1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RFCM:BWS] An Iberian Love Story

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by Alexius08, Apr 9, 2011.

1. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to settle NZ. I mean even Star Trek considers it nothing but a penal colony... :p

2. Yoshiegg737

Yoshiegg737 Jungo Jungo

General Olaf is behind you, and he's not happy :backstab:

3. MaxWar

MaxWar King

When Olaf is done with him, i suspect Peter Jackson will want to have a go too :p

4. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

Bah! As if a Kiwi would be able to find his way out of that penal colony. They are so laid back that they generally can't find their way out of a bottle with two hands and a flashlight! :D

5. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

I join Olaf's side.
    NOW WHAT :p
    Please, no nationalistic discussions, we've had enough war already.

6. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

Now nothing.

I'm a Kiwi, so I am allowed to say whatever I want about NZ. Sorta like Chris Rock and his onstage n-word rant :D

7. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

that's a brilliant rant :D

8. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

That it was. Got to the heart of the whole matter and concisely summed up what is holding back not only black Americans but also most of the underprivileged of the world that receive special treatment in their native countries: Malays, Maori, Aborigines, etc.

If those groups spend as much time striving as they do whining, their respective countries would be wonders to behold.

9. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

Are you in S&T, by any chance?

10. mayor

mayor Heart & Mind

we are in S&T right now :confused:

11. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

I meant the group.:p
    And now I can't even remember why I said it. Result of mugging up too much for a Physics test you have tomorrow.:dunno::dunno::dunno:

12. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

Nope.

13. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

He's an expat, I'll let it go. :p And unfortunately, the bottle bit is broadly true :sad: (although not in my family/group of friends :)).

That said, last time I checked Borneo wasn't even in the running. :p Interested to see how this turns out.

14. Tycho

Tycho AFK Forum Warrior

Indeed, it will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

15. AJ11

AJ11 Emperor

The Chris Rock Factor :D

16. Alexius08

Alexius08 Emperor

Her orders for the referendum consequentially sped up the construction of the communication lines as demand for the new medium increased. The increasing interconnection brought together millions of people who are also losing trust of the established political parties. They believe no more in the demagoguery of either side and they have witnessed endless altercation over the allocation of resources, general incompetence of the lazy military officers and the underdeveloped infrastructure of some cities. They also vowed to topple the oligarchy that has stagnated growth of the colonies using the power they have gained through this medium to increase their numbers and to make more sweeping options available to them.

Despite the people's participation in the referendum, most of them were unready to move to wherever the new capital would be due to massive costs associated with migration. The royal couple had prepared as soon as they announced the referendum, however, secretly driving back and forth for several weeks between their palaces at Lisboa and Madrid with their packed-up possessions, expecting to embark as soon as it's over. It was not until the end of the referendum they were able to travel freely and openly.

"¿Lo que ocurrió en el plebiscito, Isa?" João asked when they got back to Madrid.

"Se acabó," she replied, glancing at him before looking back to the screen, "y para nosotros, ellos han escogido Borneo de nuestro nuevo hogar."

"Pero ¿sabes lo que pensaban de las Cortes?" she suddenly sidetracked as she scrolled down to reveal the people's vitriolic comments. "Acceden conmigo, y ellos quieren eliminar esas coaliciones."

"¿Cómo fueron capaces de expresar esos sentimientos?" he questioned her, still skeptical of the opinion of the normally-repressed people. "Están bajo la supervisión constante de—"

"Les di el anonimato," she interrupted him. "Ya ¿cómo sus jefes puedan vigilar a los miembros, por no hablar de rastrear el origen de estos comentarios a una persona específica?"

"Hemos de ver nuestros súbditos cuanto antes," he challenged. "Me atrevo les expresar su opinión ante nosotros."

They rushed to the terrace and witnessed a massive crowd marching across the road, on their way to the Cortes. People from all walks of life carried placards and banners bearing statements criticizing the government's inaction over the deteriorating living conditions and chanted slogans such as "Necesitamos transformación", "No les votes" and "Democracia real ya". Waiting for the protesters at the road to Puerta de Sol are members of the Guardia Civil, who hurried on erecting a makeshift barricade to stop the protesters from advancing and to trap them at the road near the palace.

"Ver? Estamos tão perto de ter uma guerra civil," he tried to discourage her. "Começaste isso e tu somente podes terminar este antes de piora."

"Estás dizendo que não posso lidar com isso? Ainda tenho influência sobre o povo," she boasted. "Vem comigo lá embaixo e vê-me lidar com eles."

"Tens a certeza que elas nos escutarão?" he asked, still skeptical of her scheme and somewhat unwilling to participate.

"Por que não? Previ isso, e eu preparei para isto há muito," she replied before she took out a piece of paper, written on which is a speech she prepared several years earlier.

"Então, qual é seu plano?" he said after glancing at her writing, "Dissolução das Cortes?"

"Isso mesmo, mas vou começar outro dentro de dois meses. Depois, proibirei as coligações existentes, seus associados partidos e todos os seus membros de entrar em todas as eleições futuras."

"Porque só agora? Porque não me disseste isso mais cedo?"

"O apoio do povo é uma parte essencial do meu plano, que obtive hoje. Antes que partirmos amanhã, quero que esta questão seja resolvida agora. Então, por favor, coopera comigo."

"Como queira, minha querida."

Immediately, they rushed to the balcony, and they were distraught to see the rally turn into a riot. Despite constant barrage from water cannons and heavy fog of teargas, the undeterred crowd kept on pushing the barricades and threw stones to police officers defending the barricade while the police retaliated against the protesters with their batons. Enraged by the ongoing violence, Isabel screamed at the top of her lungs, "Paren este. ¡Paren este!"

"No oyeronte porque hay demasiado ruido allá abajo," João, nearly deafened by her voice, told her as he held up a megaphone, "Cálmate y habla través de este para que oirán nos."

She nodded to him before looking upon the disorderly crowd. "Mis hijos y hijas," she called them, "esta es Su Majestad, Emperatriz Isabel, y tenemos que hablar de esto."

The people, immediately recognizing the loud voice coming from the balcony, turned around to see the royal couple, both in their complete regalia. Silence and peace followed as they awaited a message from the two, apparently in reaction to what was happening earlier. They have never spoken about the ongoing turmoil before, and they were the one of the last few people to remain undecided over the matter.

She then began her speech, "Hace un siglo, ustedes he dado el derecho al voto para las personas que reemplazarían a los nobles en las Cortes y que lo represente en los asuntos del imperio. Yo mismo estaba cansado de las disputas de los aristócratas de entonces, y he dado les todos sus poderes, con la esperanza de que lo vas a utilizarlos para el beneficio de cada uno de nosotros. Después de varias décadas, ustedes han sido testigos del deterioro de estado de nuestro imperio, en el que partidos políticos y sus coaliciones respectivas ganan poder a través de los medios que son cada vez más cuestionables.

Sin embargo, ustedes querían mantener la estructura actual del gobierno, sin que los funcionarios corruptos que han olvidado sus electores, sin que la sistema bipartidista emulado por las coaliciones. Ahora que ha hablado en contra de la tiranía de bipartidismo, nos gustaría informarles de que estamos uniendo la causa."

A thunderous applause followed. The monarchs' announcement of joining the cause of the protesters is certainly welcome news for them. With them supporting their side, the tides could be turned into their favor. The next thing the crowd awaited, however, is their action over this matter, because they have grown tired of meaningless words.

"Que tenhamos um referendo para a dissolução das Cortes?" he whispered amidst the applause of the people.

"Vamos pular essa. Nós já sabemos que estão a favor dela," she brushed him off before continuing her proclamation.

"A través de las facultades conferidas en nosotros como rey y reina de Castilla, por la presente mandamos, mañana eficaz: de suspender las sesiones de las Cortes durante dos meses; de rescindir sin perjuicio de todos los miembros de las Cortes actuales de sus funciones; de disolver ambas coaliciones y todos sus partidos miembros respectivos; de descalificar a todos los miembros de los partidos antes mencionados, que son elegidos a cualquier posición ya sea previamente o actualmente para todas elecciones futuras; y de celebrar elecciones para los nuevos miembros de las Cortes al término del periodo de aplazamiento.

Y paren de contar. Gracias por su confianza continua en nosotros y que Dios nos bendiga a todos."

After ending her speech, he in turn spoke, "Antes que olvidemos, quisiéramos decirles que mañana iremos a construir nuestra nueva capital en Borneo, los cuales serán compartidos por nuestros imperios. Nos vemos aquí amanecer de mañana en la puerta de este palacio, si quiere juntarse a nosotros en nuestro viaje."

The royal couple then left the balcony to go to a nearby church to say a little prayer before leaving the next day. The protesters, however, remained at the road and camped there overnight, much to the surprise of the two when they walked out of the palace.

Spoiler translation :
    "What happened on the plebiscite, Isa?"
    "It's over, and for us, they chose Borneo as our new home."
    "But do you know what they think of the Cortes? They agree with me, and they want to eliminate those coalitions."
    "How they were able to express their sentiments? They're under constant supervision by—"
    "I gave them anonymity. Now, how could their leaders monitor their members, much less trace the origin of a comment to a specific person?"
    "We need to meet our subjects right now. I dare them to express their opinions before us."
    Spoiler protester slogans :
    "We need change"
    "Don't vote for them"
    "Real democracy now"
    "See, we're so close to having a civil war. You started this and only you can end this before it worsens."
    "Are you saying that I can't handle this? I still have influence over the people. Come with me down there and see me deal with them."
    "Are you sure that they would listen to us?"
    "Why not? I have foreseen this, and I have prepared for this for so long."
    "So what is your plan? Dissolve the Cortes?"
    "Exactly, and I'll have another within two months. Afterwards, I'll ban existing coalitions, their associated parties and all of their members from entering future elections."
    "Why just now? Why didn't you tell me much earlier?"
    "The support of the people is an essential part of my plan, which I got today. Before we leave tomorrow, I want this issue to be resolved now. So, please cooperate with me."
    "As you wish, my dear."
    "Stop this. Stop this!"
    "They can't hear you because there's too much noise down there. Calm down and talk through this so that they will hear us."
    "My sons and daughters, this is Her Majesty, Empress Isabel, and we have to talk about this."
    "A century ago, I gave you the right to vote for people who would replace the nobles in the courts and represent you in the affairs of the empire. I myself was tired of the bickering among the nobles back then, and I have given you all of their powers, hoping that you'll use them for the benefit of each of us. After several decades, you have witnessed the deteriorating state of our empire, in which political parties and their respective coalitions gain power through means that are increasingly questionable.

However, you wanted to keep the current structure of government, without those corrupt officials who have forgotten their constituents, without the two-party system emulated by those coalitions. Now that you have spoken out against the tyranny of bipartisanship, we would like to inform you that we are joining the cause."
    "Can we have a referendum on the dissolution of the Cortes?"
    "Let's skip that. We already know that they are in favor of it."
    "Through the powers vested in us as king and queen of Castile, we hereby order, effective tomorrow: to suspend the sessions of the Parliament for two months; to terminate without prejudice all current members of the Cortes from their duties; to dissolve both coalitions and all their respective parties; to disqualify all current members of the aforementioned parties who are elected to any national-level position, either previously or currently, from all future elections; and to hold elections for new members of the Cortes at the end of the deferment period."
    "And that's all. Thank you for your continued confidence in us and may God bless us all."
    "Before we could forget, we would like to tell you that tomorrow we will go to build our new capital in Borneo, which will be shared by our empires. See you here tomorrow morning at the gate of this palace, if you want to join us on our journey."

[OOC]
    I'm undecided over which titles the two would use. King/Queen of Castile and King/Queen of Portugal would be certainly used, but should I give them the title of Emperor/Empress of all Spain? If then, I would edit the earlier updates to replace all previous references to Spain with Castile, and begin using Spain in the context of this story as the union of the two (somewhat inspired by this AltHist timeline).

The next update would involve the protesters and I'm planning to introduce more characters (most of which would be portrayed as participants of the rally) before finally sending the royal couple and the protesters to the harbor of Lisbon.

17. j_mie6

j_mie6 Deity

Imperator and Lady of Iberia :p

18. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

:agree: except Imperator instead of Imperitor

19. Alexius08

Alexius08 Emperor

I'd use Emperor/Empress of all Iberia, if then.

20. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

Imperator!!!!