Rife Magic System

Yoadm

Warlord
Hi all,

I havent been playing this modmod long, but some of the magic aspects of the game confused me. The undead version of 'body I', which I received but had no idea how got me thinking that I havent got a clue as to how the magic system works in Rife.

Is there any thread or guide on the subject?

It's simple really:

There are 3 spell promotions for each sphere of mana, if you've got certain combinations of level 3 spells (e.g. Fire 3 and Water 3) you get certain bonuses for your archmage (could be bonus attack strength, or an healing rate or anything else depending on your level 3 spells) and if you can get all sphere's of a certain school (e.g. Elementalism) to level 3 you'll get access to new, very powerful spells.

The only exception is Body which has two lines of spell promotions, one for living units (the normal one) and one for undead mages, this was originally added for the scions as their society was supposed to rely heavily on Body mana, yet not living units are not affected by the normal Body spells. Valk than changed it to make the alternative Bofy spells available to all undead arcane units.

It's simple really:

There are 3 spell promotions for each sphere of mana, if you've got certain combinations of level 3 spells (e.g. Fire 3 and Water 3) you get certain bonuses for your archmage (could be bonus attack strength, or an healing rate or anything else depending on your level 3 spells) and if you can get all sphere's of a certain school (e.g. Elementalism) to level 3 you'll get access to new, very powerful spells.

Umm, ok, thanks. Two questions:
- What do you mean a 'school'?
- Is there any place where I can see a combo/spell tree?

The only exception is Body which has two lines of spell promotions, one for living units (the normal one) and one for undead mages, this was originally added for the scions as their society was supposed to rely heavily on Body mana, yet not living units are not affected by the normal Body spells. Valk than changed it to make the alternative Bofy spells available to all undead arcane units.

Ahh ok that might explain it. Im playing the necro amurite hero.

Umm, ok, thanks. Two questions:
- What do you mean a 'school'?

The 4 categories mana spheres are divided in, Elemantalism, Necromancy, Divination, Alteration. You can see them as techs in the tech tree.

- Is there any place where I can see a combo/spell tree?

Sadly Rife doesn't have a promotion tree. Instead you can click on one of the spell promotions and work your way up by following the "leads to" links.

The 4 categories mana spheres are divided in, Elemantalism, Necromancy, Divination, Alteration. You can see them as techs in the tech tree.

Indeed, but the tech tree does not tell me what bonuses I get from upgrading into one specific school. Neither does it show me what bonuses I get from, say, combining water and fire. Btw, is there any benefit of combining lvl 1 or 2 spheres, or do only combinations of lvl 3's count?

so far only combinations of lvl 3 spheres count ...

however magic system will be reworked from scratch in next version

Indeed, but the tech tree does not tell me what bonuses I get from upgrading into one specific school. Neither does it show me what bonuses I get from, say, combining water and fire. Btw, is there any benefit of combining lvl 1 or 2 spheres, or do only combinations of lvl 3's count?

Yes, that's why I answered that question in the second part of my post...

Thank's! Though it seems impossible to reach anything near omnipotance. I tried playing an Amurite game and lvling Govannon, but at 133 exp I only have mastery of three spheres..

So I tried using metamagic to gain mana spheres by building, for instance, 4 earth nodes in order to grant him automatic Earth III, then going for all other spheres. Evidentely, it did not work and he did not receive the promotion. Am I doing something wrong? If this doesn't work then are there any other strategies for reaching imnipotance?

Arcane units only gain free promotions from Mana nodes when they (the arcane units) are created.

And yes, reaching Omnipotence in Rife is pretty much impossible. I guess this is part of the reason why it will be removed when the new magic system is implemented.

Arcane units only gain free promotions from Mana nodes when they (the arcane units) are created.

And yes, reaching Omnipotence in Rife is pretty much impossible. I guess this is part of the reason why it will be removed when the new magic system is implemented.

Ahh, that's a shame then.

Well, that and the fact that Arcane units will be specializing in specific Schools of magic.

They do not HAVE to specialize, of course, and would then have access to all the 'basic' t1-t3 spells. But an arcane unit only gains access to cross-spells from the school they have specialized in, making it pretty desirable to do so.

Have you considered allowing archmages to specialize in multiple schools if they meet certain conditions? Obviously these conditions would be very hard to meet, even a second specialization should require you to focus your entire game on that one archmage and getting all four (without WB) would be something worthy of a thread on the forums and get you lots of ":eek:"s and ":crazyeye:"s.

(I just love the idea of that one mage who has surpassed all his peers and mastered multiple spellschools, so much potential for rp.)

Vampires. Of course, once you finally gain Omnipotence... Master of Creation. 33% chance to miscast. Sigh.

Vampires. Of course, once you finally gain Omnipotence... Master of Creation. 33% chance to miscast. Sigh.

Im going to try a game for omnipotence now. I'll go Amurites, with Govannon and the OO Archmage working in combo. Govannon will teach him all lvl 1 spells, allowing him a shortcut to lvl 3 spells. Then I cast arcange lacuna after I have as many mana-nodes as possible + Birthright regaines.

Any suggestions to help out? For instance, is there any upgrade except law III for quicker exp gain?

If the Amurites have a charismatic leader (I don't think so), take him.

Also remember to attach a Great Commander to your archmage. That's all I can think off atm.

Don't get your hopes up to high though, Omnipotence requires a crazy amount of promotions (Lvl 80 without Govannon, see here)

If the Amurites have a charismatic leader (I don't think so), take him.

Also remember to attach a Great Commander to your archmage. That's all I can think off atm.

Don't get your hopes up to high though, Omnipotence requires a crazy amount of promotions (Lvl 80 without Govannon, see here)

Calabim are the only one's who might pull this off, I guess.

Ufff... can't wait till the new magic sistem...
With something similar already in WM (or MoM now) I have found myself trying to forget about it, and just enjoy the game as it is now. Especially since the last patch. BUT it seems that is imposible to me. I need this new magic!

(And ontopic... I tried to get omnipotence in a game with Amurites, and after only reaching two masterys, I realized it was a total waste of time. By the time I get to omnipotence, the game would have been one-sided by a loooong time... anyways, I like the idea of an all powerfull mage able to make emperors and kings wet their beds :lol: )

Wow, I've played over 50 games of rife in the last few months and had no idea at all of any of this.

Top Bottom