Rhye's and Fall of Civilization info and discussion thread

I really hope Rhye keeps working on this. Rhyes and Fall was my favourite mod in Civ 4. I remember back when Civ 5 came out, I always checked if there was an update to Rhyes and Fall. Ahh, good memories.... lol :p

I think so. If not then he will probably let us know.

Hello everyone.

I'm bringing good and bad news. I think that the important thing is to bring some news and explain, anyway.

I'm sorry for being absent these months: my life has become a kind of roller coaster in a way that I couldn't imagine. In the last year I've been in 10 countries (Japan-Russia-Germany-France-England-Italy-China-Qatar-Egypt-Turkey). A kind of commuter by plane, with a heap of experiences that consumed my time and energy (such as moving to a different apartment several times, experiencing baggage lost, representing Italy in official events abroad, volunteering in tsunami areas, finding myself in the middle of the Egyptian revolution turmoils, getting lost in outskirts of China, and the list could go on and on).

As I couldn't do much alone in this situation, I assigned some tasks to others, but the programmer seems to have been also himself busy with studies and I gradually lost contact. After buying the expansion pack I tried to go on with development by myself in my very little free time left, but I got stuck in several crashes that I couldn't find the reason.
This is, indeed, a bad news. So what can I do?
Here's a good news. I will keep my promise and for now release the empty map, without additional components. I'm sure that someone of you will have the energy to build interesting scenarios upon it. In addition, I will write a document of "Guidelines for making a RFC style mod". Rather than releasing the buggy alpha of RFC, I think it's better to write a document that contains all the details of how it should be implemented, what it should and shouldn't feature, so that the team willing to carry this job won't have to care about design decisions but can focus only on implementation. I will provide the code if necessary. I know that this might be disappointing for most of you, but I can't do much more at this time. I can realistically fit only the position of supervisor.

My intention is to release sometime in the next weeks, taking advantage of the slightly more free time that I've got since I am...guess where?...in the US.

Side note: I arrived in Pittsburgh this morning. I will probably visit New York, Boston, and maybe Philadelphia, Washington and Toronto later on. If any of you is living in one of these cities, let me know. I'd be delighted to find someone who can guide me around.

Cheers,

Rhye

It's good to know you're doing well even if still busy... :D

I do hope a team will have the motivation to take the task, Civ5 needs a mod like your's. Maybe the alpha code would help them to get started, even if buggy.

I'm still too busy myself on my other projects to be able to be one of them, but you know I can help them on some parts ;)

After reading the post, first I was disappointed and angry, but yeah I realize that it's a gigantic task to do it all by oneself, and I'm sure that there's a new team to carry the torch. The mod will be sweet of course.

Sometimes it might be good to have a single 'dictator' doing a big mod, so time wouldn't be put into differences about details or design, but a bigger team will get many cool new ideas a single person can't and has more resources.

Civ V + GaK is already the best game in the series (and my all time fave game) and I belive the next Rhye's will be grand too. :)

Also it seems that Rhye's occupation is some sort of CIA agent / Vatican assasin, that's pretty cool too.

Civ V + GaK is already the best game in the series

You missed the sign from the end of that line: :sarcasm:

Anyway, it's good to hear about Rhye, even if it's mixed news

Unfortunately I don't have any coding experience/skill/knowledge/anything :p

While this is probably one of the last things you want to hear, I would love to supply ideas, and if there is any monotonous XML work I could probably find time to drudge through it for the sake of the project :goodjob:

I am in the same boat as HardRocker, I have a little bit of java, html, lua (I know, its an easy language) experience, so I probably will not be the best help. However if you need help in other things that I can physically do, let me know :).

It is a bummer to hear that, however, maybe this is the beginning of a new era? Maybe the next team who will pick up the mantel and be led by Rhye may create the best Rhyes and Fall game ever. You never know. Let us just pray that a team will pick up the mantel, but knowing how strong the development base is for the Civilization franchise, I have no doubt in my mind that someone will pick it up.

Thank you so much Rhye for everything you have done. We completely understand your schedule, as a university student being pilled with a lot of reading, I understand (however yours is probably a lot worse :p.).

You created the best civ IV mod and spawned an entire community of great modmods, so we really can't ask for more! Good luck with trying to get an RFC for civ V team going. Not a big fan of V, but if RFC makes it work, I might lend a hand. Sticking to civ IV for now.

If, for some strange reason, I was ever asked to design the perfect game, I would probably design something very close to what rhyes and fall is.

The great problem now, is that there are simply going to be too many ideas running around the place and not enough people with coding skills to actually know what is / is not possible/feasible. Unfortunately, without a leader I feel the closest thing we may get to rhyes and fall is that Chinese mod scenario with the UHV component.

I think the "best" course of action, if there is to be some sort of community project, would be to attempt to simplify the project as much as possible...I would be looking at taking out the stability system, finding some other way of collapsing AI civs (Increase strength of rising civs, barbs that focus on the "oldest civs" first, dynamic difficulty)...

Unfortunately, without a leader I feel the closest thing we may get to rhyes and fall is that Chinese mod scenario with the UHV component.
I think the "best" course of action, if there is to be some sort of community project, would be to attempt to simplify the project as much as possible...

I am still available as "leader". Coders familiar with Civ5 environment is what it's needed. As I said, most design decisions have been made, and a project - simplified compared to Civ4 - is defined. The trouble comes when, like in this case, there are some bugs and crashes that we can't fix. That's where I need help.

I am still available as "leader". Coders familiar with Civ5 environment is what it's needed. As I said, most design decisions have been made, and a project - simplified compared to Civ4 - is defined. The trouble comes when, like in this case, there are some bugs and crashes that we can't fix. That's where I need help.

MY advice is to release what you've got as-is. Let us, as a community, build upon it and bring it to fruition.

No
A project like this needs a leader with a strong concept for the mod. Someone exactly like Rhye
Also, why would he just give up the the mod and lend it to someone else?
Sure, we are talking about modding, so technicly Firaxis property
But still... he made everything happen, both in Civ III and Civ IV
Building up the whole thing from scratch
There is a CFC religion called Rhyeism for a reason ;)
Have some respect for him

PS: The Civ IV modmods of RFC are still one of the stongest factors of the CFC modding community (if not the stongest nowadays), with close to 100 posts/day
RFC Europe and RFC DoC already has 40-50 posts/day
That's the influence we are talking about

Well, this really bums me out. Glad to hear that your doing good (somewhat) though Rhye ;).

I don't really foresee anyone building what Rhye did, so it seems it's back to Civ IV.

Have you considered putting it on github or whatever and overseeing it from there?

I don't generally post on these forums but i've played your mod for years on Civ4, it would be a true shame if civ5 never got a proper version of it.

Top Bottom