1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's of the Prince

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by randomScrubX, Feb 7, 2007.

1. bobalot

bobalot Chieftain

Doesn't work. It gives the error message:

ERROR READING FILE

Missing Entry in "Text\PediaIcons": ICON_BLDG_Statue_Of_Liberty

The game will now exit.

My version is up to date at v1.22 and it is a fairly fresh clean install (a week or so). I have tried another mod and it seems to work.

EDIT: I should have read what you posted earlier, my mistake. I have tried you said, I found another pediaIcons file and tried to use that copy in this mods directory structure and it doesn't seem to work. All the "original" scenarios don't seem to have that line about the statue of liberty. Any Ideas?

2. bobalot

bobalot Chieftain

Doesn't work. It gives the error message:

ERROR READING FILE

Missing Entry in "Text\PediaIcons": ICON_BLDG_Statue_Of_Liberty

The game will now exit.

My version is up to date at v1.22 and it is a fairly fresh clean install (a week or so). I have tried another mod and it seems to work.

EDIT: I should have read what you posted earlier, my mistake. I have tried you said, I found another pediaIcons file and tried to use that copy in this mods directory structure and it doesn't seem to work. All the "original" scenarios don't seem to have that line about the statue of liberty. Any Ideas?

ANOTHER EDIT: I simply tried putting in the line there about the statue of liberty I found in the PediaIcons.txt file from another mod but when I run it, it says there is a missing entry about the effiel tower.

3. bobalot

bobalot Chieftain

Bloody Hell, I didn't know the edit button made a new post each time. =/ I didn't mean to spam on purpose.
    Is there a way to get rid of them?

4. bd41094

bd41094 Chieftain

Did you hit submit a bunch of times or what because hitting edit doesn't create a new post.

5. bobalot

bobalot Chieftain

I did click edit, then made my changes. Must have stuffed up somehow.

6. randomScrubX

randomScrubX Chieftain

Hi every body :D ,

It's been a while since I last checked my email. I've been pretty busy working on my various artistic projects. One of my masterpiece paintings is almost done. It's taken months so far, holy crap! :crazyeye: But I am almost done, so, yay me!

I would like to say thank you to everyone for your generous comments. I shall try to respond to them now.

aotearoa wrote;

>Few questions:
    >The extra units cost 10 gold. Was this intended ? Not that I don't like it, just asking
    >The diffent types of pollution are really anoying - I usually hate pollution and change the factories so they don't produce it...and now...
    >The timeline is different. I'm in 2200 and only at the beginning of 4th era.

Extra units cost 10 gold each (for everything except for the internationalist government if my memory serves me right) to ensure that people don't build up insanely vast armies and a) create the mother of all stand offs and b) crush any chance for the other victory types (eg. cultural). Also, in reality, administration costs are exponential due to command and control issues.

As to pollution, tfb :p you just have to get used to it. I find it puts the reins on people just at the point when production explodes. It keeps you from getting bogged down in micromanagement.

The timeline is indeed different. I shall answer your question,,, with another question. If you are in 2200 that must mean that the game must almost be over. If you are at the beginning of the 4th era, how the hell are you still alive in the unholy onslaught of angels and attack helicopters? :confused:

bd41094's asks;

>Oh I forgot to ask why Early Cloning comes after advanced Cloning? Doesn't make much sense to me

Early cloning most definitely does not come after advanced cloning as it requires Early Cloning (and nanotechnology I believe). You should try to get that tech earlier as Breeding Program is sick! :D

I shall divide up SWalker's questions/comments as his post is very large.

>1: Several computer civs had atomic bombs before the Manhatten Project
    >was built. I never saw one used, but they were on the spy reports.

Yes. I did that as I made the Manhattan Project a nuke spawner. Also, historically if you do some research you will find that the Japanese were testing nukes around the end of World War 2 (should've just fired them, dumbasses) and they didn't need the go-ahead of the Manhattan Project. On to point 2.

>2: The mod has no no-resource units after archers etc. This meant that
    >isolated cities could only build archers/spearmen/etc. At one point a German
    >city that I controlled reverted to the Germans, since it was inside my civ it
    >had no access to iron and recived an archer as a defended. The Germans
    >conscripted an extra archer, but obviously my attack helicopters had no
    >trouble retaking it. More advanced no-resource units would aviod this (eg
    >modern milita)

You can't build guns and bullets without metal. In real life, when a city gets cut off from all resources they have trouble building modern units too. Now there is a reason to use complex military tactics as you can really screw your opponent, just like in real life.

>3: The years seemed to pass very quickly. Up until the middle ages this just
    >made me feel backwards, but after that it was just too far out.

>In my game (monarch level) I started researching satalite communication on
    >turn 193 at 2122ad and would finish all research (with no trading/stealing) on
    >turn 243. It felt like it should have been about 2000ad, but 2000ad was >turn 117. Even with my slow pace (=in tech to 4 or 5 other civs) I was not
    >60 turns too slow. The year rate needs revising.

I designed this game to be very fast paced so people could blitz through games online (and in single player). When I played it I found that I hit the correct ages (WW2 around the 1940's). You have to trade in this game until you get a solid lead (and I specifically bottlenecked tech at certain points to ensure that techs are discovered in the right time frame) or you end up getting splattered. Some input from other people in this regards would be deeply appreciated.

>4: Upgrade cost - the computer does not seem to upgrade its units, so the
    >cheap UG cost gives a big advantage to the human player. (Also due to their
    >slow speed to computer seems to be left with many Early Tanks after their
    >other offencive units have been destroyed, even long after they are
    >obsolete.)

I wanted to make sure that constantly building units wasn't a lost cause (eg. no point building a bunch of units if they're going to become obsolete before you can use them). That's why every unit has a complete upgrade chain. If someone could find a way to make the PC upgrade their units it would be deeply appreciated.

>5: Bombardment - I noticed a few odd things when so many modern units
    >had bombardment or defensive bombardment. Does offensive bombardment
    >represent integrated artillery in units.

Yes. In some cases (spy chain units) it represents sneaking into the opposing units camp (or city, as the case may be) and secretly trashing facilities and assassinating key command personnel.

>5a: Sinking submarines with Guerillas and Tanks. It works too well.

As it should. If you park a submarine off the coast expect tanks to blast you and agents to row up under cover of darkness and plant explosives on your hull. :D

>5b: Modern Armour with a bombardment range of 2 leads to them being a
    >unit that feels abusive to use (as you know the compter won't use them the
    >same way). They have better defence overall than mechanised infantry (hp
    >bonus), they can be sent foward to bombard a target - then back to guard
    >cities on the same turn (the computer won't even use them to bombard),
    >and the bombard range of 2 just feels wrong (even if it does represent
    >integrated artillery in units).

Maybe I didn't price them right. My goal was to set up a situation where you could either pump out 3 infantry or 1 tank (in that case it would balance out as you could keep pumping out more infantry than he could kill then counter attack). BTW, tanks are artillery (huge cannon).

>5c: There are a number of units with defensive bombard and a RoF > 1, this
    >is redundant as defensive bombard with RoF > 1 has an effective RoF of 1.

I thought it worked :confused: (did when I checked) if so, my bad. :p

>5d: since artillery units require no upkeep, have no population cost, have
    >lethal land and sea bombardment, and have >1 move, it was highly
    >attractive to build (for the human player, computer built them at normal
    >rate).

Ah yes, but 3 tanks beat 3 artillery every time. :D But seriously, my theory is that since units are so cheap and so fast, if you waste time building a load of artillery then you will get crushed by people who spend time building a more balanced mix of units. In multiplayer games against humans you might notice this (or not :confused: ).

>5e: Lethal bombardment - since all ragned bombardment is lethal land and
    >sea bombardment, it is highly attractive to use (for the human player, the
    >computer player only bombards with ships / artillery). Even tanks can be
    >used to sink battleships that are at sea. If bombardment was not lethal, the
    >player would at least need to risk some of their population points finishing off
    >the enemy.

It takes quite a few shots to kill one unit, and in that time you can just kill it with one attack.

>I would sugest removing offensive bombard from all units except artillery (to
    >make it fair), and reducing the number of modern units with defensive
    >bombard to mark the difference between those with/without.

If enough requests come in I might do this.

>6: A number of the units have bad pallets. This mainly seems to be the ones
    >with combined animations. I did not not the problems as I played (I should
    >have) but the problems included
    >- Red Shadows
    >- Units whose animations transparent sections (the rest of the square) obscured the units they were fighting
    >- other pallet mismatches

Ask someone else, I just cut and pasted. :D (little help?)

7: (minor problem) In the espionage screen there was a black box instead of the Canadian leaders face.

>8: Civilopedia - a number of entries refered to units costing mutliple pop
    >points in the text, but the units actually cost only one pop point.

I don't think so. I found that units that required numerous pop points did require those points. Check the number in the stats box to get the exact number.

>All in all it was an enjoyable game - none of the problems interfered with the
    >interesting core features of the mod.

Thanks! :D

bobalot asks;

>Doesn't work. It gives the error message:
    >
    >ERROR READING FILE
    >
    >Missing Entry in "Text\PediaIcons": ICON_BLDG_Statue_Of_Liberty
    >
    >The game will now exit.

I shall fix it later. So sorry. Check the forums (here) and see if you can find the "Statue of Liberty" files and paste them in while you wait.

On a final note, is anyone (or can they think of someone) interested in the collaboration I mentioned earlier?

7. SWalker

SWalker Chieftain

The major point I was making was not that good units should be able to be built in that situation. It was that the civ can only build an inappropriate unit in that situation. It seems to me that in modern times it would be easier to equip some sort of urban militia with private weapons than to equip them as archers, giving a unit somewhat more effective than fusiliers (A4/D6). As for being cut off from resources, a modern city of several hundred thousand people (as the city that reverted to the Germans was) may not have enough iron to build a serious mechanised force, but in the city I live in (In a country with relativly strict gun control), I know that you could find more already made guns (in the hands of hunters/gun shops/farmers/police/etc) than you could ever find bows. Remember in Civ 1 when the milita unit pic was waving something in its hands; in anchient times you might guess it was a spear, but in modern times you would guess it was a rifle. With a milita type unit you could still
    but aviod haveing modern forces fighting with sicks and arrows, with the associated chance of :spear:

4: Upgrade cost
    All I really sugest here is to increase the upgrade cost so that although upgrading is cheaper than rush-bying a new unit, it would be expencive enough to make the player consider the alternatives i.e. upgarde now/upgrade later/disband and cut down unit numbers.

5b: Modern Armour with a bombardment range of 2
    A huge cannon does not artillery make. To me it seems that a range of two squares is definity over the horizon, whereas Modern Armour stye units are most definitly direct fire units. While it would be possible to build tank-howitzer vehicles that is not what Modern Armour vehicles are.

Consider it this way; in Civ 3 ranged bombardment can represent several things. 1: The ability to damage defences or disrupt/damage defenders in a forification or city. 2: The ability to bombard enemy forces from beyond battlefield engagment range. 3.
    4. Other possibilities I have missed.
    Modern Armour style vehicles use their "huge cannon" at battlefield engagment range, at which they are thretened by infantry AT weapons/other armoured vehicles/attack helicopters etc. This seems to match actual attack better than ranged bombardment.
    The only way way ranged bombardment fits for Modern Armour is in case 4 (in which case some explanation in the civilopedia would make this fit better mentally) or if Modern Armour units included (and were described as including) integral supporting units of Self Propelled Artillery.

5d: since artillery ... highly attractive
    As I said
    "At one point in the game (napoleonic) I had my unit limit in regular units (upkeep of 10 means this is a pretty solid limit) and twice that number in artillery..."
    That is a small empire with a unit cap of about 20, with ~22 units that required upkeep and 40-45 cannon. If I had built a "balanced mix of units" my empire would have gone bankrupt by then end of the week, not to mention the population cost.
    Later on in the game when the unit cap was not a problem my forces did have a "balanced mix of units", the situation seems only likely to occur to a small human civ without enough power to expand (and increase their unit cap).

5e: Lethal bombardment
    If you want to know how usefull bombardment (especially lethal bombardment) can be read some stratery threads on artillery, especially on the Hwacha (lethal)

The changes I am sugesting is to remove lethal bombard (which would only hurt human players), consider a cost increase to recognise the bonus of not requiring population (once you factor out the human cost, is equipment more or less expensive for arty or infantry/cavelry etc), and possibly require upkeep for arty.

What I meant was - the text at the top says costs (for example) 3 pop points, but the auto-generated details at the bottom say 1 pop point. The auto-generated details are always correct, but it could be confusing.

Thanks for your answer, and sorry if I was not clear in the way that I wrote things.

8. squidbeastie

squidbeastie Chieftain

Hello peoples, 'tis a fine looking mod, but I'm having the self same problem as Innichen and bobalot... having moved about the PediaIcons file hither and thither, then replaced it with the one from Rhye's of Civ... no joy...

Was the issue resolved? it would be entirely in character if I managed to read your entire post without noticing the solution ;)

9. randomScrubX

randomScrubX Chieftain

I have been moved and at some point in time I shall release an upgrade to ROTP based on your suggestions (though how long it will take for said upgrade to arrive is anybody's guess :p ). I would like as much feedback from as many sources as possible to ensure that modifications aren't to any particular audience or style of play.

I would greatly appreciate more feedback, especially on the WW2 era and the modern era. I am specifically looking for feedback on unit pricing, how useful units prove to be (eg. attack helicopter, angels, units in the spy chain, units in the urban militia chain, etc.) and comments on air units (broken? fair?).

Once again I would like to ask if anyone would interested in porting ROTP to Civ4 or working on an entirely new mod (for Civ4), "The Land of Dead Gods" (see earlier in the thread) for more information. Be all that you can be, safe-ly :lol: .

To squidbeastie, to which error do you refer? The statue of liberty problem? If so I shall include the files in my next release. If not, enlighten me.

Here are the files for the statue of liberty

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/ron-liberty.zip

Check in the forums for tutorials on how to integrate the files into the mod.

As SWalker has given the most feedback I shall deal with him/her/it first

>It seems to me that in modern times it would be easier to equip some sort of
    >urban militia with private weapons than to equip them as archers, giving a
    >unit somewhat more effective than fusiliers (A4/D6).

Units in the urban militia upgrade chains shall no longer require resources to build (unless they don't require resources already :confused: ).

>BTW, tanks are artillery (huge cannon).
    >A huge cannon does not artillery make. To me it seems that a range of two
    >squares is definity over the horizon, whereas Modern Armour stye units are
    >most definitly direct fire units.

As far as I remember WW2 era tanks have the same bombardment capabilities of Napoleonic cannons (in the mod and presumably in real life). As for modern armour, I think I shall give them the same capabilities. I actually checked and from what I found the Abrams tank can basically fire grapeshot like a Napoleonic cannon, so my bad :p (effective against buildings as well). Think about it this way, as a unit of tanks has more or less the real world bombardment capability of a unit of Napoleonic cannons they have the same capability in mod as well. In order to explain this philosophy further I shall offer another quote.

>Consider it this way; in Civ 3 ranged bombardment can represent several
    >things. 1: The ability to damage defences or disrupt/damage defenders in a
    >forification or city. 2: The ability to bombard enemy forces from beyond >battlefield engagment range. 3.

In my mod I work with a certain sense of scale so units that are right next to each other on the map are right next to each other (think WW1 standoff and medieval armies glaring at one another from across the battlefield) so ranged bombardment is more or less shooting people right in front of you. One square more or less takes up the area of more or less one military unit (eg. a unit of swordsmen is about 1000 people and they take up one square). Moving into the square to attack is more of less direct engagement (basically melee). So spy units are basically walking right up to people who are within walking distance.

>"At one point in the game (napoleonic) I had my unit limit in regular units
    >(upkeep of 10 means this is a pretty solid limit) and twice that number in
    >artillery..."

Units in the artillery upgrade chain starting with cannons and up shall require upkeep. Units earlier in the chain will not as they are nowhere near as useful and are a pain even to build (with the unholy rush of swordsmen being spawned at that point).

>Later on in the game when the unit cap was not a problem my forces did
    >have a "balanced mix of units", the situation seems only likely to occur to a
    >small human civ without enough power to expand (and increase their unit
    >cap).

At which point in the game was this, WW2, modern or post-modern? I can remove upkeep accordingly.

>I found that units that required numerous pop points did require those
    >points. Check the number in the stats box to get the exact number.
    >
    >What I meant was - the text at the top says costs (for example) 3 pop
    >points, but the auto-generated details at the bottom say 1 pop point. The
    >auto-generated details are always correct, but it could be confusing.

Noted.

As to his earlier post

>>4: Upgrade cost - the computer does not seem to upgrade its units, so the
    >>cheap UG cost gives a big advantage to the human player. (Also due to
    >>their slow speed to computer seems to be left with many Early Tanks after
    >>their other offensive units have been destroyed, even long after they are
    >>obsolete.)
    >
    >I wanted to make sure that constantly building units wasn't a lost cause (eg. >no point building a bunch of units if they're going to become obsolete before >you can use them). That's why every unit has a complete upgrade chain. If >someone could find a way to make the PC upgrade their units it would be >deeply appreciated.

I think I will slightly increase the cost of upgrading units. Further input would be greatly appreciated.

>5b: Modern Armour with a bombardment range of 2 leads to them being a
    >unit that feels abusive to use (as you know the compter won't use them the
    >same way). They have better defence overall than mechanised infantry (hp
    >bonus), they can be sent foward to bombard a target - then back to guard
    >cities on the same turn (the computer won't even use them to bombard),
    >and the bombard range of 2 just feels wrong (even if it does represent
    >integrated artillery in units).

I am thinking about increasing the cost of units in "cavalry" upgrade chain beyond early tanks slightly. Input in this regard would be appreciated. Is the production ratio of infantry to cavalry tilted to the infantry (can produce more infantry in the time it takes to build one tank)? I am looking to maintain a production ratio similar to that in the Napoleonic era but increases in production level in later eras make it difficult to be exact.

10. SWalker

SWalker Chieftain

Thanks for your responces. I dont want to be telling you what to do with your mod, just give my experiences of playing it.

As for your question

By the medieval period my civ had expanded to the limit of its natural borders of mountains and sea (although I had a small number of overseas cities), with one natural channel for land based conquests (about 4 tiles wide). As a medium power civ I was drawn into several confilcts over time, the only one of any real significance being with the Russians (and their allies) through that corridor.

I was able to conquer the city in the corridor, but beyond that the lands spread flat and wide, and I needed all the units I had to defend the areas I held. With the upkeep of 10 per unit, I could not afford to support the units that I would need to capture cities to up my unit cap. In the middle of a war the anarchy from changing goverment to Theocratic Internnationalism would make that a bad idea, and Russia wanted the city back in exchange for peace. At that point the only military strategy that made sense was to build Trebuchet/Cannon, and hope to grind down the Russian forces until they would make peace.

After making peace I had one city in the hills (with timber and fine stone) with a maximum population of 3 where building improvements was not worth while, so I left it producing cannons (1 every two turns).

With the development of Artillery (with 267% of the firepower of cannons and two square range), I upgraded about 40 cannons (with the cheap UG cost I could afford it), and started rolling across the world (averge about 1 city captured per turn). From that point on unit cap was not a problem as I was capturing cities faster than building units, and by the time I conquered every thing worth owning on my continent I had 112 units + about 80 arty with a unit cap of 628 (Social Democracy). Since about the development of mechanized warfare I have has no hope of ever filling the unit cap (unless I went crazy with conscription).

This is not in any way intended to say that my stratergy was a good one (I was only playing on Monarch), simply that given the situation in the game it was a natural tactic to build so much arty.

11. squidbeastie

squidbeastie Chieftain

First randomScrubX, thanks for the prompt reply! You hit the nail on the head, I don't know what lady liberty has against me, she seemed pleasant enough when we met, but even giant copper women are entiteled to their moods I suppose. Well, she's still upset with me, and I have simply no idea how to intergrate those files :(

12. randomScrubX

randomScrubX Chieftain

13. bobalot

bobalot Chieftain

Yeah, Got another problem. Now it asks for the statue of liberty.

14. CEO Daedalus

CEO Daedalus Gibsoneer

pretty lame modpack.

I thought it was poorly made. and there dosent seem to be no Beta Testing before release.

And Rhye. 95% reduced loading time was just misleading. Semed the same to me.

15. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

:hmm:

16. randomScrubX

randomScrubX Chieftain

I would prefer to have comments that actually have something useful to say as opposed to making blanket statements with no justification :rolleyes: . As I am looking to improve quality I would like concrete suggestions and I am interested in hearing people's opinions. There are other forums to go if you want to troll and not have a conversation. Hopefully this won't start a flame war :lol: .

To Rhye, I actually did notice that despite the huge map it really did load very fast for me (this mod and the one you put out) as opposed to some other mods which started crawling late in the game.

Anybody interested in collaborating to do a Civ4 mod (see first post)? Just asking :crazyeye: . I look forward to hearing from all of you fine people at CivFanatics. Have a nice day :D .

17. randomScrubX

randomScrubX Chieftain

For everyone who is having problems running my mod due to the Statue of Liberty error here are the instructions as to how to fix the mod.

Download this file http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/ron-liberty.zip

Unzip the files to somewhere you will remember.

Rename liberty-large.pcx to libertylarge.pcx.

Rename liberty-small.pcx to libertysmall.pcx

Rename liberty-splash.pcx to Liberty.pcx.

From this point on I shall refer to the directory where the mod is located in your Civilization 3 directory as Rise of The Prince.

Cut and paste libertylarge.pcx and libertysmall.pcx into
    Rise of The Prince\art\Civilopedia\Icons\Buildings.

Cut and paste Liberty.pcx to Rise of The Prince\art\Wonder Splash.

Hopefully that should take care of it!

18. CEO Daedalus

CEO Daedalus Gibsoneer

I dont understand though. Maybe its my computer. it still went slow for me.

19. randomScrubX

randomScrubX Chieftain

My computer is a few years old (around 2000 I believe) and it runs blazingly fast :eek: , even in the end game. Perhaps you're just running too many bots (if you're using single player mode) or too large a map. The computer makes a lot of units and engages in huge battles so that is why it might seem to run slowly (in actuality the computer is running through its turns).

Try running it on a smaller map size (minor difference) with fewer bots (big difference). It doesn't matter if you use less bots because you can expand so quickly in this game (in the beginning at least, it's a huge pain after the ancient age).

How did you find the end game? How was the unit pricing? Were any units useless or did they all have nice little niche they could fill? Any comments in general? How were each of the ages (speed, flavour, etc.)?

As to the comments about beta testing. This is the beta testing period :D ! You have useful project that can be revised to perfection. I'm a fan of functional prototyping. Too often people take on a huge project and work on one huge delivery and come up with nothing to show for it. At least this way you have something useful at every step.

I look forward to hearing from everyone.

20. randomScrubX

randomScrubX Chieftain

Hello everybody :D ,

If it wouldn't be too much trouble could you rate my modpack at this page;

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=4120

I just want to make sure that the modpack's rating is a true assessment of my modpack's quality and not just the opinion of isolated individuals with an axe to grind. It will help me in the future so I get an idea of whether or not I'm on the right track. I probably should have asked earlier :p but I figured everyone was going to vote anyways.