1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's and Fall of Africa

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Black Hawk 4701, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

I was sceptical if an Africa scenario could work, but it sounds like it does :goodjob:

Do you think the European civs should be playable? Or should they behave more like the Portuguese in SoI?

Also, when will the modmod end? I suggest just before the Scramble for Africa, because it should be mainly about the native African civs, not about imperialist Europeans fighting over their spoils ;)

2. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

Yes, when it should end is one question. My suggestion was 1985, as we then are able to include the Zulu's and still cut off just before we would have needed a plague to run through the continent (HIV/AIDS). Basically my thought for the Europeans was them creating civs of their own in the late game, simply changing their names (France -> Senagal, England -> Liberia, Dutch -> South-Africa, Portugal -> Angola). If the dynamic names could be set to change upon discovery of a certain tech, that would probaby work. Still, another option might be to cut off before the Scramble for Africa. Then this would be my Zulu suggestion:
    Dutch start in South-Afica in the year 1650, with the Zulu in the year 1700 (the Dutch then have some time to establish themselves). Th Zulu goal will partly be to remove the Dutch from the land (which will be hard as they are already established and have more advanced weaponry). If we then end at 1880, the Zulu will have enough time to kick around for a while. At the same time, if the Dutch found enough cities, they could change name to Orange Free State (a Boer republic in South Africa), keeping the historical reality to it. At the same time, Liberia could be included as Playable.

So my final suggestion is: All european nations except the Dutch will be unplayable and have only one city (A trading post established to gain contact with other nations). The french one could be Fort Dauphin in Madagascar (having another one too in the Seychylles so they won't be killed if kicked out), making it a goal for the Malagsay civ to 'kick out the nasty French from Madagascar', while the Portuguese one could be in Angola and the British one in Sierra Leone. Also, the nations should be unable to decleare war on the Europeans (except the Dutch) and the Malagasy should start at war with the French, a war that will not end until the French are kicked out of Madagascar.

Out of these suggestions, have now made THIS list:
    Spoiler :
    Civs on map from start:
    - Byzantium (North-East Africa, but no real core territory, as they start on the core territory of the Turks and the Mamluks; Instability solved by granting less penalty for cities on Mamluk and Turk core territory) - Capital: Antioch
    - Sassanids (Persia) - Capital: Ctesiphon
    - Vandals (Maghrib) - Capital: Carthage
    - Kanem-Bornu (Modern day Chad) - Capital: Njimi
    - Yoruba (start in Ife) (Nigeria) - Capital: Ife
    - Ethiopia/Aksumite - Capital: Aksum
    - Makuria (Sudan/South Egypt) - Capital: Dongola
    Then these would soon follow in:
    - Arabia (620 AD) - Capital: Mecca
    - Swahili (650 AD) (East-Coast of Africa) - Capital: Zanzibar
    Followed by a second 'wave' of starting nations
    - Hausa (1000 AD) (Nigeria-Niger-Chad) - Capital: Kano
    - Morocco (1040 AD) - Capital: Marrakesh
    - Turks/Ottomans (1040 AD) (Capital: Isfahan, capital of Seljuk Empire) (Persia, North Levant) - Upon the conquest of Antioch, the capital automatically switches to that city
    - Zimbabwe (1070 AD) - Capital: Great Zimbabwe
    Then we get the more regular, every now and then, spawns:
    - Mali (1230 AD) - Capital: Ka-ba
    - Mamluks (1250 AD) Conditional spawn: only if Arabia is Unstable or Collapsed, something the Turks should usually have fixed by now - Capital: Cairo
    - Kongo (1390 AD) - Capital: Mbanza-Kongo
    - Somalia (1410 AD) (Start of Adal Sultanate) - Capital: Zeila
    - Songhai (1460 AD) Conditional spawn: only if Mali is Unstable or Collapsed - Capital: Gao
    - Merina (1625 AD) (Madagascar) - Capital: Antananarivo
    - Ashanti (1670 AD) (Ghana/Ivory Coast) - Capital: Kumasi
    - Oman (1690 AD) (Southern Arabia) - Capital: Muscat
    - Dutch/Boer (1650 AD) (Western South-Africa) - Capital: Kaapstad (Cape Town)
    - Zulu (1700 AD) (Eastern South-Africa) - Capital: Ulundi

Unplayable Europeans (one city-trading posts)
    - Spain (1500 AD) (Start in Algerie) City: Mazalquivir (Mers El Kébir)
    - Portugal (1570 AD) (Start in Angola) City: Luanda
    - France (1650 AD) (Madagascar/Seychylles) City (M): Fort Dauphin, City (S): Séchelles
    - Britain (1660 AD) (Sierra Leone): Bunce Island

Thoughts?

3. Leoreth

Sounds good so far. What's the rationale behind the inability to declare war on Europeans? It's possible to keep players alive even with all their cities lost, if that was the reason.

It might be worth a thought to separate the Dutch and Boers into different civs.

4. christos200

christos200 Never tell me the odds

I want see a Ethiopia - sassanid war.

5. veBear

Just throwing some ideas here... The reason you can't decleare war on the Europeans was basically to have them represented as one-city states through the whole game, adding the european influence to the game. Also, this allows for the Europeans to have a special resource that Sub-Saharan civs need to build gunpowder-units that the African civs can get by trade: guns. Would be realistic as you then would need to trade with the Europeans to gain your resource. I also think that splitting the French colony civ into two would be a good idea, maybe using the Mauritos instead of the Seychylles, and then adding a 'Fort Dauphin' civ (unplayable) only there for the Malagasy civ to conquer. To do this, the Malagasy would have to trade some of their own resources for guns from one of the european nations. Also, when the European nations appear, everyone should get in contact with them and stay so through the game (not dissapearing when a long time has passed as with other RFC civs).

Personally, I'm against this, as the Boers were basically a dutch colony that the dutch lost control over. In that case, I'd say we leave the Dutch out and only includes Boers. These should have access to guns.

6. MariusMR

MariusMR Chieftain

As a "Boer' myself I can assure you we are not just "a Dutch colony that the Dutch lost control of".

7. Leoreth

Americans would say the same thing :lol:

8. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

Hahaa, and from the British point of view they really are nothing more :p

9. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

Is this project dead?

10. Kubko

Kubko Chieftain

I am currently making it.

Someone tell me what cities there should be in 500AD start(byzantium? do they control jerusalem and alexandria), sassanids(do they control whole persia), ethiopia, vandals, and the rest veBear suggested

11. veBear

For Byzantium, I say these cities:
    Antioch (Capital), Jerusalem, Alexandria and Antalya, and one of their historical goals would defenitely be to conquer all of North-Africa.

Sassanids control all of persia, yes.

Low battery on computer, so can't write more now.

12. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

Good to know somebody is doing this :)

13. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

If you can sent me your map and list of civs at start, I'll help you stimulate what 500AD around there is really like~

14. Kubko

Kubko Chieftain

Thanks, please use this thread from now on:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11101889

There's a link to the map and xml with civs is included