1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Rise and Fall expectations polled

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Art Morte, Nov 28, 2017.

?

+++Great new mechanics and stuff, will Civ6 reach all its potential?

1. ++More content, more longevity, more joy

82 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. +More content without fundamental improvements

25 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. -More content with the same problems

23 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. --Tired ideas that won't make the game better

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. ---Bring back 1UPT

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. Art Morte

Art Morte Prince

How do you expect the Greatest Hits, sorry, the Randiest Homies expansion to effect the game as a whole?

The point of this thread is mostly about the poll. Pls vote.

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Isn't this unfair right now after the announcement? Hard not to be hyped right now. But maybe it would prove interesting to do it now and again shortly before release...

Ondolindë likes this.
  3. Art Morte

Art Morte Prince

What makes this unfair and messed up is that I made the first option to be the question, it seems, with no way to edit it... x)

Probably a sign to let this die in silence.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017
  4. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

:D:D:D Didn't even see that ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017
  5. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Well, I voted ++, but there needs to be a caveat: All the additions seem to be great ideas and could turn it into Best Civ Ever, if they are properly implemented. If they aren't, they could make it worse. The emergencies for example have the potential to break alliances if the AI doesn't properly take diplomatic priorities into account (like now with those idiotic joint wars), and if every alliance is easily broken they have little gameplay value.
    That the lead designer worked on Beyond Earth is a bit worrying. BE is the posterchild for the worst execution of the best ideas. However, I'm sure Ed Beach also had a lot of input and they've learned from mistakes.
    For now, I'm optimistic.

6. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Edited it, is this better? PM me if you wanted something else.

7. Arent11

Arent11 King

I abstain/vote "other". The ideas they have seem nice, however, I am slightly afraid that they ignore the "KISS" principle. A good game has few rules that form a complex interplay. In civ 5 & now 6 I see the danger that there are many rules that are redundant.

ZubieMaster likes this.
  8. Art Morte

Art Morte Prince

This is what's throwing me. I'm liking them on an ideas level, but how they'll actually play out in the game is another matter. Part of me wants to get excited, part of me wants to see how much thought has been put on this beyond the initial idea.

9. Art Morte

Art Morte Prince

I meant what ended up being the poll question be actually the first option, lol. But I'm seeing that almost everyone are voting for the highest possible option, so that pretty much tells the story; people are very excited about this expansions.

10. liv

liv Emperor

I still have nightmares about Rising Tide and here we have the word Rise and the same designer. RT just added stuff but did not in any way address the problems of BE . My pessimist side won and I voted the more content option. Hoping I am wrong

11. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

++ with no hesitation from me. It is already far superior to other Civ versions,
    and I never expected it to be anywhere near complete within 2 years.
    When modders get their tool sets it will be a wonder itself.

12. Acken

Acken Deity

Voted - because civ6 problems to me are not about a lack of content and with such a short release I'm confident none will be really improved regarding AI and balancing. Of course we'll only know when released.

TheMeInTeam and ZubieMaster like this.
  13. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

I'm somewhat split between options one and two. My guess based on the very limited information available is that the expansion will include new content that makes the game more interesting and replayable, but that it will leave at least some of vanilla's important balance/design issues (district cost scaling, difficulty pacing, tourism lacking non-victory effects) unsolved.

14. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

I'm at "Wait and see"

I will vote once I have a better idea about the expansion.

15. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I expect it'll have tons of balance improvements that sound good, but won't fix the core underlying problem of the AI being dumb.

comatosedragon likes this.
  16. Juan Sebastied

Juan Sebastied Chieftain

Hi Acken, what do you think are the problems of Civ 6?
    I'm playng it from about 20 days. I ask you because i remember your amazing, fantastic gameplay and records on Civ 5 BNV.
    I am not loving it at all but i don't know why....it seems more linear but it seems that you don't think this...

17. Acken

Acken Deity

Without spending too much time because its not the thread topic here are my personal issues:
    -Balance is really off and it kills the game pace if you play well enough (it was bad in BNW but I feel it to be really worse).
    -Spamming micro cities with very little in it is not my style. Civ5 was slightly too restrictive but it went too far the opposite way.
    -AI is at its worse both on the map and in Diplomacy (at least when I used to play).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Juan Sebastied likes this.
  18. Juan Sebastied

Juan Sebastied Chieftain

Ok! Thank you, i agree with the last 2 points (however maybe now the 3 point is not so dad, i think). The second point i think like you!
    I don't understand the first point..balance of what? sorry if maybe the topic is off maybe, don't reply

19. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

Voted +, if going by previous installements, i'd say first expansion adds new content wich enhances gameplay but does not change that much the experience, while second x-pack is the one refining the formula.

20. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

You only feel this much input baggage because Firaxis hasn't been able to take UI out of alpha/beta for ~10 years.

I can manage 50 cities in civ 4 more quickly in an end game scenario than a 300 APM Korean StarCraft professional could manage 15-20 in civ 6 on a per turn basis, and I am not a pro RTS player. A portion of this difference is 1 unit/tile, but that's likely not even 1/5 of the time differential.

Most of it is tied up in bad input buffering/delays, broken unit cycling (basically doesn't exist), awful hotkeys for city management, lack of queue, lack of way to manage cities in bulk or rapidly switch between them from the list + issue orders directly from there, lack of waypoints (for newly built and move orders alike), and constant forced prompts like trade routes w/ no decent automation. These factors and the game's rate gate make keeping up with the pace of even a decent UI completely impossible. Civ 5 had these design flaws too, but mitigated them by simply brute-forcing player incentive to go beyond a few cities.

Based on past history, I have no reason to expect different in the expansion, nor any reason to anticipate a much better AI or better unit progression/balance/tech setup. I WANT the game to be good, but when I look at what they're okay with after a year I'd be crazy to believe it will be.