1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RifE 1.20 Download and Changelog

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Valkrionn, Jun 29, 2009.

1. EugeneStyles

EugeneStyles Prince

Any news on where there would be an announcement of a time when we should expect to GET news? :D

I totally get why there's no "release date", not even a tentative one. No matter how you do it, people will get all huffy when you miss it. Not to mention people might stop playing the current version to wait for the new one.

But man, it's KILLING me. :cry:

2. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Well, I'm about done with the D'tesh... Then come the Sidar, the Dural, finishing up the Grigori (just one building left, but it's going to be a pain), removing the Kahdi, removing Ordo, adjustments to the Mechanos to fit, a small tweak for the Mazatl, and that SHOULD be about it, other than art.

All depends on how fast I can work on it, as I'm the only team member working on 1.3. Others are planning for 1.4, and merging the code required; Grey Fox has it written, and working, he just wrote it for BtS. So 1.4 will not take quite as long as 1.3 has. ;)

3. blade117

blade117 The Unburnt

Good to know, Valk.

4. Haerzog

Haerzog Warlord

why remove the Kahdi?

5. Valkrionn

Already answered in another thread.

Basically, there just isn't room for the Kahdi AND the Amurites and Sheaim. They should never have been added in the first place, their entire mechanic is based on taking what's special about the Sheaim (planar gate) and giving it to the Amurites.

6. sylvain5477

sylvain5477 Cerebrus father

Agreed here.

7. Bahmo

Bahmo King

Could you please answer my question, Val? :sad:

8. Valkrionn

Sorry, forgot about it.

Honestly, it would be a massive amount of work; Was quite a bit of work just cloning the existing alignment code, so getting it to work in another mod would be a very large project.

If you open the source files, the entire Law-Chaos axis can be found by searching for 'Lawful-Chaotic Alignments'.

9. Cyrusfan

Cyrusfan King

Minor question on Broader Alignments, is the destination of souls (for Mercurian/Infernal purposes) still based on state religion or is it determined by a civ's current Good/Evil rating? I'm just wondering since an awful lot of civs in RiFE can't have a state religion, though in some of those cases it makes sense that their "souls" don't go anywhere *cough* D'Tesh *cough*

10. Valkrionn

I... am actually not sure. I'd have to check the python.

11. Bahmo

Bahmo King

What are "source files?"

12. Valkrionn

If you're asking that question, then the project is likely beyond you as yet, unfortunately.

To answer it, though... They are the files in Rise from Erebus/CvGameCoreDLL. You'll want to open them as a project in either CodeBlocks (easier to start with) or Visual C++ 2008 (better in the long run, more capabilities).

To see how to do that, refer to Xienwolf's guide: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=314201

It will have links to guides for setting up the programs, and then it will tell you how to edit the code, hopefully explaining some things.

13. odalrick

odalrick Emperor

Was it ever based on state religion?

Last I heard it's based on unit religion, a few Evil promotions and whether the unit is Mercurian or not.

14. Valkrionn

That version rings a bell, yes. Last one I remember, at the very least.

15. Bahmo

Bahmo King

Any idea which files they're in? I figured it was the CvGameCoreDLL folder, but it has a lot of files!

Edit: The "Boost" files? I apologize; I understand XML but know nothing of C++.

16. Valkrionn

Like I said, read through Xienwolf's tutorial. Those files in and of themselves are completely useless; They must be opened as a project, and compiled into a dll.

Once you open the project file (CvGameCoreDLL.vcproj) using either CodeBlocks or Visual C++, you can then search ALL of those files at one time.

Honestly, if all you know is XML then it will be an extremely difficult process. XML is not actual programming (aside from maybe the PlotSystem files), it simply passes values into the dll.

17. Bahmo

Bahmo King

I am aware of that. However, I learned XML by finding values in it that I recognized from the game, and then editing them. It may not be possible to do the same with C++, as it's less based on actual language, but I can still try to get a feel for it.

18. Valkrionn

Just popping in to announce something that many modmodders will appreciate:

Thanks to ArcticNightWolf, we now have modular python. When making a module, place any python files within a 'python' folder (So it would be "Modules/NormalModules/YOUR MODULE/python), with whatever name you want. For example, here is the contents of an example event:

Code:
    ## MODULAR PYTHON EXAMPLE
    ## ArcticNightWolf 29-may-2010
    ## ArcticNightWolf@gmail.com

from CvPythonExtensions import *

def onCityBuilt(self, argsList):
            'City Built'
            pCity         = argsList[0]
            gc             = CyGlobalContext()
            iSouth         = DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_SOUTH
            iNoAI        = UnitAITypes.NO_UNITAI
            iOwner        = pCity.getOwner()
            pPlayer        = gc.getPlayer(iOwner)
            Unit        = self.Units["Generic"]
            iX = pCity.getX(); iY = pCity.getY()

iUnit         = Unit["Warrior"]
            newUnit     = pPlayer.initUnit(iUnit, iX, iY, iNoAI, iSouth)

That's it. All it does is spawn a warrior when you build a city. The majority is just copied from the function's main entry in CvEventManager.

As of now, it works with CvEventManager and CvSpellInterface... Will look at adding support for CvGameUtils, CustomFunctions, and any other files that need it. Within EventManager, not all events are currently checking for modular python. It's only two lines of code to add it for the event, however, so I'll be adding it to the others.

• EventManager
      • onBeginGameTurn(self, argsList)
      • onEndGameTurn(self, argsList)
      • onBeginPlayerTurn(self, argsList)
      • onEndPlayerTurn(self, argsList)
      • onBuildingBuilt(self, argsList)
      • onProjectBuilt(self, argsList)
      • onUnitCreated(self, argsList)
      • onUnitBuilt(self, argsList)
      • onTechAcquired(self, argsList)
      • onCityBuilt(self, argsList)
      • onCityRazed(self, argsList)
      • onCityAcquired(self, argsList)
      • onCityDoTurn(self, argsList)
    • SpellInterface
      • Anything that uses this file will work. :p

So... All of you modmodders, thank ANW. :p It's suddenly possible to do a LOT more with modules, and easier to maintain compatibility when RifE updates... And it's also much easier for modmods to be compatible with each other now, so regular players benefit as well. :goodjob:

19. Jheral

Jheral Prince

That is awesome. No more having to change the real python.

Great job, ArcticNightWolf! :goodjob::clap:

20. 25Hour

25Hour Some sort of lemur

Sweet! I'm greatly looking forward to making my mod completely modular. All hail ArcticNightWolf!