Rip Hd-dvd

I think people are still jumping the gun with HD.

Few people have HD tv's (I sure as hell don't) Blu-ray disk cost like 10 or 20 times more to make, and the players them self are still like $400.

DVD's are cheap to make, there players are cheap, and can be played on any TV. DVD's are here to stay for more then a few years still.

I think people are still jumping the gun with HD.

Few people have HD tv's (I sure as hell don't) Blu-ray disk cost like 10 or 20 times more to make, and the players them self are still like $400.

DVD's are cheap to make, there players are cheap, and can be played on any TV. DVD's are here to stay for more then a few years still.

People won't be jumping the gun anymore, now that Blu-Ray is going to be the physical HD format for the next decade or so, most likely.

HD stuff isn't much more expensive than non-HD stuff if you're buying new either way. You can get small 1080p screens for under $400, and Blu-ray drives for around $200. These double as computer peripherals and TV equipment.

I'll still stick with the idea the whole thing is going to fail as fast internet means its easier just to download onto a harddrive tv recorder thingy.

That's gotta suck for those who bought HD-DVD players, they must be feeling like Beta-max owners right now. <lol>

My family did VHS but did fall into the laser disc player trap in the late 80s.

I was gonna get a PS3 eventually anyway so I guess I'm happy even though I don't watch much in the way of movies.

I'll still stick with the idea the whole thing is going to fail as fast internet means its easier just to download onto a harddrive tv recorder thingy.

Not nesecaraly, my kbs rate seems to max out at 170kbs, usualy 150-160 kbs. It takes some time to download even a gigabyte. Torrenting can be quite slow sometimes (which is why I don't pirate movies), and I'm running out of my room on my hard drive as it is.

Torrenting a movie will always be questionable (corrupt data, is it what you were looking for, etc.). I've heard streaming being the "next big thing," but that is also highly unlikely. It costs more bandwidth then it would be to just buy the Ray disc. This is also not taking into account storage costs.

Blu-Ray is, for better or worse, going to be around for the next decade or so.

Downloading movies is not gonna be a good way to get them. ISP's are always one step behind in terms of speed. A full size HD movie is easy a dual layer DVD nowadays ( 8.5 gigs) and will continue to grow. Yet have you ever tried downloading 8.5 gigs? It takes a day at least, and that is if it doesnt get interrupted. Average Joe will not want to do that, so he will go out and buy the movie. As Strider said, Blu-Ray is here to stay for a while.

Streaming Blu-Ray is completely unrealistic. A standard Blu-ray movie weighs in at about 30GB, for the average internet user in North America, this would take a minimum of about 24 hours.

I'm on a 45mbit down connection, and even with that, it would take me close to an hour to fully download a movie, 30mbits is about the minimum speed necessary to stream Blu-ray content.

And this isn't even considering bandwidth caps; in some areas, Time Warner is rolling out service where the fastest tier allows for only 45gb of downloads per month. Comcast and similar providers would threaten to cut service before you made it to 10 movies in a month.

Top Bottom