1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's Earth map (180x180)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - User-created Maps' started by Rhye, Dec 2, 2003.

?

Rate this map

1. 5/5: The best Earth map ever made

56 vote(s)
    32.9%
  2. 4/5: One of the best maps, it still needs improvements

86 vote(s)
    50.6%
  3. 3/5: Nothing particular compared to other Earth maps

15 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. 2/5: The level of details sucks

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. 2/5: The projection sucks

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. 1/5: Please study mapmaking before posting again

9 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

For boats it's ok but for planes you must find the separation beetwen planes' moves and road moves ...

2. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

This is a pure map. These suggestions are useful for mods.
    Anyway, I have never tried to do that.

That's because nowadays there's tobacco there, as it is shown on the atlas. I know that it was in America, but I didn't know what to do with Asia, Africa etc. (I don't know if it was already there, does anybody know?)
    I made a different choice with horses, which I haven't put in America. But that is a strategic resource.
    Well, as tobacco is only a bonus resource: it's not really important. But if you give me more useful info about tobacco in the world before 1500, I could correct it.

3. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

Sorry, i would post in your other thread :(

I will repeat in your mod thread ...

Sorry for my confusion

4. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Wow somebody voted 1/5! I wonder what are the reasons

5. FrenchElvisl

FrenchElvisl Chieftain

Hi! I just got conquests, and I loved this map in PtW so I went ahead and got the biq. Just curious, are volcanoes in the right spots? The one right by Rome seems alittle out of place.

Also, on a side note, how often do these things erupt?

6. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

The one near Rome is the Vesuvio!!! Have you ever heard of what happened to Pompeii???
    The volcanos and the marshes ARE in the right spots ;)

The eruption period of time can be adjusted in the editor

7. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

8. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

I dunno if anyone will find this useful, but I did so I'll post it here:

I finally figured out out how to use Dr Alimentado's MapTweaker utility, so I started cropping world maps into smaller, regional chunks. The first is the area between Iceland to the Indus valley from Rhye's 180x180 Earth map (v.1.51). This makes the map 68x102. Here's a screenshot:

And here's the link: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/Rhye::s_from_Indus_to_Iceland.zip

I find this sort of "Europe & Middle-East" map the best if you want to play with both Medieval (Europe & Mediterannean) and Ancient (the Near East) civs. If you wanted, you could even stick the Zulus in down in Nubia there... There are other maps that cover this area (artemisarrow's comes to mind), but most are way too big for me and my little computer. Thence my joy at finally figuring out how to use this utility! (I was about 1/3 finished manually cropping this area of Kal-El's world map before I lost "interest.")

9. OzzyKP

OzzyKP Chieftain

Good mod, excellent mod. Map....eh. Not so hot.

Europe is way oversized.
    Waay too many resources takes out the fun of actually having to compete for them and trade for them, when everyone has everything.
    North/South America (and much of the rest) look distorted.
    Too much is unhospitable. The idea is good, but maybe went too far with it.
    Pacific ocean.... oh wait, what Pacific ocean? Its like 6 tiles across or something. This is the biggest ocean in the world, I can damn near jump between Japan and Hawaii and Hawaii and California with a Galley.

Those are the main complaints. Great mod, but use one of TET's maps perhaps.

edit: oh, one more thing. I know you seem to have a preference for keeping in all the stock civs, but sometimes its just not practical. There really is no room for the Netherlands at its start, and using the Hungarians instead of Austrians would bump the start out east just a tad to give them more breathing room. Having the Byzantines AND Ottomans in Turkey is a really bad idea. Plus having the Babylonians just south of there... not a good idea. At the very least, put the Ottomans/Turks in central Asia (where the Turks historically were). Add the Mali and a civ in SE Asia (Khmers/Cambodians).

So my simple advice on this front:
    Move Ottomans to Central Asia
    Remove Dutch, make Mali in W. Africa
    Remove either Byzantines or Portugese and make them Khmers
    Make Austrians the Hungarians (I've seen leaderheads for Hungarians around)

(once again, good mod)

10. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

- This is NOT a mod. This is a map, and so it must contain standard rules.
    If you're looking for a mod, try Rhye's of Civilization.

- What map are you talking about? As it is an Earth map, the standard resources are in their right location, as the atlas shows. Every civ is far from having all the resources.

- You say everything is distorted, but it is because of the PROJECTION. Well, Miller's projection (the one you prefer, I guess) isn't the only one. Well, in fact, it isn't the best, for sure. Have a look at Robinson's projection, and compare it with this map.

I have replied here, too, more in detail:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=106756

11. Shevchenko

Shevchenko Forza Rossonera

This map is awesome!! Great Work.

12. thefusilier

thefusilier Chieftain

Great map, its the one I use for all my games. I like how you modded Europe so it can stand a chance. The small Pacific Ocean is the only thing I kinda didnt like but the rest of the map makes it just great.