middle kingdom era of India is really not good at being shown by the RFC model - I'd argue there wasn't a kingdom that could be called 'domiant' between the fall of the Guptas and the rise of the Pratihara (hindu) and the Pala (buddist) in the 8th and 9th centuries respectively, before the Pratihara come back in the 10th. Really you should just stick to the Pratihara (at varying strengths) from 700-1000 as the their the closest to the RFC interpretation of India.

Top Bottom