Rhye's of Civilization mod files

Thanks, dojoboy. I want to update Mac Mod Installation Solutions to include these new links. If you have any installation instructions they would be welcome. Do you know if it's still necessary to add the Art, Text, and PTW folders to avoid load/path errors when installing this version of Rhye's?

The instructions you've added, Blue Monkey, let the game launch. Thanks!

But I have run into another messed up file path:

"Art\Units\..\..\..\..\Conquests\Rise of Rome\Art\Units\Legionary\Legionary_build_fort.flc"

I've played around with it, but I can't find a solution. I've no idea what the file paths look like on the PC.

EDIT: Okay, I played around with it some more, and I found a solution that got me past that unexpected exit. I'm not sure how to format my solution; I hope the following makes sense:

1. Go to Civ III Complete \ Conquests Game Data \ Conquests \ Rise of Rome \ Art \ Units \ Legionary.
2. Duplicate the Legionary folder.
3. Go into Civ III Complete \ Play the World Game Data.
4. Inside the Play the World Game Data folder, create the following structure of folders: Conquests \ Rise of Rome \ Art \ Units.
5. Place the new Legionary folder (renamed "Legionary," of course) inside the new Units folder.

EDIT 2: A similar error: "Art\Units\..\..\..\..\Conquests\Age of Discovery\Art\Units\Colonist\Colonist_default.flc".

And a similar solution gets past it:

1. Go to Civ III Complete \ Conquests Game Data \ Conquests \ Age of Discovery \ Art \ Units \ Colonist.
2. Duplicate the Colonist folder.
3. Go into Civ III Complete \ Play the World Game Data \ Conquests.
4. Inside the Conquests folder, create the following structure of folders: Age of Discovery \ Art \ Units.
5. Place the new Colonist folder (renamed "Colonist," of course) inside the new Units folder.

Mxzs said:
But I have run into another messed up file path:

"Art\Units\..\..\..\..\Conquests\Rise of Rome\Art\Units\Legionary\Legionary_build_fort.flc"

... A similar error: "Art\Units\..\..\..\..\Conquests\Age of Discovery\Art\Units\Colonist\Colonist_default.flc".
You didn't say which Mods you are playing. From the paths it looks like two of the Conquests that come with C3C. Is that right? Has anyone else encountered these faults, or could it be a faulty installation of the game itself?

I was playing Rhye's of Civilization, the v2.69 biq. (Um ... that's what this thread is about, right?)

I just now installed a new copy of C3C onto my hard drive to see if I could replicate the errors I reported.

When I added Rhye's of Civilization and tried opening a game, I got the same errors that you reported. I then made the fix that you recommended to this new copy. (I tried it first without your recommended fix so that I was sure I was testing the new copy of the game.) The game launched with your fix, but then it hit the Legionary problem I reported and exited.

I am trying to run RoC on v1.22 of C3C. Could that be a problem?

I am trying to run RoC on v1.22 of C3C. Could that be a problem?

v1.22 of C3C is all there is for the Mac. There should be a new patch version coming soon, but that's not here yet. When it arrives it will still be version 1.22 of C3C, as it will still be file and function-compatible with that Windows version, but it will have a new Mac version build number.

Mxzs said:
When I added Rhye's of Civilization and tried opening a game, I got the same errors that you reported. I then made the fix that you recommended to this new copy. (I tried it first without your recommended fix so that I was sure I was testing the new copy of the game.) The game launched with your fix, but then it hit the Legionary problem I reported and exited.
Ok, thanks. I was double checking because I had not encountered those errors, and the legionary at least should have come up early in the game. By the way, were you playing Rome? I'll add your solution to the Mod Solutions page.

The Legionary error occurred at 670BC. The Colonist error occurred quite a few turns later.

I was playing Egypt, but Rome was also in play.

hey - thanks very much to everyone for help getting Rhye's up and running.

but installation is, er, a tad confusing :crazyeye:

Trying to start up a RoCX v.123 game, i got the following CTD right after I selected to play "Rome":

Load Error
File Not Found
"Art\Units\..\..\..\..\..\Art\Units\settler\settDefault.flc"
The game will now exit.

here's what i had done. i downloaded the 4 .zip files for RoC (v269) and the 5 .zips for RoCX (v123). i then extracted the files and compiled them into a master directory for each of RoC and RoCX. in other words, with the 4 .zips for v.269, i made Part 1 the master directory and extracted the files from Parts 2-4 and placed them appropriate folders for Part 1. Did the same for RoCX -- Note that w/ RoCX, it is Part 5 of the download, *not* Part 1, that is the master directory containing the .biq doc's. this made for a bit of confusion at first. Word of advice: be careful about keeping track of the order of the d/ls for both RoC and RoCX -- the decompressed folder names that appear on your desktop are confusing, and in fact it's probably best to rename them "RoC Part 1," "RoC Part 2," etc.

i then put the "Rhye's of Civilization" and "Rhye's of Civilization X" master directories, plus the .biqs, in the Conquests Game Data / Scenarios folder. didn't make any other tweaks. note i'm playing C3C.

advice?

If the lastest from Aspyr is to be believed, we ought to get the new patch in another week. Is it really worth doing all this if the issues with file paths are going to be resolved in that patch?

Of course, the patch may be delayed another few weeks/months, and/or the patch may still not solve all the mod problems :rolleyes:.

AlanH said:
If the lastest from Aspyr is to be believed, we ought to get the new patch in another week. Is it really worth doing all this if the issues with file paths are going to be resolved in that patch?

Of course, the patch may be delayed another few weeks/months, and/or the patch may still not solve all the mod problems :rolleyes:.

A rueful LOL. In the meantime, so sandman06 can get into the joy that is RoC:

Blue Monkey's Installation Solution (here) describes some additional steps that you need to take when installing RoC. Basically, you need to copy some folders that are currently in the Play the World and CivIII Game Data folders and place those copies in other locations. As I recall, this will correct the above error (and probably a bunch of others). See the linked post for details on what you need to do.

sandman06 said:
here's what i had done. i downloaded the 4 .zip files for RoC (v269) and the 5 .zips for RoCX (v123). i then extracted the files and compiled them into a master directory for each of RoC and RoCX. in other words, with the 4 .zips for v.269, i made Part 1 the master directory and extracted the files from Parts 2-4 and placed them appropriate folders for Part 1. Did the same for RoCX -- Note that w/ RoCX, it is Part 5 of the download, *not* Part 1, that is the master directory containing the .biq doc's. this made for a bit of confusion at first. Word of advice: be careful about keeping track of the order of the d/ls for both RoC and RoCX -- the decompressed folder names that appear on your desktop are confusing, and in fact it's probably best to rename them "RoC Part 1," "RoC Part 2," etc.

Good advice. I also had a heck of a time figuring out who the folders were to be arranged. It would probably be worth adding a note to the Installation Solution post for RoC.

As Mxzs points out the paths/subfolder sequence is critical. If the order varies from what the Mod expects it will crash. The Rhye's files go in the paths: ...Conquests Game Data\Scenarios this is where the BIQs go \Rhye's of Civilization\Art\... and ...Conquests Game Data\Scenarios\Rhye's of Civilization\Text\... and ...Conquests Game Data\Scenarios\Rhye's of Civilization X\Art\... and ...Conquests Game Data\Scenarios\Rhye's of Civilization X\Text\...

Another file path error:

"Art\Units\..\..\..\..\Conquests\Napoleonic Europe\Art\Units\Musketman\NapoleonicInfantryDefault.flc"

Solution:

1. Go to Civ III Complete\Conquests Game Data\Conquests\Napoleonic Europe\Art\Units\Musketman.
2. Duplicate the Musketman folder.
3. Go into Civ III Complete\Play the World Game Data\Conquests.
4. Inside that Conquests folder, create the following structure of folders: Napoleonic Europe\Art\Units.
5. Place the new Musketman folder inside the new Units folder.

This error occured while playing RoC Expanded v1.23 RANDOM MAP.biq.

Another file path error:

"Art\Units\..\..\..\..\Conquests\WWII in the Pacific\Art\Units\MG BtIn\AmericanHMGAttackAGun.wav"

Solution:

1. Go to Civ III Complete\Conquests Game Data\Conquests\WWII in the Pacific\Art\Units\MG BtIn.
2. Duplicate the MG BtIn folder.
4. Inside that Conquests folder, create the following structure of folders: WWII in the Pacific\Art\Units.
5. Place the new MG BtIn folder inside the new Units folder.

(1) Unzip all 9 RoC folders, better yet, do them one at a time. After they're unzipped, they're not numbered in any clear sequence, IMHO.

(2) Place the RoC folder, from the first zipped files, in the C3C Conquests folder located in the Conquests Game Data Folder. Place the files from all the other zipped folders into this RoC folder. Some files go into folders in the RoC folder while other items are simply placed in the Roc folder. As you go along from zipped folder to zipped folder, it becomes clear. Also, sometimes you'll be asked if you want to copy over existing files, do so as long as you're copying over something from an earlier RoC zipped folder.

(2) Place the .biq maps you find as you unzip the 9 folders in the same C3C Conquests folder. I believe there are three total .biq maps.

I started up a game as Austria and played several turns with no issues. Do note that the load time takes longer than a normal game.

And another file path error:

"Art\Units\..\..\..\..\Conquests\Napoleonic Europe\Art\Units\Ship_of_the_Line\Ship_of_the_Line_Default.flc"

Solution:

1. Go to Civ III Complete\Conquests Game Data\Conquests\Napoleonic Europe\Art\Units\Ship_of_the_Line.
2. Duplicate the Ship_of_the_Line folder.
4. Inside that Conquests folder, create the following structure of folders: Napoleonic Europe\Art\Units.
5. Place the new Ship_of_the_Line folder inside the new Units folder.

Okay, it's pretty obvious by now that RoC is going to require the duplication of most (and maybe all) of the Art/Units folders inside the scenario folders in the Conquests Game Data/Conquests folder. Instead of noting each of these individual errors as they crop up, perhaps that should just be a general note. Something along the lines of:

1. Go to Civ III Complete\Conquests Game Data\Conquests.
2. Duplicate the Conquests folder.
3. Go into Civ III Complete\Play the World Game Data.
4. Insert the duplcate Conquests folder inside the Play the World Game Data folder.
5. If disc space is an issue, inside the Play the World Game Data\Conquests folder (a) delete all .biqs; (b) inside each scenario folder (e.g., "Napoleonic Europe") delete all Text folders; (c) inside each Art folder, delete all folders except the Units folder.

Mxzs said:
Instead of noting each of these individual errors as they crop up, perhaps ... Something along the lines of...
When you're happy with a solution that let's you play all the way through a Rhye's based game, I'll post it in the general solutions thread.

I think the "general solution" I described will cover most of the remaining issues. In the meantime, though, here's another error:

“art\leaderheads\NP_SHAP.pcx”

Solution
1. Go to Rhye’s of Civilization\art\Flics.
2. Duplicate NP_SHAP.pcx.
3. Put duplicate in Rhye’s of Civilization\art\Leaderheads

This seems to be a RoC problem, not a Mac-specific issue.

As AlanH mentioned earlier, this work will not be necessary with the upcooming patch from Aspyr. In the meantime, if you're going to play RoC, then make the adjustments.

Top Bottom