RifE 1.20 Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

I agree with your comments on the mountain trolls.

Even worse, IMO are the animal units with three movement points - things like Drakes, Raptors, Stags, etc. With the AI cheat of being able to see the whole map at any time it is ridiculous with these units. They can see you from very far away and get to you in a couple of turns no matter where you are. Once you get one on your tail, you are sunk unless you have 4 movement pts. They will follow you allover the map until they kill you.

I just recommend there be a cap of 2 movement pts. on these guys...or, take away the AI cheat of being able to see the whole map while you cannot. ;)

For what it's worth, I would second that recommendation; 3 base movement is much too high. I'm not sure there is much that can done about the AI's omniscience, though.

I don't know if I'm in the good place to say that and I know Val that you are not the

creator of FFH2 but I just wanna say that your modmod is amazing :goodjob:

I like the new leaders and this new icy religion.

Thanks for your job.

You're great ;)

I don't know if I'm in the good place to say that and I know Val that you are not the

creator of FFH2 but I just wanna say that your modmod is amazing :goodjob:

I like the new leaders and this new icy religion.

Thanks for your job.

You're great ;)

It's not just me, you know. :p

There are actually four of us on the team (listed in order of joining, not precedence; Best way to do it. :lol:)

• Myself, obviously.
  • Vermicious Knid
  • Grey Fox
  • KillerClowns
Glad you like it, though. :goodjob: Will be a LOT of new material in the next version, we've been working on renovating the old civs... They take new features into account much better now. For example, the Archos are now able to spawn all spider types.... :mischief:

whats the signifigance of trade, i know this is a pretty basic question, but some races, like the malakim, seem to have attributes that depend on trade, but i cant figure out the significance of it, since it dosent seem to give much money.

any advice would be helpful, thanks

whats the signifigance of trade, i know this is a pretty basic question, but some races, like the malakim, seem to have attributes that depend on trade, but i cant figure out the significance of it, since it dosent seem to give much money.

any advice would be helpful, thanks

Right now, trading is currently broken. It shows up on the city screen, but when you add up the sources of commerce, trade income isn't being taken into account. If I remember correctly it happened with the switch to decimal trade. Hopefully, it will be fixed in the next patch since a handful of civs depend on trade a good amount.

Glad you like it, though. :goodjob: Will be a LOT of new material in the next version, we've been working on renovating the old civs... They take new features into account much better now. For example, the Archos are now able to spawn all spider types.... :mischief:

Hmm it look like interesting.

Where can I find the thread about the future changings ??

By the way, so thanks for you and the 3 othres. :goodjob:

I would like to see some big monster like Godzilla or other kaiju.
You know, we have two big ape monsters like Margalard and Gurid (this one very similar to King Kong), but no lizardlike monsters.
The dragons are ok, but Acheron alone in the Animal Packs is not sufficiently reminiscent imho ;)

Hmm it look like interesting.

Where can I find the thread about the future changings ??

By the way, so thanks for you and the 3 othres. :goodjob:

You can't yet. We have no firm release date, so we aren't putting up lists. I will say that so far, I've done quite a bit for the Doviello, Archos, and Grigori (on whom work is ongoing), planning work on the Dural and a few others, and then we have Vermicious's work on Animals (extensive), my own work I'm planning for barbs as a whole (will be interesting. :p), and GreyFox's awesome work, of which nothing will be mentioned yet. :lol:

Sephi has decimal trade in Wildmana. I haven't played it recently, but I assume his is working.

Yes, I'll be looking at it soon. Was already planning on it. ;)

I would like to see some big monster like Godzilla or other kaiju.
You know, we have two big ape monsters like Margalard and Gurid (this one very similar to King Kong), but no lizardlike monsters.
The dragons are ok, but Acheron alone in the Animal Packs is not sufficiently reminiscent imho ;)

Wait, we don't have lizard-like monsters? Look up the Thunderlizard. :p

For what it's worth, I would second that recommendation; 3 base movement is much too high. I'm not sure there is much that can done about the AI's omniscience, though.

You're right, nothing will be done about that - let's face it, the AI does need all the help it can get. ;)

However, why not just allow the human player to see the map too? Of course that IS possible if you keep opening/closing the World Builder.;)

Fog of War for both or neither, I say. :D

Sorry, it just ticks me off when all the goody huts are gone when I explore and the epic lairs have been searched by AI Scouts who can beeline right for them....:cry:

And another thing...why does the AI ALWAYS spawn barb groups (like mountain trolls) right next to my healing unit. It's bad enough when every barb unit within 100 tiles comes marching over. :crazyeye:

Actually, if you want to have a little fun next game send out a Scout into the Wilderness and see (a) how long it takes to get a crowd on your tail and (b) how big a crowd you can draw and (c) how many turns you can lead this group around before you die. :yup:

You're right, nothing will be done about that - let's face it, the AI does need all the help it can get. ;)

However, why not just allow the human player to see the map too? Of course that IS possible if you keep opening/closing the World Builder.;)

Fog of War for both or neither, I say. :D

Sorry, it just ticks me off when all the goody huts are gone when I explore and the epic lairs have been searched by AI Scouts who can beeline right for them....:cry:

And another thing...why does the AI ALWAYS spawn barb groups (like mountain trolls) right next to my healing unit. It's bad enough when every barb unit within 100 tiles comes marching over. :crazyeye:

Actually, if you want to have a little fun next game send out a Scout into the Wilderness and see (a) how long it takes to get a crowd on your tail and (b) how big a crowd you can draw and (c) how many turns you can lead this group around before you die. :yup:

On the fog of war; Keep in mind the AI only really considers plots immediately around it. So it may be able to see the Goody Hut a bit earlier (5 plots away instead of 2), but it's not too much different. Of course, pulling values out of the air here; Not sure on specifics as I haven't looked at it.

With the barbgroups - It is ENTIRELY random. Trust me, I've dug deep into that code; Same basic code that I had to edit for the appearanceprob system used for animals.

On the fog of war; Keep in mind the AI only really considers plots immediately around it. So it may be able to see the Goody Hut a bit earlier (5 plots away instead of 2), but it's not too much different. Of course, pulling values out of the air here; Not sure on specifics as I haven't looked at it.

With the barbgroups - It is ENTIRELY random. Trust me, I've dug deep into that code; Same basic code that I had to edit for the appearanceprob system used for animals.

So how much trouble would it be to level the playing field and allow the human player to see the same as the AI?

I recall xienwolf giving the same explanation as you as to why the AI can do it, but never an answer as to why the human player cannot. Depending on terrain, the human player may only be able to see one tile around his unit. I think being able to see 5 tiles away (regardless of terrain) is significant when it comes to a few of the game features. For the most part, though, the AI is terrible and needs this, I guess.

Still, please consider taking the 3 movement pts away from animals.

I hear what you are saying about random placement of barb groups. However, it just seems like whenever I have a unit out in the wilderness, here come the groups plopping down right next to it. This, with plenty of other wilderness plots available. Maybe it is the combination of barbs 5 (or whatever it is) tiles away and the spawning that makes it seem nasty.

Is the TYPE of barb/group spawned also random? I'm guessing it is, but it just seems like Goblins, Frostlings, or mountain trolls ALWAYS spawn near my Spider and can see it. ;)

So how much trouble would it be to level the playing field and allow the human player to see the same as the AI?

I recall xienwolf giving the same explanation as you as to why the AI can do it, but never an answer as to why the human player cannot. Depending on terrain, the human player may only be able to see one tile around his unit. I think being able to see 5 tiles away (regardless of terrain) is significant when it comes to a few of the game features. For the most part, though, the AI is terrible and needs this, I guess.

Still, please consider taking the 3 movement pts away from animals.

I hear what you are saying about random placement of barb groups. However, it just seems like whenever I have a unit out in the wilderness, here come the groups plopping down right next to it. This, with plenty of other wilderness plots available. Maybe it is the combination of barbs 5 (or whatever it is) tiles away and the spawning that makes it seem nasty.

Is the TYPE of barb/group spawned also random? I'm guessing it is, but it just seems like Goblins, Frostlings, or mountain trolls ALWAYS spawn near my Spider and can see it. ;)

The plot chosen for barbs to spawn on is random (Amount of plots chosen is not, depends on the number of barbs in the area; But the actual plot is). Once the plot is chosen, the game checks for whichever unit is allowed to spawn there, gives them a random weighting, and at the end of the list of barb units spawns the unit with the highest weighting. I believe the actual number spawned is random, but that system isn't used for animals so I'm not sure.

On Move3 animals, just checked through unitinfos... New version has 1 move 4 (bunyip, ocean creature; Needs it as boats move faster), and 2 types of move3 creatures, the Griffin line and the Stag line. Think I'll remove it from the Stags, Griffins will keep it.

Trust me when I say that the barb experience for the next version will be ENTIRELY different. Came up with a way to add a true 'wildlands' feature... Barbs will inhibit exploration and expansion, but won't be killing off civs. No, I won't be going into detail. :lol:

Hello there; another new-ish user of this mod checking in. I'm about 200 turns into my first 'real' game (having finally decided to let myself WB-zap game-ender barbs in the first few dozen turns), playing the Austrin, and had a couple of notes/questions.

1. How exactly does the 'can train up to' mechanic work? [Really, it ought to have an entry in the RiFE concepts section of the Civilopedia. I've looked around here and can't determine which parent mod it came from and look at the development threads to find out what's going on. Particularly, does it split the exp between each eligible unit or give a fixed amount to each one?]

2. It certainly looks like multiple training building for the same category don't make units gain exp any faster, in which case the Hunter's Hall is completely useless for the Austrin...shouldn't it be either disallowed or replaced with something that does something useful?

Hello there; another new-ish user of this mod checking in. I'm about 200 turns into my first 'real' game (having finally decided to let myself WB-zap game-ender barbs in the first few dozen turns), playing the Austrin, and had a couple of notes/questions.

1. How exactly does the 'can train up to' mechanic work? [Really, it ought to have an entry in the RiFE concepts section of the Civilopedia. I've looked around here and can't determine which parent mod it came from and look at the development threads to find out what's going on. Particularly, does it split the exp between each eligible unit or give a fixed amount to each one?]

2. It certainly looks like multiple training building for the same category don't make units gain exp any faster, in which case the Hunter's Hall is completely useless for the Austrin...shouldn't it be either disallowed or replaced with something that does something useful?

1. I'm honestly not sure on the specific formula myself (Developed by FF; RifE, at root, is an FF mod, not an FfH mod), but buildings generally have both a Rate, and a Cap. So 'Can train X per turn, to Y xp' (Not sure on the actual description, that should be close). Any eligible unit will receive that xp each turn, no matter how many are stationed there; It's not split in any way. Since the xp gained does not scale based on how much xp the unit has, levels come slower and slower as you go.
  2. That depends. Some buildings will have a higher cap, while others have a higher rate... I can't remember at the moment if they stack, or if it uses the highest available, however.

Since the xp gained does not scale based on how much xp the unit has, levels come slower and slower as you go.

Actually the training does scale base on the current xp. As you get more xp it's slower. Without a cap, a unit can get to level 4 in reasonable time, level 5 takes a long time and level 6 and higher is unreachable. Not actually unreachable, but when you get only .01 xp per turn, going from 17 to 26 xp takes 900 turns.

The rate enhancements could help, but since there is such a huge difference between the low and high level base rates nothing in the game has a high enough rate bonus to make a difference.

I suggest using the FlatXP module by Riot_Starter module, it is excellent.

question about...
"swamps" !!!
It is surely not a bug but it's bothering me !

those are destroying the city I captured from the cualli.
the jungle/marsh reversed back to forest, but the swamps stayed.
I went in WB and could not find how to add some swamps nor how to remove them.
The only solution I found to remove the swamps through WB is : create ocean, rebuild the tile as before.

Any explanations /ideas ?

Top Bottom