Rhye's and Fall of Civilization: the Boardgame

Colonies give 0 gold, they just mark a resource that's being traded to you. Construction founds a village.

Now I am confused. How can you ever build a colony? You never start with them, you never build them...

In the moment you trade a resource, you place a colony next to it.

No wonder I was confused. We never used the "trade" feature in the board game. Instead we just conquered one another. :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.it/Eagle-Games-Sid-Meiers-CIVILIZATION-THE-BOARDGAME-Mint_W0QQitemZ110316059248QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110316059248&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A758|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

RFC is for 2-5 players

I just printed the game and we are going play it tomorrow, so I need ask few things:

1. Does Numidians card give you 5 free swordsmen or 5 free infantry units?
2. Does Tricolour card give you 5 free infantry units or 5 free units?
3. Can I revolt on first turn and use tricolour card eventhough I cannot change my goverment or religion?
4. Does deforestation remove forest?
5. Do mountains, villages, cities or capitol get defensive bonus?
6. Does palace/capitol give you anything?
7. If I lose my palace/capitol do I lose anything(stability)?

1. Does Numidians card give you 5 free swordsmen or 5 free infantry units?

5 free up-to-date infantry units

2. Does Tricolour card give you 5 free infantry units or 5 free units?

5 free up-to-date infantry units

3. Can I revolt on first turn and use tricolour card eventhough I cannot change my goverment or religion?

Ha! Sounds like an exploit.
I will add a rule that prevents you to do a revolution if you've got no new government or religion to switch to.
So, the answer is no.

4. Does deforestation remove forest?

It's irrelevant. A settlement is built, the marker can be either removed or left there.

5. Do mountains, villages, cities or capitol get defensive bonus?

No

6. Does palace/capitol give you anything?

No, it's just to mark your starting point, and the place where the spaceship is built

7. If I lose my palace/capitol do I lose anything(stability)?

No, it's the same as the other cities

A couple more things:

1 - please use these religion bonuses instead of the ones you printed:

Christianity: +1 die on attacking non-Christian players
Islam: 1 free infantry unit anytime a city is founded or conquered

and tell me how it goes.

2- if you take some photo, if would be great! I'd post them on the boardgame page of the site

What if the settlement with forest is razed, and later somebody founds a new settlement in the same place?

It seems that Numidians card is always better than Tricolor card. Both give you 5 infantry units and after that France gets Revolution action and Carthage gets any action. And you cannot even use Tricolor at start of the game.

Okay, I will try to write a report from our game tomorrow. We will play with world map, use your rules, civs and other stuff. I also planned to include objective cards (three for each player) which I have adopted from some other mod. I modified them to work with your mod. Here are some examples: build the first wonder of Era -> Stability +2; be the first to trade a resource -> Stability +1 for both and 10 gold, build a village in Middle East -> Oil resource. Tomorrow we will see how well they work together.

So yesterday we played a six player game, 4 boys and 2 girls age 19-27. Game lasted six hours. We used whole map and all resources(-1) and three barbarians. For independent civs we used minor civilization tokens and up turned villages and flagless armies and it worked just fine. For trade rules we used the old ones, in land 1 region and in sea as many regions as you ships could move. We also used the objective cards.

At start of the game the turn order was decided by dice, three objective cards and three civilization cards were dealt to each player. Players chose one of the civs and didn't reveal it yet. Startings locations were chosen and first turn was played before revealing our civs. After that we used civ cards to determine the turn order each turn, which took too much time I think.

Germany started in NA and had hard time fighting against his collapsing cities ( bad luck). Babylon started in SA and soon took control whole continent and had very large income ( he actually run out of size 4 city tokens). France started in Siperia, she tried to expand to NA, but her colony revolted. There was actually three independent villages in NA, 2 german and one France.

Aztecs started in Arabia and teched a lot. Greece, I, started in Egypt and built a lot of wonders and traded with Aztecs until they attack against me with knights and took my three best cities. After that I became they vassal and paid 5 gold every turn to stay alive. I actually managed to rebuild my imperium and had a very good income 130g/t soon with repubic/buddism combo. Stayed the rest of the game in collapsing and taxed almouts every turn and were lucky with stability checks :)

Spain started in Australia and soon expanded to Indonesia, Japan and SE Asia and made a surprize attack to SA against Babylon, he managed to keep one city 2 whole turns. Later Spain made a surprize attack against France and took the capitol for the rest of game. And finally christian Spain attacked against me in Africa with Artilleries and tanks against my musketmen and win game by domination victory. Babylon could have build Spaceship at the same turn, and Aztecs had tech but not enough money. I had enough money to do that but not tech yet.

Revolution action wasn't used very much.
Germany and babylon 0 time.
Spain 1 time, Christianity & Communism.
France 1 time, Christianity and tricolour action.
Astecs 2 time, Judaism & Rebublic and Judaism & Facism.
Greece 2 time, Buddish & Rebublic and Judaism & Fasicm.

Aztecs never used taxation action, they just teched and sold techs and get tribute. Greece used Consolidation action only once. No-one converted to Islam. No-one didn't find barbarians. Four plagues were found, but they didn't do anything. Fission wasn't discovered. Greece lost his capital 5! times. Conquering cities was easy.

Some suggestions:
-Palace should give a defensive bonus.
-Plague should be more effective, perhaps killing half of units in affected are.
-Resources be more useful, 1x = 5g, 2x = 10g. 3x = 20g 4x= 40g
-Maybe it is enough to randomly decide only the starting player
-Plague and barbs could be ignored in first turn.

Is palace counted as a wonder, when taxed?

-Is palace counted as a wonder, when taxed?

No

-Maybe it is enough to randomly decide only the starting player
-Plague and barbs could be ignored in first turn.

I definitely agree

-Plague should be more effective, perhaps killing half of units in affected are.

Only in case the former rule is added

I would like to know:

- How much time did it take to complete the game
- Did you use the old or the new settings for Islam and Christianty
- Had your friends already played the unmodded version
- In that case, how much time did it use to take, and did your friends like the changes
- Did you take any photo?

The game took about six hours. We used the new settings for religions. Old Christianity seemed very useless. Nobody didn't convert to Islam, and it seems that now Christianity is better aggressive religion most of the time. There was two newbies (Germany and France), our old games lasted about 12 hours and they always ended to UN. Everybody liked the changes and the rules were easy to explain. No we didn't take any photo. We will propably play again next week.

Nice job explaining your insights in this boardgame in the latest modcast. Oddly enough I keep thinking it's all a big hoax, because you went public with it on the first of April :)

The new version and reference sheet look great! :goodjob:

I'm still hoping to be able to play this, but I don't have as much time as I used to. :(

One thing I was thinking; the "Computers" technology is nice for the first person to get it, but doesn't do anything if anyone else gets it, right? Maybe the "Computers" technology could make the Research action better for players who have the tech. For example, a Civ with Computers can buy a technology for 20 gold instead of 40, or maybe a Civ with Computers can buy a technology owned by any other player (instead of TWO other players).

I just hate to see a technology like Computers no do anything besides that one time bonus it already gives.

Top Bottom