1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's of Europe Civ Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by Squirrelloid, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Cornelio

Cornelio Chieftain

I played Bulgaria and after 2 turns I had conquered Constantinople. 1 more turn and the Byzantine empire collapsed. I got the 2nd UHV requirement really fast. All the Byzantine cities (which became independent after it collapsed) had only 1 archer and were really easy to capture because I started with a huge amount of Bulgarian horse archers.
    The 3th UHV requirement (Build 8 Orthodox Monasteries and 2 Orthodox Cathedrals and 8 Libraries by 1600AD.) didn't work. I am sure I had build everything. Double-double checked it, but it didn't get acknowledged.

I have to admit I played Viceroy, but I had a really stable empire. One thing I thought was strange was that I only got 2 stars for cities even though I had good cities. All my 8 cities had at least military units, a courthouse, temple and monastery. Overall my stability was switching between shaky and stable and got once to unstable after I switched government when I was shaky.
    Expansion got to 4 stars at the beginning because of all the conquests, but went down to 2 after a long while. I hadn't build or conquered since then.

Some small things:
    -Portuguese is called Prtuguese, a little typo.
    -Winged Hussar hasn't noted that it is a UU for Poland nor what unit it should replace in the civilopedia.
    -Venice and Genoa start at war with Rome and get killed immediately. I don't know if they supposed to be at war, but should survive when they got more advanced units/techs or it is something that shouldn't be. Just thought I should note.

2. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

The amount of Konniks is for test purposes only. For the third UHV, I tested it once, but something could have been messed up afterwards (by me), could you send a savegame.

I think I know what causes the city stability problem, I will see if I can fix it.

I will fix the typo. The UU are sedna's department. For some reason everyone starts at war with the independents, I am not sure why. I need to check that.

3. Cornelio

Cornelio Chieftain

Nice!

I have some questions regarding the Byzantine.

Why are they called Byzantines? Two quotes of the wiki page:
    "The term "Byzantine Empire" is an invention of historians and was never used during the Empire's lifetime. " "It was referred to by its inhabitants and neighbouring nations simply as the Roman Empire (in Greek Βασιλεία Ῥωμαίων, Basileia Rhōmaiōn), the Empire of the Romans or Romania (Ῥωμανία, Rhōmaniā)."

Is there going to be something that simulates the Roman retake of Rome at around 600 AD?

@3Miro:
    Here's the safe:

Attached Files:

4. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

I too would like you to stay involved in this project. I've not always agreed with you on other threads but your contibutions are always intelligent and informative. Plus who else is going to join me in pushing the Muslim civs? And I could never harm sedna who remains a gentleman as always. I'm rooting for Cordoba as one day it will "own" this mod. Like you favour the Romans. Like 3Miro favours Bulgaria? Like Cornelio favours the Dutch? Like sedna favours the (who knows?) Like st. lucifer favours umm....(the Texans?). The great thing about this project now is we've got input from a much wider base than before, with more diverse skills and a wider cultural perpective.:)

@sedna. I understand your decision. Though I wish the garden could be as powerful as the watermill (Soria) which was supposed to be a productive building. (Maybe +1 food and +1 hammer instead of health and happiness?).

@ 3Miro. Thanks for all the Konnicks and Ghazis. What about Cordoba though? Seriously, I think one of the factors affecting stability other than expansion, is that most civs don't start with any religion and thus can't build any religious buildings. So tomorrow I'm going to run a comparative test on Spain which tends to collapse early on even with only 2 cities. First without religion and then with Catholicism. Lets see if that makes a difference.
    BTW It is Venetian not Venecian.

5. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Bulgarian bug found and fixed. Working on stability.

6. st.lucifer

st.lucifer King

I'm doing my level best not to favor anyone, least of all my adopted state. Favoring the Texans is like favoring the Mongols.

I am in favor of starting many civs with missionaries. Cordoba, Spain, and Portugal pretty much demand it - if Portugal started out with a missionary (or with a pre-existing, Catholic Lisboa?), would they always vassalize every turn?

7. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

St. Lucifer, do you mean vassalize on the first turn. If it is a problem, we may have to work on it. Arabia currently often vassalizes to the Byzantines. Maybe if we make it so that nations can only vassalize if they share religion?

Starting Units have not been discussed anyway.

@Cornelio: what else would you call the Byzantines, Roman or East Roman Empire would be controversial, there was a very long tread on the topic some time ago. Greek Empire is inaccurate since some emperors were Armenian. What else is left?

Bulgarian bug was due to the discrepancy of Consts.py and the new XML files. Fixed.

Portugal typo. Fixed.

Stability expansion bug is due to the choice of Normal areas. Spanish and Cordoban areas overlap, so do Frankish and Burgundians. Nations get stability penalty for foreign cities in their Normal area of expansion. That is now changed to core areas only. Should fix the issue for now. Another approach would be to make the first tree-four foreign cities not count. Alternatively: jessiecat you should have been more aggressive in the Conquista.

Looking into the Economy stability now.

EDIT: expansion stability could also be handled by reducing the penalty for foreign cities. Now it is 7 per city.

8. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

A quick report on my little Spanish experiment. Having a religion at the start or not doesn't really make much difference. Though I still think civs should start with a missionary so they can found a state religion. The problem with stability starts with building a 3rd. city. and soon after you build a 4th. one you collapse. Reducing the favoured area to core only will help. But I think exempting the first 4 cities from any penalty whatsoever would be the way to go.

9. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

oh no, don't get me started on the Eastern Roman Empire :D
    I'm gonna test this weekend, which civs are in need to be tested ? Russians ?

10. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Try Venice and Genoa first. That way you won't have to travel too far from home this weekend.:lol:

11. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

I started a game as Venice, but didn't play much since I was destroyed. These are a few observations:
    - for some reason, I started at war with Rome, which destroyed me. Indipendent units could walk in the "jungle".
    - Byzantium was huge when I started... all other civs were 2 cities, except Burgundy which expanded all the way to the Flanders (very good job there :D ). Byz. was at least 10 cities...
    - Merchant Republic has really strong boni/mali. Perhaps both should be toned down a bit... for example ditch the production bonus and +1 cost per military unit or -50% military production. Venice was involved in really a lot of wars.
    - I'd give Venice a UP that deals with mercenaries, like Carthage in RFC, if no other civs has it already.
    - Should Venice start with a galley ? ;)
    - The Portuguese are mispelled Prtuguese; Muscowans doesn't sound right... should be either Muscowites or Muscowyans; Venecia is spanish, should be The Venetians, Venezia, Venetian.

12. Hitti-Litti

Hitti-Litti Deity

I think Muscovites is the real term, Moscow is Moskva in Russian so Muscovites is better than Muscowites.

13. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

@onedreamer: thanks for the venetian clarification. That would be fixed (for the purpose of the code the name would stay as venecia since it is too much trouble to change it, but on the screen only Venezia would appear.

for Moscow: in Bulgarian it is Moscovtsi, but I would rather ask for a Russian to give his word on what is appropriate.

Carthaginian UP is already reserved for Genoa (IIRK)

I will look at the independents and the war.

Starting units and straiting techs have not been discussed yet, so use the WB to add something useful.

For the Polish UP: why attach to a civic and thus restricting the player? I see the point that liberty doesn't make sense if running Religious Law + Theocracy, but what is wrong with Republic or Merchant Republic. Why don't we make the UP: +10% science + 1 happiness unless running an oppressive civic (opressive being Religious and Feudal Law, Theocracy and Absolute Monarchy).

EDIT: I tweaked some stability parameters for the cities, expansion and economy.

EDIT2: Next test version is out.

14. civmademepoor

civmademepoor Chieftain

I missed something, where can I find the test versions to play?

15. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

RFCE Files thread. First post. Nov.7 test version.

16. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

Test report. Nov.7 version. Played as Cordoba. 8 cities, running Bureaucracy, Feudal Labor, Organized Religion, Vassalage with 2 vassals. Collapsed 1242AD due to 1 star expansion, 2 star economy. Arabs collapsed before 1200. Byzantines still much too powerful. Even expanding in N. Africa and Italy. Definitely need those modifiers.

17. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

I have not worked on the Byzantine problem yet, but stability should have been much better this time. I will test it myself and see what is happening.

18. Cornelio

Cornelio Chieftain

When I tried to download the nov 7 update, it said it supported 10 downloads only and I was too late.

Am I finished here?

I could do the Austrian and Dutch settler maps. Is that all right?

19. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

I will try to fix the 10 downloads thing. Also, Cornelio, do you mean city name maps?

Edit: You should be able to download the zip now.

20. Cornelio

Cornelio Chieftain

Yes I did. I found the CityNameManeger.py file and I think I can do it. Is there some sort of utility program for this?

I could also do the renameCities part for these civs (and others if you like).