RifE 1.20 Ideas, Requests, and Feedback

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Valkrionn, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

I'm not sure when that happened, honestly, but it will change in any case. Just not quite yet. Big plans for units. :p

2. Evalis

Evalis Prince

So after playing for a bit.. I've noticed that the runes of kilmorph religion recieved a huge boost. A bit too much I think. The trouble is that all dwarves can build dwarven mines (and those Kimorph guys don't leave you if you switch religions). And those mines all provide the same benefit to all races.

Considering that I can have a tile provide +3 food and +4 production and +5 commerce without running arete I may as well build the thing there considering there is nothing to compete with that sort of benefit from a single tile (not to mention the fort commander). Personally I don't see the reason for the additional commerce and food bonus from the tiles for anyone but the khazad (given that they get -1 food from farms and are sort of hosed in using agriostocracy). Personally I think only running arete should grant any bonuses to non-dwarven races. The luchuirp should only get a minor +1 food and +2 commerce from the mine. If you happen to be running arete then you can get additional bonuses, but nothing that running industry wouldn't also provide. Right now there isn't much of a reason to run any other religion other than FoL with the elves.

Erm ... put another way, non dwarves could only build the mine, luchiurp can get a settlement, and khazad can get up to a fortress.

3. Evalis

Evalis Prince

On another note, the attack power of catapults needs to be toned down a bit. With a level 3 catapult (easily acheivable) it is possible to have a 6 attack rating versus defenders.. add in one extra attack (via master seigesmith) and that's 12 attack rating veruses defenders (much higher than attainable at the point this can be achieved). What's even more troubling is that the commanders can grant a +2 to attack rating to catapults with their final tier, in addition to an extra 100% versus cities. So we are now looking at 4x7 or 28 attack power versus units that probably have 5-8 defense. Granted you'll likely only have three of these, but I'm pretty sure that's enough given that they cause collateral damage (80%) I think. that's pretty much a gauranteed volley of 70% of whatever stack you just attacked health. Cannons are slightly worse at 35 attack rating. I think catapults should get a boost to their regular attack power and a decrease in city attack rating. So 3 for catapults and 6 for cannons. Maybe +30% per promotion (like melee normally get).

4. isthmus

isthmus Warlord

Think I agree with this.. RoK is a pretty powerful religion, you get two heroes, a unique civic, strong improvement, a iron creating wonder, a superunit and the usual disciple units, who although arn't the best in the game are still good enough. Oh, and a really useful temple..

I think that dwarven mines should not upgrade if non-RoK or non-dwarf, and have the same initial yields as a regular mine unless following the arete civic. Still a bit overpowered, but dwarven mines are cool :D

5. Almagafor

Almagafor Chieftain

Maybe instead of downgrading DMines giving other religions improvements to compensate?

6. Evalis

Evalis Prince

There's a lot that needs changing. Currently the only religions that have something going for them production wise are FoL, RoK, and AV. Sacrifice the weak gives a pretty powerful production bonus, on par with the extra food from trees and mines. Order has a balisca which is available at religious law, a pretty high tech, and empyrian doesn't seem to get anything. Octopus overlords only get the wonder that eliminates unhappiness, and Council of Esus has always blown chunks. (Though I understand that religion is due for a rework in the next coming patches.

So.. for order, maybe make it so that confessors can cast a spell that turns any cottage improvement in that square into a town (it takes 1 turn per upgrade, or just 4 turns). Enclaves not included.. and include a wonder that reduces crime and maintenance in all cities by an added 20%, or a building that grants extra free unit supply.

Octopus Overlords should spawn kelp farms and upgrade whale boats to +1 food (not fishing boats).

Empyrean should grant +1 commerce from bedoun huts and allow non-malakim races to build them on desert tiles, and grant a cumulitive +5% trade bonus to trade routes per sun mana. Their wonder already does something in the form of revealing invisible units within your territory. (Most of their units can cast something to reveal nationality too).

7. Valkrionn

I'm planning to massively reduce the innate yields (Drop it to something like 1:food: 2:hammers:, still better than a mine and buildable everywhere) for all levels. All levels the same aside from culture/defense. Then have the Khazad (and Luchuirp to a lesser degree, but they can only build them while RoK) gain bonus yields for them.

Not ALL Dwarves can build the Mines. SoK were granted specific worker actions, and the Dwarven Mine was one of those.

Believe me, we have something planned. The unit tree has been entirely redesigned, just not implemented yet (and won't be for a few patches; 1.5 is when it's scheduled, we're about done with 1.3. Material for 1.4 is mostly designed already as well).

Dwarven Mines were originally Khazad only. They were allowed for RoK (and I like the flavor of it) but need to be rebalanced for it. See above. ;)

FoL will grant workers access to a new improvement in one of the new versions (not sure where it will come in yet, whenever we get to it); The Orchard. Can be built in forest, Elves will still prefer cottages.

CoE will be both religion and guild once we finish the guild rework.

Also, you left off two religions: White Hand and Airandamar. :mischief:

I'm actually thinking of re-adding the Patriarch unit for Order only. Was an upgrade of the High Priest in an old version of FfH; World limit of 1, can be used to force all co-religionists into your wars. So if you're Order Bannor, and go to war against AV Sheaim, you can pull all other Order civs into it.

I'm thinking of tweaking OO similar to in Orbis.

Empy allowing access to Bedouin Sits would be interesting, will consider it.

8. 7ate9tin11s

7ate9tin11s Chieftain

I was playing the Sheaim and thought the stats/use of the succubus were a bit weird lorewise. They are basically a slightly stronger fawn. So my edited version...

Tech/Build Changes: Sheaim can no longer build bath house, instead they can build a "House of Joy" or somesuch after researching deception (or guilds) that has the same basic effect (perhaps one extra happy and one extra sick?). This building would be for succubus spawns and the deeper research requirement would offset their increased utility.

:strength: 4/3 +1 Unholy +1 Poison +1 Fire (Unholy, poison and fire...ye ol' demonic std :rolleyes: )
    :move: 2 (Got wings?)

•Starts with Mind 3 (Domination)
    •Cannot Pillage
    •Immune to First Strikes & Defensive Strikes
    •1 First Strike
    •-25% City Attack & Defense
    •-25% vs Elf (Most all elves seem to be female in RiFE)
    •-25% vs Non-Living
    •50% Chance to create a Slave from Combat
    •Can Explore Rival Territory
    •Cannot use Weapons
    •Can view Rival City Details
    •Starts with Marksman, Invisible, Demon

So they basically end up being a weak shadow with the ability to dominate and no real use against animals. The only problem I have found in my editing the unit in is that the failing to dominate does not remove mind 3...and it never seems to succeed :( . Otherwise, having a decent shadow type unit in the ashen vale required sheaim was quite nice.

Just a thought :D

9. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

So, what does The Breach do exactly, and what are the machanics? Recreating units that you've lost?

10. blackCat

blackCat Chieftain

Hi Val,

Last week, I got a new idea.

What do u think about doing a totaly new tech tree like rise of mankind.

So your mod would be a totaly new one not a modmod.

11. Valkrionn

I honestly like FfH's tech tree. There are some adjustments planned, but only as necessary; Nothing major.

Also, a new tech tree would not make RifE a mod vs a modmod. Regardless of anything else, we contain the ideas and lore of FfH; It will always be a modmod as a result. ;)

12. Evalis

Evalis Prince

Researching the white hand shouldn't spawn ice and tundra in non-neutral lands. It's rather crippling to a city to have ice patches appear in it's midst. Even if sun mana is available to get rid of this it's extremely time consuming and also often requires water mana to get the land back to grasslands. Much too powerful for the illians and doviello to auto-cripple every other nation simply via research. On another note.. why does the armageddon counter 'increase' when raising the white hand holy city?

13. Valkrionn

Simply RESEARCHING it does not spawn ice and tundra. Worshipping it does, and it takes you all the way to Glacial terrain.

Armageddon counter increases when the White Hand is razed because it is vehemently opposed to armageddon. It may be evil, but Auric wants to rule; He does NOT want to destroy.

14. Evalis

Evalis Prince

Switching to the religion isn't much different than researching it, and it still spawns in enemy lands, which seems too powerful for the research cost involved. Then again, summoning samhain has always been just as bad. Much much worse to the computer that doesn't understand how to terraform.

By the way.. second note here, is it possible to add a progression table to the alter of luonnotar victory? Right now it only tells you if you or your rivals have won or not.

15. Valkrionn

But it does not spawn in enemy lands. The only way that would happen is if they are attacking you with their priests.

On Altar; Possible, will look at it.

16. Evalis

Evalis Prince

You're right. I just tested it.. they must have had a great engineer saved to speed the ritual production handy. It just appeared to happen on the same turn.

17. isthmus

isthmus Warlord

I've always thought that the only way to spread ice outside of white hand/illian borders was ice elemental death, frozen lands spell or the deepening, are you sure it's not that?

I don't think you can hurry projects along with engineers or other hurrying methods either.

18. Evalis

Evalis Prince

It must have been the depening, but it happened the same turn they converted, and yeah I just discovered you can't hurry projects with engineers.. I don't know what they did, but it seemed like them founding the religion did it.

19. Oranos

Oranos Warlord

I'm guessing this has already been suggested, but I'm too lazy to read through the whole forum. I think the Mechanos should have a building similar to airports, aerodrome maybe, allowing them to connect cities without terrestrial or aquatic routes.

20. inuyashasama

inuyashasama Warlord

They can build the nexus and obsidian gates.