Rip Hd-dvd

Speedo

Esse Quam Videri
Must really suck to be an early HD-DVD adopter right now.

Must really suck to be an early HD-DVD adopter right now.

I was planning on getting one back in Dec but couldn't afford it. WOuld have been a waste of money.[rant] I hate that HD-DVD lost to a format pioneered by sony, a company famous for screwing over it's costumer(root kits come to mind), and I would be willing to bet paid a lot of money to companies to support Blu ray. I would be willing to bet Blu ray won't ever come close to market share that DVD has. HD-dvd still had a chance when warner bros quit but when all those other companies were paid to switch to Blu ray it was over,:( I hate being wrong. Now all their is to do is watch Blu ray go nowhere and Toshiba go bankrupt. [/rant]

I thought this was an HD-DVD bashing thread. ("Ripping" the product.)

But...looks like that format is on its way out. Come to think of it, I've heard less commercials for HD-DVD movies lately.

Both Blue-ray and HD DVD are going to be short lived as there is semi holographic discs which store 100gb or more coming soon (next 20 years).

short lived? thats double what DVD has been as mainstream...

I was under the impression that HD-DVD was the "better" of the two formats?

Both Blue-ray and HD DVD are going to be short lived as there is semi holographic discs which store 100gb or more coming soon (next 20 years).

In 2000 dvds where rare now they are the only format.

Most techies say blue ray is better. Also the hd dvd backers are the evil companies like microsoft.

So blue ray will win?

Well having checked Wiki, it does look like Blu-ray is better.

I think I'm biased against Blu-ray (a) because it has a stupid name, and (b) because it's made by Sony.

That would make them the longest lived format so far. VHS lasted perhaps 15 years as the mainstream media of choice. DVD will get perhaps 10 years, perhaps a bit more.

Well having checked Wiki, it does look like Blu-ray is better.

I think I'm biased against Blu-ray (a) because it has a stupid name, and (b) because it's made by Sony.

In terms of audio and video quality, they're very similar, particularly because most studios use the exact same renders for their HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

Most techies say blue ray is better. Also the hd dvd backers are the evil companies like microsoft.

So blue ray will win?

Microsoft is no more evil than any other multi-billion dollar company. Actually, probably less so, with the money they give to charity.

Blu-ray has already won, HD-DVD is effectively dead.

And most techies who know what they're talking about and have actual hands-on experience will not say Blu-ray is better. Quality is comparable between the two formats, but HD-DVD is much more consumer friendly, all of the content protection garbage on Blu-Ray discs make them a real hassle to do anything with.

In terms of audio and video quality, they're very similar, particularly because most studios use the exact same renders for their HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

But how much of that is just because the rendering software is designed for both HD-DVD and Blu-ray? In other words, is it likely that, when Blu-ray emerges as winner, they'll start investing in better renders?

But how much of that is just because the rendering software is designed for both HD-DVD and Blu-ray? In other words, is it likely that, when Blu-ray emerges as winner, they'll start investing in better renders?

Some movies will be bigger, but at 1080p, there isn't a huge video quality difference between 25gb and 40gb.

Might very well lead to 1620p though. Chances are though, unless you have a huge screen, you wont really care.

That's gotta suck for those who bought HD-DVD players, they must be feeling like Beta-max owners right now. <lol>

So how much losses has Tosh bitten by accepting this loss?

Top Bottom