1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RifE First Impressions

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by BvBPL, Jul 25, 2011.

1. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

So I played my first game of RifE and I found it highly enjoyable. After a couple false starts, one with the Dural was blasted apart by a barbarian horde (including a barbarian assassin who was the Chosen of Aeron. Unfair!), and a Mekara one that I got bored of as I didn’t understand the commander mechanic, I played some 400 turns of Mechanos before switching to the Mazatl lizardmen. Here’s my end user experience, for those who may be interested. This is w/ no SVN content, just the mod, patch, and hotfix.

Memory Allocation Errors: Okay, this was my big problem with this mod. After some 400 turns with the Mechanos on a large map, my computer started crashing with MAFs. I played with my page file (which it turns out was abysmally small) and performance settings, but in the end it was too much and I had to abandon the game. MAFs are particularly frustrating because they generally occur after you’ve invested a fair amount of time into a game.
    -I hope 1.4 will be more stable.
    -Are there any steps the end user can take to reduce MAFs?

Mechanos: Fun civ. I did find the adeptus to be less than fully explained though. It was only after I received alteration (or something like that) in a tech trade that I realized that the adeptus could cast a few spells. Knowing that I could have terraformed would have been nice since I started in the frosty north. Additional adeptus documentation would be helpful.

Mazatl (and other terraforming civs): There’s a real lack of documentation on the terraforming civs. I know the Mazatl spread some kind of wetland, but I can’t tell how that works. Does it work in a desert? Does it require fresh water? The swamp mechanic is not exactly intuitive either. Trying to figure out where it would work by trial and error is frustrating.

AI: Dull as a sack of wooden spoons. This isn’t really too much of a problem, but it’d be nice if it was able to use transports and what-not to launch sea invasions. Maybe I’m just spoiled from Tholal’s mod.

Barbarians: I like the lair mechanic, but sometimes it can take many explore lair functions to clear one out. It would be nice if there were a function that allowed one to rapidly clear out a lair. This would allow for (say) a scout with the appropriate function or promotion to sneak into a lair and clear it out quickly. This could be risky if the leashed guard is still around, but it would be a welcome way to clear out spawn beds early in the game.

Commander mechanic: Cool mechanic. I do wish it was easier to select the commander and minions in fewer clicks and with less fiddly stuff. Also, when multiple commanders have slots open it can be annoyingly difficult to get the right unit with the right leader. The Romance of the Three Kingdoms mod has a really cool commander system. That mod also has an easy interface for editing what unit is with what leader. Well worth checking out if you haven’t already.

Sidar: Oh my goodness is the mist freaking annoying. Mechanos, in particular, had a hard time dealing with it. Additional documentation and tips on how to beat the mist would be very welcome (such as assigning recon units to a scouting commander to raise perception). I never did get into the mist, the MAFs were coming too fast by the time I figured out how to raise my perception. The Perfect Sight promo (above Sentry II, Archery and Recon only) should add a perception rank and maybe provide some other bonus against the mist. How does the AI deal with the mist? Is it just incapable of attacked cities in the mist?

Very enjoyable mod. It exceeded my expectations. I am looking forward to 1.4. Thanks.

2. nickmoNW

nickmoNW Chieftain

I've been on a year long hiatus from FFH2, and just recently got back to playing it, downloading RIFE in the process.

I must agree with BvBPL on several things:

There is too little documentation on several very important mechanics, and very little info is needed to clarify such things. Examples of this would be the minor and emergent leaders, which still confused me even after reading the wiki, because I still couldn't figure out what I needed to do to get their traits upgraded.

The Sidar are a brilliant example of a really interesting mechanic that lacks documentation. It took me quite a while to figure out what perception even was, and how to raise it. Moreover, they again reveal how utterly crippled the AI is with all of these mechanics. As much as I love all the features, I am constantly frustrated that I am the only player in a solo game that will likely end up casting spells properly, using the civilization I'm playing as properly, and just using the game mechanics to my advantage in general whereas the AI must rely on brute force to have a chance.

I believe that there should be an optional game mode that essentially removes a lot of the complex game features for the AI, and makes them more adept at amassing great hordes of units.

That is, essentially, what the game turns into as of now: Unit spam from the AI. Why not make them more powerful at it so that I can't simply steamroll them with a few magic units in the late game?

That happens every time. I know how to use my hero units well, and the AI doesn't. I can completely destroy them with minimal losses in the late game, and as fun as it is to feel so powerful, I would feel better rewarded if it were more of a challenge.

The game shines at the beginning, with the wonderful barbarians who keep the challenge level up and offer exciting gameplay, but once I get to the midgame, everything begins to get easier as more RIFE and FFH2 mechanics become availible, given that I am able to take full advantage of them while others cannot.

To recap then, what I would like to see is a special mode where the AI becomes extremely good at just throwing units at you at ALL phases of the game, maybe give them some random free promotions that would counter your own civ to keep things varied. I'd love it if while playing the Amurites the AI spit out a few units here and there that came with some anti-magic promotions to keep me on my toes, in addition to producing a lot of assassin and shadow units.

My idea boils down to a streamlined and dynamic AI that builds units with occasional free promotions that are more targeted at countering the civilization(s) they are currently attacking, mimicking the same behavior that a human would. For example, two AI, Doviello and Hippus, that were at war with each other would each try to counter the opposing side. The Hippus AI would focus on anti-melee, whereas the Doviello AI would focus on anti-mounted combat. How to implement it, I do not know.

RIFE is seriously the best modmod of one of the best mods of all time, FFH2, upgrading and enhancing every part of it. The only thing truly letting it down (and understandably so) is the AI.

3. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

AI, documentation and OOS issues are planned after 1.4 ...

as for MAF, try to search ...
    basically, fewer civs, smaller maps and bigger RAM means less MAF will occur ...

not sure how much 1.4 will be more stable than 1.31 in matter of MAFs, since there's is connection between more-stuff-added and bigger-chance-of-MAF

4. BvBPL

Okay, here’s one more complaint.

Workers: While the worker experience thingie is interesting, I find it adds a lot of micromanaging to an element I’m already micromanaging. I think the worker experience feature is one that detracts from the fun of the game. I would rather have the FFH2 experience where all workers work the same rate and are modified just by racials. Even better would be a game option that turns off worker experience and just makes uniform workers. That way people who do like the fiddliness of worker experience can still enjoy it.

I know the MAF issue isn't something the dev team can really address. It was just really frustrating to get them.

5. KrugSmash

KrugSmash Warlord

There is a game option to turn off worker experience.

6. BvBPL

I'll have to look for that, thank you.

I'm only on my second game so I'm not totally familar with all the options.

7. nickmoNW

nickmoNW Chieftain

Awesome. I'm very glad to hear that.

8. Elder Methyl

Elder Methyl Warlord

Which is exactly one of the downsides of RifE. I love the new mechanics, but I also love huge maps and very advanced civs.

9. BvBPL

What's OOS?

10. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

out of sync. Multiplayer error.