1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's Earth map (180x180)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - User-created Maps' started by Rhye, Dec 2, 2003.

?

Rate this map

1. 5/5: The best Earth map ever made

56 vote(s)
    32.9%
  2. 4/5: One of the best maps, it still needs improvements

86 vote(s)
    50.6%
  3. 3/5: Nothing particular compared to other Earth maps

15 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. 2/5: The level of details sucks

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. 2/5: The projection sucks

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. 1/5: Please study mapmaking before posting again

9 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Uranium (or plutonium) isn't on my Atlas. Please tell me the exact location.

Most of the old rules are in the new version

Oh, by the way: another experiment:

rhyes of civilization (conquests version) my 180x180 map, 31 civs = 7.5 sec. in 150AD (1/3 of the length of the game)

2. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

What is your computer configuration, mine is 2.4 Ghz, 512 Mo DDRAM 333 Mhz and RADEON 9700 Pro .

3. Xink

Xink Chieftain

With those times that you have quoted Rhye if you had the game set to 1000 turns and you are in modern times would you expect there to be still savings in the time delay between turns or is the saving only related when loading...?

What are the issues in speed that you found with the Conquests version..?

Keep up the good work - most appreciated :)

Morgan

4. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

If you set 1000 turns, loading times between turns will be longer and longer, I don't know how much, but surely with modded rules you would save more than 90%. Compare a parabola that grows faster with another that grows slower.
    I guess on the way to 1000 turns, the 512 cities limit will be reached by a giga map with standard rules.

Conquests seems to be slower: I tried to load my map .bic without any change with civ3.exe and the .biq without any change with conquests. In 1400BC it was 2 sec. vs 4 sec.

my pc is a Pentium IV 1700 MHz - 512MB RAM DDR

5. Iztvan

Iztvan the Terrible

iirc (studied some geology on the univerity ca 10 years ago) it should go here: Locate the southernmost Iron in scandinavia. Go 2 squares south-east. Place uranium (plutonium) in the forest. It shold be one square north-west of the cattle by the river.
    Our geology teacher said that they were the largest uranium deposits in europe, but that the concentration wasn't high enough to be profitable, especially since nuclear power/weapons were/are very unpopular in sweden. But they should be enough for Nuclear power and bombs if neccesary.

31 civs... 7,5 sec... that's fast.

But for 31 civs i think some of the Civs need to be changed. Some parts of the map is ridiculously tight (greece-byzans-ottomans-hittites-Babylon-sumeria-arabs!) while africa and central asia is empty. Perhaps add Ukraina, Tartars/Khazaks/Scytians, Mali and Ethiopea?

6. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I'm not sure of what to do, as 7.5s is a very good result.

I could keep going on with 31 civs in the same time and don't add anything. 31 civs would attract many people.

Or I could (as planned at first) split in ancient modern (the civs you've told would be divided: greece A -byzans A -ottomans M-hittites A -Babylon A -sumeria A -arabs M) and add some civs with already available leaderheads, UU etc. like Ethiopia and Austria. The civs in the same time would be 22 or 23 or 24, as some civs are considered both ancient and modern (China for example)

What do you say?

7. Iztvan

Iztvan the Terrible

31 Civs would be a great attraction!
    Especially if you could play them on a slow computer like mine (700Mhz).
    Perhaps you could do all three versions! :D

But if there is to many versions to choose from, people might get confused...

If existing C3C Civs are replaced with other "new" Civs, some people might get a bit disappointed if their favourite Civ is excluded?

By the way, if you decide to add new Civs, perhaps a south-east Asian Civ is needed, like Khmer/Indonesia/Thailand to fill out the map.

When I played World map last time I noticed this:
    it was PTW on Kal-Els 180x180 with rules similar to your old rules + "curraghs" added and contact trading pushed back as in C3C.
    Contact was still established quickly between europe and east asia with curraghs. I was playing Mali, when, 1000bc, a Polynesian boat showed up! :lol:

So maybe add an immobile barbarian at certain points (Biscaya, Cape of Good Hope, somewhere in south asia) to stop early boats. Call the immobile barbarian boat a storm or fog with appropriate graphics, perhaps?

8. Lachlan

Itzwan your advice is good but i follow the advice of Rhye ...

Please make 2 maps "ancient and modern" with special civs if needed ... I like idea of ethiopia, ukrainia, siam, sudamerindians other than incas ...

Ideas forModern/Ancient : "," = "or"

Inca --> Peru

??? --> Brazil, Argentina

Dahomey --> Mali

Abyssinia --> Ethiopia

Celts --> Ireland

Vikings --> Norvège, Swedden, Denmark

Persia --> Iran

Babylon, Sumer --> Iraq

Arabia --> Saudi Arabia

Maya, Aztecs --> Mexico

Iroquois, Sioux, America --> USA, CSA (permanent war USA - CSA)

Aborigens --> Australia

ETC ... ETC ...

What do you of my ideas Rhye ?

9. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

The problem is that if I add a civ, I want to give it together with its leaderhead and unique unit. And the real problem is the leaderhead. Austria has Firaxis's one, Ethiopia has a leaderhead made by sween32 and the problem will be finding a good UU. But some other mentioned above (Khmer, Ukraine, etc.) have nothing.
    And I'm not good in 3D design of leaderheads.
    Furthermore, the added civs should fill the gap made by the division in ancient/modern: if I have 22 ancient and 20 modern I need only 2 modern. So an Indonesian (which is ancient) wouldn't be the solution.
    There is one more possible solution.
    I've got Pro Evolution Soccer 3, that has got a really good face editor. The problem is to find someone who offers to ANIMATE it.

About barbarians, I was thinking about script.txt. Perhaps it is possible to create a unit with a scripted system. So, there would be certain barbarians in certain regions in certain turns (for example Privateers in the Caribbean in 1600). But I'm not sure that it can be done, so I'm going to ask in a post.

10. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I've finished one of the LM terrains to do (plateau):

Attached Files:

11. CyberChrist

CyberChrist You caught my attention

A few suggestions for tweaking

Regarding the Netherlands:
    1) Make the terrain at X87 Y35, X88 Y36 and X87 Y37 into Marsh
    2) Add Dyes to Forest at X88 Y34
    3) Add Cattle to Grassland at X86 Y38

Regarding Denmark/Sweden (works with Snoopy graphics anyway):
    1) Make the terrain at locs X88 Y28, X88 Y30 and X92 Y28 into Plains
    2) Make the terrain at loc X89 Y31 into Coast
    3) Add Rivers in all 4 corners of terrain at locs X87 Y29 and X90 Y30

Regarding the Ottomans:
    Move Start position to X114 Y58 (perhaps add a resource close by also). Ottoman Turks originally came from further east anyway.

Regarding the Celts:
    Start position wont do. Massilia was a Greek colony and was never under Celtic control (even though the French have a Celtic heritage).

12. Lachlan

Rhye ? You are not dead :( ?

13. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I placed two of the three mashes after checking the Atlas. Thank you, I didn't notice there were marshes in Holland, at first.
    I added dyes but not cattle, as there are already 2 in adiacent tiles.

Edited the area, thank you.

Considered that Byzantines share with Ottomans their starting location, I had to move one of two civs. Even if they come from east, their first capital was Yenisehir and then moved to Bursa and other cities nearby. In Caucasus I don't know any Turkish city, so I think that the best choice is placing where Yenisehir is.

Entremont, Celts starting location is Massilia/Marseilles. And Marseilles position is correct. So, if this is Firaxis mistake, can you tell me a city that could be Celts capital?
    BTW, I found this here: http://www.barca.fsnet.co.uk/masalia.htm
    "along the Rhône , the Celtic tribe of the Saluvii maintained their capital city of Entremont. It was considered a separate city, built as a hill-fort of about 9 acres. The walls of stone are evidence of Greek influence, as the Celts would have normally built walls of logs and tamped soil. The Celtic sanctuary has been located, with it’s enormous volume of skulls. The fort-city was destroyed in 123 BCE, and never rebuilt."

--------------------
    All the changes are into v1.51

14. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I'm not dead :)

But, as I've said, I will not add any civ without animated leaderhead and Unique Unit.
    Otherwise I'd have to make flags or static pictures for each civ, but I'sure not everybody would like that.

Again, I'm not sure of what to do.

Perphaps I could do both the things:
    - A mod with 31 civs and no addictions (except a terrain graphics modpack and 2 new LM terrains (see screenshot above)): only this map + speed-rule changes.
    - And another version with Ethiopia, Austria, ancient/modern division (it would mean 22 civs in the same time and a faster game), and some other addictions (two new wonders, one new tech, one new unit, one new government).

But I don't know which of the two should be called Rhye's of Civilization :)

What do you think?

15. CyberChrist

Heh heh, I only suggested that since one of the marshes I suggested would be on top of one of the existing cattle grasslands.

Just seem a little crowded with 3 civs starting out within 5 squares of each other. Perhaps X105 Y51 would be a possibility then - Khanate of Crimea was under Ottoman control in the late 1400's.

My mistake there, I never knew that Entremont was once located near Marseilles. I only ever think of Massilia/Marseilles whenever I see a city at that location - and that was never a Celtic city as the link you provided also shows ;)

The DYP developers had a good bet for a Celtic capitol though - Pyrene, with a location in the area near X92 Y48.

16. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

In Austria? I won't do that anyway (as I'll add Austria as a civ)

17. CyberChrist

Heh heh, just got the impression you were trying to make the world kind of historical, but then America is also on the map as a nation. Nevermind, I will just have to mod map with my own preferences :D

18. Lachlan

Rhye ? What you doing actually ?
    Statics leaders in a first time are ok ....

But if you can't don't make it !

What are LM terrans ???

Make your mod plz, because i'm tired of a slow game (Civ3 C3C) on my computer ....

19. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Above in this page there's a screenshot of a LM terrain. It is an added terrain: in this case I added plateau and used modified grahics of hills. But with the same flags of mountains (no cities ecc.)
    The other LM terrain I added is "Forest Hill": hills covered by pine trees.

The mod will be ready....I hope before new year. I have an exam tomorrow, I should work faster after that.
    But if you want, you can playtest it: this would save much time. I need a detailed report of how the game develops (in which year civs begin entering new age, in which year America is discovered, what is american civs tech level in 1500, which civs are eliminated and which civs tend to win) and I want some savegames (because I want to test in my computer the loading time)

20. Lachlan

i'm ready to beta-test it :)

Please make list of changes and upload it and indicate me the link to download it ...