RIP civ4 forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steam will kill CFC forums, we will loose any newcomers because they never learned to navigate outside the streamlined experience Steam provides with their integrated game forums.

So the forums are still loosing the same number of users which is fine, the problem is Steam forums are stealing potential new blood.

The problem with stability is that its not something you can "play" with. It's just a straitjacket, something you have to do, something that crimps your style.

Either you maintain paradigm stability or you are playing Russian roulette with your empire. One revolt can send your game into unrecoverable tailspin.

It's not like, say, Crusader Kings 2 where you can deal with some revolt risk and sometimes emerge stronger from a civil war. (Sometimes you actually want to provoke rival factions within your empire to revolt so you get an excuse to execute the lot of them).

Could it be like that, though? There's the 'dynasty' event where you get a settled GP, and the Senate one where you get upgraded barracks or a bag of loot, which sort of comes into the politics aspect from the other direction; what if stability were tinkered with so that it's not massively crippling if you're not being utterly vile, and a player could engineer their society to be a stable republic by RPing a cruel tyrant, or a strong authoritarian regime by messing things up as a Weimar Republic?

I have been mostly lurking since I joined. One of the reasons I never posted more is because there are so many experts here, who've been playing 5 times as long as I, and I always figured someone could answer questions better than I could. Also as someone mentioned there is a wealth of knowledge already here so instead of asking questions, I just used the search function.

Since I saw this thread though I've tried to speak up and not just lurk, even if I end up saying something wrong :D

I have been mostly lurking since I joined. One of the reasons I never posted more is because there are so many experts here, who've been playing 5 times as long as I, and I always figured someone could answer questions better than I could. Also as someone mentioned there is a wealth of knowledge already here so instead of asking questions, I just used the search function.

Since I saw this thread though I've tried to speak up and not just lurk, even if I end up saying something wrong :D

Sometimes a person who hasn't been around so long can give a better answer. You might not know as much, but you might explain it better because you could have more recent experience with the problem.

Nexlev I have a standing offer of cake for lurkers who post in the lurker thread.
: )

But yeah most facts about the game were known a long time ago from some of the great code-divers. And Tachy is a great code diver that is still around today. That doesn't mean there is nothing to talk about here anymore. I've seen quite a few other posts by people that were spurred into action by this thread too.

Nexlev I have a standing offer of cake for lurkers who post in the lurker thread.
: )
Meh. The cake will make you fat.

This place used to really hop back when I started coming here. I really miss a lot of the old crowd. (Not that the new folks aren't great, too). We used to have some great arguments over the silliest things.

So true, I have tried RFC games and after 3 of them, I can't deal with them. It's simply unplayable and even with my numerous visits into the python code, I still don't manage stability. Says a lot about it.
Just modify the Python code to your consent.

Just modify the Python code to your consent.

Oh I know I can change stuff. But when I was playing DoC, it was primarily for the Domination Challenge set up by this guy Jusos. Otherwise, I am minimally interested in the mod. It is a great historical mod, but I'm not too fan of playing Earth maps like 100 times. Because over time by playing the same map and knowing the events, the map knowledge becomes so strong that the actions you should do become robotic. Like do this and that because it is the best move.

Yeah, there is a random counterpart to RFC, but I never was a fan of stability. I gave a long chance to DoC but after 6-7 games (where there are 4 completed and already swept two of the hardest dom slots), I have barely honed my abilities in managing the stability. When you play China, attain +60 stability, then the stupid normalization kills 30 stability (along other civilizations but they catch up later) and later just for invading one foreign core that is India, my stability steadily goes down. And barely 300 AD, already shaky status at ~-8. And the civic combinations didn't have to do with it.
Seriously, this is stupid. Going from 60 to -8 is plain stupid.

The other reason I gave a chance to DoC besides the Dom challenge thread was the interesting fact I learnt about the courthouses giving stability. I said to myself: "Wow, could it be that buildings would affect the stability too? That would change the whole strategic way of thinking than the simple best investment/return building. Buildings like the Market may become good because it gives stability. " Sadly, 'twas just the courthouse. This would have potential giving bad buildings (or unnecessary ones) a chance to relive in use. For a casual player, it doesn't matter, but for someone who likes strategy and micro, that opens a door to a new experience.

<eats the cake> .... :mischief: ..... move along :D

I'm in the same boat, Tachy. All I want to win is domination: UHVs aren't very interesting. Still haven't won, but I persevere.

I do agree that arbitrary stability hits and "normalizations" are incredibly annoying, though.

The Civ4 MP scene is pretty dead, and I can never find any people in the Civ4 lobby. On the other hand, I see people playing on the Civ5 steam groups, and some of them even have a good ping to me (I live on the ass end of the world).

Also, Seraiel, weren't you the guy who'd always Marathon-Quechua rush everyone after you roll a gold/floodplains start? Between that and a Miku avatar, I don't think I can ever respect you~!

I'm in the same boat, Tachy. All I want to win is domination: UHVs aren't very interesting. Still haven't won, but I persevere.

I do agree that arbitrary stability hits and "normalizations" are incredibly annoying, though.

Some UHVs are quite inspiring, and in Sword of Islam there are even meta-national Unique Religious Victories. Unfortunately players' interest go down when development stops and mods are completed...

Also, Seraiel, weren't you the guy who'd always Marathon-Quechua rush everyone after you roll a gold/floodplains start? Between that and a Miku avatar, I don't think I can ever respect you~!

Not 100% sure how to take this due to not understanding the last santence fully, but yes, I was the guy that learned beating Deity by playing Quechua-rushes in the beginning when Deity was still way over my head. Today I beat Deity like I want basically, so without superb starts and with every Civ. I'm still a HoF player though, so there's little reason for me to play with sub-par-starts.

Come on, don't you see it's Nick Carpathia!?

oh and

Spoiler :
Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity DeityDeity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity

Spoiler :
Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity DeityDeity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity DeityDeity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity
Spoiler :
Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity Deity
Spoiler :
DEITY MASS HYSTERIA

Anyways, to clarify (to my own idiotic interpretation of what's going on):

Seraiel, you are judged of one felony of calling old departing folks of asinine trolls better gone.
Nick, you are judged of a retaliative felony, feeling hurt by such previous felony.

Seriously, the respect thing is obsolete in a dying forum where most are casual players who don't care about it. The forums have DIED! Comprende!?

We have to adapt.

Moderator Action: Let's watch the language please. Removed some things that are not OK without changing the meaning. Let's also no troll please. This thread is getting pretty personal.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

(I live on the ass end of the world).!
No, you only live in Romania (if you're profile is to be believed.) The ass end of the world is Afghanistan. I know. I've been there. (Somalia is probably competing with it for the title though.)

Seriously, the respect thing is obsolete in a dying forum where most are casual players who don't give a f-ck about it. The forums have DIED! Comprende!?

We have to adapt.

Tachy I appreciate everything I've learned from your posts and hold you in high regard, but you declaring the forum dead does not actually make it so.

Whether 'respect is obsolete' in a dying forum is a valid excuse for trollish behavior is doubtful to begin with, but since there doesn't seem to be widespread agreement with your death proclamation anyway it doesn't apply.

While I've had my differences with Seraiel on other things, refusing to acknowledge his ability as a Civ player would require not only living on the ass end of the world, but firmly inserting ones head.

I'm in the same boat, Tachy. All I want to win is domination: UHVs aren't very interesting.
Domination is quite interesting, though. Especially if you make Courthouses give +2 stability to counteract all other stability weirdness, and lessen the unhistorical tiles penalty.

The forums are quite active. I assure you. But with lurkers now. You are, for instance, part of the last breed of active users. Lurkers are no fun because, well, they don't add anything. No holding ressentment again them at all since everyone is lurker at some moments, but it is more than obvious civ4 is agonizing. Not THAT it matters much. I entertain myself elsewhere without problem (RL or not), but I'm just saying my feeling on this.

You just have to see the number of replies in the really interesting Drewisfat's write-up to see the "active" civ4 population is gone. Less interesting threads of the past had more responses than his.

The only places where actions are still packed are probably the mods section and perhaps GOTM section.

I don't disacknowledge his abilities. Heck, I'm one of the first who encouraged him while others like Mylene (a very strong player just to specify) spat on him, but I just noted that claiming respect in a forum filled with lurkers is like thinking might hear your shoutings in empty woods. No one to heed, then no acknowledgements. Hence the respect system being obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom