1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's Syndrome

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Kawzmo191, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Kawzmo191

Kawzmo191 Chieftain

Or maybe it's withdrawals, I'm not sure, because heroin addiction has nothing on the grip that this game has had on the past two years.

And this is coming from an ex-junkie/speedfreak/still pothead :lol:

I've recently moved, a bunch of crap is going on at home 60 miles away from my aunt's house (I'm taking care of her after some major surgery on her left foot) and alas I am without Civilization, namely RFC: E/M, RFCE and SoI. I have been gone for a little over a month now and it's driving me nuts. The new betas for RFCE and SoI have come out. More zany screenshots in the OMFG thread keep making me want to play, but nooooooooooo, everyone else in my family just has to be Linux-freaks :(

I miss you lot even though I rarely have anything to contribute. For a sub-forum of a sub-forum of a sub-forum of a forum, you chaps are tight-knit.

Oh well, this is giving me the time to get a job, get a G.E.D, and log some driving time in. Not to mention the whole "having someone depend on me" thing which is pretty damned revelatory

All in all as much as I miss RFC, i realize it had a hold on me from summer 2009 to summer 2011.

It's a credit to Rhye though, he made a single scenario that made Civ-Addiction pale in comparison. Rhye's syndrome, I call it ;) A single scenario! I never fired up vanilla civ and BTS but four or five times, so good on ya! I have noone to blame for my itinerancy these past two years but myself. I was in a depressed whole there, and you band-aided it, all the while helping me unlock my inner history buff, which I had tried to kick to the curb in my late-teens in order to become somewhat socially functional. (not to mention a band I had/have going.)

So, thank you Rhye. You gave me allot of reflection time that I was lucky to have in the first place, helped by having a parent who gave a damn enough to keep me in his house, even while I was shooting up and doing rails on the back of the toilet (hey, as long as the vacuum got run and various other household tasks, he was fine, although he didn't know about the brown stuff :p)

In conclusion, Idk why I made this thread. I just dropped by having some free time now, and I miss my old dusty 2004 gateway that took five minutes to load a turn in the industrial age. But more-so, I miss the community involved. My first big investment once the money starts rolling in will be a laptop that can run Civ IV, and more importantly RFC at full gallop. Already got a car in reserve back at home, so as soon as possible, I'll be back around to give more hackneyed military theory pertaining to the game, and asking boneheaded questions and ranting in general.

:king: Peace chaps, I'll keep dropping lines and peeking in. And before anyone gets snippy about the drug-talk, I'm just telling you how it was for me during t hat relatively dark period. And don't knock it until you fire up a dooby, set the game length to Epic, raze Frankfurt (my fellow frog-lovers know the drill) and go to globeview after a couple of hours. L'Hexagone lives :lol:

2. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

wow, thank you.
    It's funny how when I started modding (especially in civ3 times), the reason was just to make a more realistic game for playing myself. But I was never satisfied with the result, and couldn't finish a game, because I felt the need to change something and start again. It ended up with me not playing at all, and just modding for the users.
    I really hope that this community stays alive as long as possible.

3. narvego

narvego Chieftain

I have another "Rhye's Syndrome". When I started to play in RFC, then immediatelly I loved it. Watching to this "simulation of world", based on the mechanism of stability, was very exciting. Sometimes I do a changes in some XML/Python files, and I start to play with for example with Americans from 3000 BC to see, how different world can be in different scenarios :) maybe it is crazy, I know, but I like it.

Until now, I cannot play in other MODs of Civ, even in pure BTS or ROM and etc. They are boring. They do not have this, what RFC have. So I play in standard RFC, and RFC Rand (still!) or in RFC Europe :) Big thanks for this mods. They all have extremely high influence to my imagination :) I loved history and politology, maybe this is a key :)

Ps.
    If ever I start to playing in Civ 5, then this will not be earlier when will be RFC for Civ5 :)

4. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Haha, thats me too in a nutshell alright. :lol:

5. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

so how should we call this syndrome?

6. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I dunno. I guess we're just not gamers as much as we're game makers. Entertainment just isn't enough, we have to be creative while we're enjoying ourselves, perhaps?

7. zbelg

zbelg Chieftain

I gotta echo the RFC praise too. I was out of the loop for a while, I just got a laptop again and one of the first things I did was get RFC on here. The scope and complexity of the mod is overwhelming, I've spent a LOT of time playing it but there's still so much more I want to do in the future. It's all I really bother with in Civ4, or gaming in general, really, at this point. Base Civ4 just doesn't appeal to me anymore and other mods don't seem to have the same eh... craftsmanship? as RFC. At the risk of angering the neighbors, not even FFH :p

Is there still any sort of MP community? I'm probably a novice compared to some people here, I was just reading the Conquest threads and was in awe, but I'd love to just try a sandbox game with some other folks.

8. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

MP is pretty much RFC'w one major flaw. A lot of the mechanics are difficult if not impossible to convert to RFC:Multiplayer, so RFC:Multiplayer is quite watered down. Its forum has been dead for a long time, I believe.

9. Synapce

Synapce Chieftain

I still play mp with friends. Do you think it would be good if we could re-invigorate the mp forums and get some games going again? Sadly I joined way after the forum had died :sad:

10. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

The problem is that for people to play a mod, you have to have the mod be of good quality. Sadly RFC MP simply isn't.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news. :sad:

11. J. pride

J. pride Chieftain

I would actually want to see an Multiplayer version of Synthesis, DOC or SOI. It would be a lot more interesting to play against real people especially an excellent game like SOI. That makes me think, the next big project for SOI should be multiplayer.

12. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

Oh boy. That sounds like asking for a headache. Particularly with things like Congresses. Whenever I finally finish Synthesis, I'll certainly contemplate it.

13. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I think that the stuff causing OOS issues could be rewritten using Mod Net Messages.

14. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

What exactly are those?

15. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

In order to make multi-player games to work properly, all Python calls basically need to pass through the DLL before applying any changes. These calls to and from the DLL are known as Mod Net Messages.

Failing to route everything through the game engine will cause the client computers to go out-of-sync.

Well, this is what I've gathered. I never used one myself or anything.

16. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

I see. Thanks.

17. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

In the API, under the CyMessageControl class, you find this:
    So, whenever this method is invoked, it causes a ModNetMessage game event that can be detected in the Event Manager/Handler:
    Code:
    	def onModNetMessage(self, argsList):
    		'Called whenever CyMessageControl().sendModNetMessage() is called - this is all for you modders!'

iData1, iData2, iData3, iData4, iData5 = argsList
    All you basically need to do, is to portion the instructions for what you wanna do into the five data values. Passing a CyUnit instance could, for example be expressed as the PlayerType and the Unit ID. Because then you can rebuild the object with CyPlayer.getUnit(). If you enumerate the Python effects in your mod you can use another data slot as the identifier for what you wanna do with the rest of the values. (Like identifying the PlayerType and the Unit ID as a newly created unit.)

The question is if you can pass other than integer values in a Mod Net Message. Because being able to pass arrays of values would be far more potent!

edit; Man, fiddling with this sort of thing is exactly what I like about programming. Too bad I don't have the time go try this stuff myself!

18. killerkebab

killerkebab Chieftain

It is a shame. Some of my most memorable times on RFC have been on multiplayer, even though the MP version is 'basic'. We still have a big community of players, if any of the main mods like DoC or Synthesis were to go MP there'd always be a game going :)

19. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I wonder if there is any real reason for having a separate "multi-player version" of RFC. Stuff like the congresses could surely be disabled for multi-player game sessions within the main version of the mod. Or they could be fixed to work with multi-player using Mod Net Messages.

I might be dead wrong on this, but clever programming should be able to fix just about anything.

20. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

That's correct, modding gives you the power to do just about anything except:

1) Core graphics engine

2) A few things stored in .exe