Right of Passage - How to deal after war?

hi

for example in Scenarios, France and Denmark have lock alliance, As Austria i have right of passage with Denmark, France declares war on me, then Denmark by mutual protection pact, but after peace, Denmark does not want to have right of passage even he's the 1st to declare war

Other civs dont like signing rop with you

hi

for example in Scenarios, France and Denmark have lock alliance, As Austria i have right of passage with Denmark, France declares war on me, then Denmark by mutual protection pact, but after peace, Denmark does not want to have right of passage even he's the 1st to declare war

Other civs dont like signing rop with you
Not if you've broken RoPs in the past, no.

But here's the thing: If you have any military units, including boats (not sure about units with A/D=0/0), within your opponents' territory(s) when war breaks out -- even if they declared on you -- then the game counts it as you breaking RoP. What's worse, you don't even need to have an official RoP in place for this to occur! If you move your units onto someone's land without an RoP, and then declare war on them (e.g. when they tell you 'Leave or declare!'), this will also break your RoP-reputation. And RoP-rep can't be regained after you've lost it: now no-one who knows your victim will ever sign 'fair' RoP-deals with you again (they may still sign 'unfair' RoP-deals -- but it will cost you a lot more).

In your example above, I would guess that after the French DoW'd you, you started moving units across Danish lands using your RoP, and attacked French troops/ territories (whether inside French borders, or on Danish lands) -- activating the Danes' MPP with France -- while you still had units within Danish borders. So as far as the Danes are concerned, you were the RoP-breaker -- and that's why they won't sign one anymore.

The take-home lesson is, if you care about maintaining your RoP-reputation, make sure that you declare (or provoke a declaration) only while your units are
  • still within your borders
  • on neutral territory
or (possibly?)
  • within the borders of a friendly nation (who doesn't have an MPP with your victim/attacker)
Regarding MPPs:
Spoiler :
Attacking hostile units which are already within your own borders (or -- I believe -- successfully defending against enemy attacks beyond your own borders) will never activate MPPs against you, but attacking enemy units outside your borders (including boats, unless your boats have 'Hidden Nationality') will always do so.

So if you are already under attack, and your attacker has MPPs, and you are willing to risk 'playing the victim' for 1 interturn before making any aggressive cross-border moves, it is often a good plan to sign MPPs with his (or her) MPP-partners. The very next act of AI-aggression against you will activate those MPPs in your favour, and break all your attacker's MPPs (not to mention any other deals he/she had running with your Mutual Protectors).

And you can be sneaky too: if you want to make war without activating your target's MPPs against you, then after signing your MPPs, to activate them all you have to do is declare/provoke your war, and then leave a cheap sacrificial unit (e.g. a Worker/Slave or Explorer) within striking-range of your soon-to-be enemy, and again wait 1 interturn. Your 'attacker' will usually be quite happy to oblige you in this, even if it does mean shooting themselves in the foot! You will(/should*) then be free to commit any cross-border acts of aggression yourself, with complete impunity.

And this way, not only does your enemy end up at the bottom of the MPP-dogpile instead of you, but your RoP-reputation stays intact, as well... :evil:

*CAVEAT: the above applies to the Epic Game -- admittedly I'm not sure if/how this trick works in conjunction with Locked Alliances, since these are only used in the Scenarios, which I mostly haven't played

Top Bottom