RifE 1.20 Download and Changelog

Now that it's been found out via the wiki anyway, may as well describe the changes we made for this modcomp.

Overflow Production is a modcomp by Denev, allowing extra hammers to be used for completing more items; If you have 100 hammers, and Warriors cost 25, you can build 4 of them in one turn. Same thing applies for buildings, and rituals.

Obviously, it's quite strong. I decided it was too strong to be a global mechanic (think of the D'tesh or Infernals with it :eek:), so I've tied it to traits; A few specific leaders will end up with it, but the only two Civilizations to receive it are the Clan of Embers and their relatives, the Bannor. Both have a heavy military focus, both have the same origin, so I feel it helps make both more flavorful and tie them together in the lore, even while they still play differently.

The Bannor have received no boosts or modifications for it; They simply gain use of the mechanic. Up to the player to earn enough hammers to make use of it.

The Clan, however, have been adapted for it... First off, they have lost the Warrens. Extra units are no longer free (but also no longer weakened); You must have the hammers for them. However, they have gained the Agoge, available at the same time (warrens renamed/redesigned, basically); This building grants +40% Military Production. This, coupled with the already low costs of their UU's, allows you to make use of the mechanic fairly early... And by late game, you can expect to produce 3-4 units a turn in the AVERAGE city.

Overall, it's a bit of an early game nerf for the clan, and a mid-late game boost. Which is something I'm fine with; It's been in, and tested, for a few months now, so it's safe to say it's working fine.

The name "Agoge", by the way, actually comes from Sparta. It's the name of the Creche building Spartan males were raised in. Which is fairly descriptive of what I was picturing when I redesigned it. :p

How does overflow production interact with queues? The last time I played RoM:AND, it was in, but the excess production got dumped into gold if a queue reached its end. Also, does it work right if you Alt-select (I think) a unit for repeat building?

How does overflow production interact with queues? The last time I played RoM:AND, it was in, but the excess production got dumped into gold if a queue reached its end. Also, does it work right if you Alt-select (I think) a unit for repeat building?

It requires queues. If you don't queue up a unit, you get gold instead (all players do, default behavior). The AI will always use the mechanic, however.

Yes, if you alt-select for infinite building it will overflow correctly. That is the main way I use it, honestly.

And before anyone complains about the queuing; Trust me, I tried to figure out a way to launch a popup. As did Denev. It is simply not possible during the time where production is handled; It is actually between turns, so even if you tell the game to launch a popup, it will never be seen. There is just nothing to be done about it.

And before anyone complains about the queuing; Trust me, I tried to figure out a way to launch a popup. As did Denev. It is simply not possible during the time where production is handled; It is actually between turns, so even if you tell the game to launch a popup, it will never be seen. There is just nothing to be done about it.

Who said you needed a popup? Save the overflow production in a CvCity variable, and apply the production to the next item in the queue, next turn. I haven't tried it, but it should work.

Who said you needed a popup? Save the overflow production in a CvCity variable, and apply the production to the next item in the queue, next turn. I haven't tried it, but it should work.

You misinterpreted me. That is pretty much what occurs, though it happens immediately rather than next turn.

My point was that if you DON"T have anything queued, we can't do anything about it. To use the mechanic, you MUST queue your production.

Edit: Actually, I may have misread your post. Tired atm, and trying to fix a stubborn python error. Looks like you meant to apply the production to the production choice next turn? That's just regular overflow, and is already the case.

I didn't really mean that to be a complaint, I just think it should be clear ahead of time what the mechanic does and doesn't do. So you don't get 20 'bug' reports for a week after you release 1.3 about how overflow doesn't work.

Is there any way you could get the "Hey your city needs orders to build something" window to come up if it's projected to complete the queue following the current turn (ie one turn early rather than waiting for it to empty)? Maybe make an options menu entry for that?

I didn't really mean that to be a complaint, I just think it should be clear ahead of time what the mechanic does and doesn't do. So you don't get 20 'bug' reports for a week after you release 1.3 about how overflow doesn't work.

Is there any way you could get the "Hey your city needs orders to build something" window to come up if it's projected to complete the queue following the current turn (ie one turn early rather than waiting for it to empty)? Maybe make an options menu entry for that?

Possible; Will look into it if I have time.

What about a Traits that allows players to deflect their Oveflow to Culture (Kuriotates) or Science (Amurites)?

Again, possible.

The overflow building seems like a more elegant solution than warrens, but it does not work equally with different game speeds. It would have more effect on quick than marathon. One of the reasons I play marathon is to avoid one unit per turn production.

This whole mechanic thing.
It's a good idea an will surely add a lot of strategy to the game.

BUT, did you keep in mind that those civs who don't have the mechanic will be outnumbered?!
I'd hate to play a game and to end up beaten only because an opponent can produce more units per turn than I can.
I'd say if this mechanic is added then it should be added to all. Or at least in a way so all can get it, for example by researching a certain tech.

This whole mechanic thing.
It's a good idea an will surely add a lot of strategy to the game.

BUT, did you keep in mind that those civs who don't have the mechanic will be outnumbered?!
I'd hate to play a game and to end up beaten only because an opponent can produce more units per turn than I can.
I'd say if this mechanic is added then it should be added to all. Or at least in a way so all can get it, for example by researching a certain tech.

That is a horrible idea, in my honest opinion.

Put it this way: With that mechanic available to all, it is MORE imbalanced than with it available to a select few civs, chosen with that feature in mind.

Just think of the Infernals or D'tesh with it; Or even the Kurios, with their huge cities (though honestly, they wouldn't be that bad as they only get a few cities). In a test game with the D'tesh, before I limited it via trait (already planned to, just wanted to play the D'tesh with it. :p) I produced 65 units in one turn. This mechanic simply CANNOT be available to all civs.

Also keep in mind that of the two civs that got it, the one already had the warrens (and thus already could produce multiple units), and the other has been consistently picked out as a 'weak' civ. I am NOT worried about it being imbalanced; As I said, this particular change has been in for months.

I like it, but that's just because I enjoy playing as the Bannor, I like the whole military structure thing.

Quick- Check his palm for the triforce mark next time you spot him.

Side note: Is the Lore and Art thread dead? Everywhere else I post I get insta-responses, but that one's been sitting overnight.

Quick- Check his palm for the triforce mark next time you spot him.

Side note: Is the Lore and Art thread dead? Everywhere else I post I get insta-responses, but that one's been sitting overnight.

You mean her palm? :p

The Art thread isn't dead, and I'll be replying shortly; I've just been busy working on the Kahdi event. I hate event modding, and this one is fairly... complex... to code. :p

Working perfectly now though, so I'll be making a thread on the subject shortly.

If Opera is link, she's obviously a man in disguise.

Unless all that scandalous fan art of link as a woman is actually an attempt to reveal the truth to the public.

He DOES wear a dress... Hm...

Top Bottom