RifE 1.20 Download and Changelog

you know of the feature I'm talking about... And yes, I'm enjoying taunting the rest of you about it. ;) Not my place to discuss it really anyway. :mischief:

I will reitertate my previous comment regarding you mentality towards causing pain. Also, I haven't seen a wyrm yet, why do they look invisible in the civilopedia?

oh-oh my.

I get ctds when I try to start a game on perfectworld and fractal, but big and small works.

What mapscript do you suggest for ffplus? And whatever happened to ffplus continent? Will kelp work on other mapscripts?

edit: sorry I'm an edit-oholic

i ve only played 2 hours with the new version yesterday so it might be a bit early but i m not really fond of the animal changes. there was a point in orbis where you pretty much had to dig "in" in your cultural borders as animals were too many / too strong. orbis fixed it but i ve got the feeling its now in FF+ and much worse than ever in orbis.

i saw a STR 13 bear pack with +100% strenght and 3 movement points at turn 50. one can be lucky that they dont attack cities because that d be pretty much game over this early in the game. i did have a couple of STR 9 bears rampaging WITHIN my cultural borders killing workers though.

i m all for challenge but those super animals i dont like. bearpacks that have more strenght than phalanxes ? no thanks - found it already irritiating in the otherwise awesome doviello+ remake that the best unit is a bunch of bears who d eat immortals or phalanxes heck even some dragons for breakfast.

maybe its just me but i think the highest base strenght an animal unit (excluding monster apes of course) should have is 8 (on par with iron champions) and thats for the meanest monster-bears of erebus.

of course real beasts (those wyrms i ve read about but not seen yet) could be stronger, but common animals ? it just doesnt make sense to me....

dont misunderstand me, i LIKE FF+ variety in animals, i like the way doviello+ can be heavy on them and i like a good challenge in the early game.

but the ridicoulus base strenght animal packs can get either when playing doviello or now from the barb AI feels very unflavourfull.

just my opinion though - i d prefer fighting more against stacks of barb orcs early game for the challenge - instead of trembling in fear that a bunch of superbears eats my whole army. ;)

Oh good there is a reason to get to subdue beast. Which should be available at Ranger as a promotion. You should simply have to have subdue animal as a prereq. Any animal over a 7 should be a beast since a ranger is a 7.

I'm finding Cernunnon a bit overpowered as well. I was playing on a huge erebus map with 15 civs, and I could only come in contact with those directly next to me due to whatever animals were around. about 8 scouts died within 4 turns outside of my borders. A treant (10 strength) was harassing my settler troops too, eventually I had to build one additional warrior per turn it took to get to a certain spot, because that's the only way my settler would survive.

The AI seems quite focussed on the mana techs all of a sudden. Hadnt noticed it before, but I might've missed it. I found it a bit odd though, that all of the AI players had all the mana techs eventually.

And a bug - the Bannor Garrison Keeper (something like that - the fort commander for the Bannor) can't actually command any troops. The 'Assign 'x' to Axeman' button didn't show up at all.

Loving the rest!

Hello,

I have installed FFH + FF + FF plus last version but now i have no icons in the principal menu and in the game some icons are missing or are in arial police. This is strange.
For exemple, i don't see the words "option" i see no words but i can click on it.

Can you say me what is the problem ?

I actually like the change to animals. The wilderness is not so much explored as conquered. Exploration then continues to be interesting for a long time in the game.

Creating new cities can be a little bit of a challenge, but most of the time so far I've found doing so simply requires a bit of strategy. Create an army of expendable scouts to determine a clear path and accept it might take you a bit of time to get to the new city location. Accept fewer cities early on until you can protect settlers better, including creating forts at key strategic points on the map to provide waypoints for settlers.

Fantastic change! One of my favorite so far!

Love some of the new animals as well.....

Treant is toned-down in the internal version already. There will be an animal civ Treant UU that is only 6 base power.

As for the bears...yeah, bears are really, really strong. I didn't buff them...I just allowed cave bears to spawn and the various bears to upgrade to the already-existing bear pack units. I can block bear packs from the animal civ I suppose...bears don't naturally run in packs, after all. I'll tweak bears is the short answer, I guess. :lol:

Reducing requirements on subdue beast would seem to limit the need to push up the recon line. I really don't want to see folks running around with "tame" wyrms and dragons early. :eek:

i ve only played 2 hours with the new version yesterday so it might be a bit early but i m not really fond of the animal changes. there was a point in orbis where you pretty much had to dig "in" in your cultural borders as animals were too many / too strong. orbis fixed it but i ve got the feeling its now in FF+ and much worse than ever in orbis.

i saw a STR 13 bear pack with +100% strenght and 3 movement points at turn 50. one can be lucky that they dont attack cities because that d be pretty much game over this early in the game. i did have a couple of STR 9 bears rampaging WITHIN my cultural borders killing workers though.

i m all for challenge but those super animals i dont like. bearpacks that have more strenght than phalanxes ? no thanks - found it already irritiating in the otherwise awesome doviello+ remake that the best unit is a bunch of bears who d eat immortals or phalanxes heck even some dragons for breakfast.

maybe its just me but i think the highest base strenght an animal unit (excluding monster apes of course) should have is 8 (on par with iron champions) and thats for the meanest monster-bears of erebus.

of course real beasts (those wyrms i ve read about but not seen yet) could be stronger, but common animals ? it just doesnt make sense to me....

dont misunderstand me, i LIKE FF+ variety in animals, i like the way doviello+ can be heavy on them and i like a good challenge in the early game.

but the ridicoulus base strenght animal packs can get either when playing doviello or now from the barb AI feels very unflavourfull.

just my opinion though - i d prefer fighting more against stacks of barb orcs early game for the challenge - instead of trembling in fear that a bunch of superbears eats my whole army. ;)

Treant is toned-down in the internal version already. There will be an animal civ Treant UU that is only 6 base power.

As for the bears...yeah, bears are really, really strong. I didn't buff them...I just allowed cave bears to spawn and the various bears to upgrade to the already-existing bear pack units. I can block bear packs from the animal civ I suppose...bears don't naturally run in packs, after all. I'll tweak bears is the short answer, I guess. :lol:

Reducing requirements on subdue beast would seem to limit the need to push up the recon line. I really don't want to see folks running around with "tame" wyrms and dragons early. :eek:

The Treant UU is already in, actually. Same with the Hill Giant for the Savages. ;)

I think what I'd prefer, rather than dropping strength, is to import the Orbis change where Animals can require techs to spawn... So the higher level animals won't come in early on. :lol:

I will say one, and only one, word on the matter of the Wyrms; Dune.

That is all. ;)

Oh god, I'll never look at desert the same way again. Like that massive patch to my south in my current game.

The Treant UU is already in, actually. Same with the Hill Giant for the Savages. ;)

I think what I'd prefer, rather than dropping strength, is to import the Orbis change where Animals can require techs to spawn... So the higher level animals won't come in early on. :lol:

Sweet I like the mean ass animals.
I like catching them even more =)

Maybe add that promotion "can turn barbarian (3%) chance and (3%) of wearing off per turn" I don't know the name. Not to be confused with the Maniac/werewolf promotion that makes you lose the unit forever. I hate that promotion...on anything.

Something that makes them a "little" more work to handle may be in order. Then again wouldn't that just hurt the AI more than us?

Bah who knows lol.

Love the mod,
Bam

dropping strenght isnt necessary - and doing it like orbis (limiting spawns for the stronger enemies to certain techs) would work wonders for early game balance...
...HOWEVER... i d still love if ANIMALS (bears, wolves, lions, stags, etc. etc.) would never go above 8 base strenght for plain flavour/fluff/lore/immersion reasons (picture a bear taking on a group of immortals and beating them....).

everything above 8 strenght should be beasts (wyverns, wyrms, dragons, hippogrifs, treants, etc. etc.) , not common animals. those are fair enough to be able to take on even elite melee troops.

so basically i dont really mind meeting str. 13, 3 movement enemies (from my above example) provided that...

a) they come into play at a suitable time during the game

b) that they arent plain animals but proper beasts for which their high str makes sense lorewise.

short-form: its basically just a cosmetic/fluff issue. imagine instead of acheron there would be a 35 STR duck sitting around in a barb city. imagine instead of stephanos the rider of the apocalypse would be bambi the deer and dumbo the elephant. maybe bears with 13-26 STR are not quite as ridicoulus as that but imho its close ;)

Hmmm. Wonder if the Treant in question was an old wild treant sitting on a forest? If it had +2 strength from age that would explain it.

Delayed spawn is interesting...but I actually rather like not being able to bulldoze through every challenge the animals throw at you. I think having to think of a way around the Wyrm lurking near the resource you need is fun.

Also, if the strong spawns are all late-game the civilizations will have long since pushed the wilds to the fringes.

Short version: I like early fearsome critters. Bears shouldn't be as tough as Dragons.

dropping strenght isnt necessary - and doing it like orbis (limiting spawns for the stronger enemies to certain techs) would work wonders for early game balance...
...HOWEVER... i d still love if ANIMALS (bears, wolves, lions, stags, etc. etc.) would never go above 8 base strenght for plain flavour/fluff/lore/immersion reasons (picture a bear taking on a group of immortals and beating them....).

everything above 8 strenght should be beasts (wyverns, wyrms, dragons, hippogrifs, treants, etc. etc.) , not common animals. those are fair enough to be able to take on even elite melee troops.

so basically i dont really mind meeting str. 13, 3 movement enemies (from my above example) provided that...

a) they come into play at a suitable time during the game

b) that they arent plain animals but proper beasts for which their high str makes sense lorewise.

short-form: its basically just a cosmetic/fluff issue. imagine instead of acheron there would be a 35 STR duck sitting around in a barb city. imagine instead of stephanos the rider of the apocalypse would be bambi the deer and dumbo the elephant. maybe bears with 13-26 STR are not quite as ridicoulus as that but imho its close ;)

Hmmm. Wonder if the Treant in question was an old wild treant sitting on a forest? If it had +2 strength from age that would explain it.

Delayed spawn is interesting...but I actually rather like not being able to bulldoze through every challenge the animals throw at you. I think having to think of a way around the Wyrm lurking near the resource you need is fun.

Also, if the strong spawns are all late-game the civilizations will have long since pushed the wilds to the fringes.

Short version: I like early fearsome critters. Bears shouldn't be as tough as Dragons.

To be perfectly honest here.... I agree with both of you. :lol:

I like powerful early animals... Gives a great feeling that civilization is just beginning to return, that you have to beat back the animals that flourished through the intervening generations.

At the same time, I agree that from a flavour perspective, animals should be weaker, while beasts should be powerful.

Here's what I'm thinking....

1. A few very strong animals will be limited via techs. Mostly looking at Dragons, Cave Bears, Elks. Maybe Wyrms.... But I like them. :lol:
    • What might be better, would be to allow small numbers of them to spawn throughout the game... But increase those numbers with specific techs. Will need to talk to Xienwolf about where to start with that, however.
  2. Revamp the animal civ's Strength Gain mechanic.
    1. For one thing, I'd like to apply the same mechanic to animals owned by civs at peace with Cernunnos... As in, Doviello/Archos. Might add Ljos in there for variety.
    2. I'd like animals over a certain strength limit (Say, 4 points over the base for that particular animal?) to become Beasts, making them slightly harder to tame... But more palatable to fight. If I'm going to lose a third of my army taking out a bear, the thing needs to be a Beast. :p
    3. To go with that, certain animals will be made Beasts naturally. Cave Bears/Elks already are, and I believe the Dragons are... I think the Wyrm could stand it, the Dragon Tortoise, and maybe a few others.

This will all take DLL work. For now, I believe I'll make certain units limited in numbers... Say, two of each dragon possible at any one time? Gives a possibility of 8 lesser dragons running around.

Top Bottom