[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

It’d be tough to play without Wine, Tobacco, Coffee and Truffles in Civ VI, yeah. ;)

WillowBrook likes this.
  2. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Thanks. Interesting person. Was born in Poland so I don’t think that would go over well with some.
    If you thought the outrage over Cleopatra leading the Egyptians...:p

Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  3. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

That would be a great idea for an edict for a future expansion similar to BNW.

4. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Please, no. :cringe: I hated it in BNW when the AI would just arbitrarily ban a luxury. That would be even more cruel in Civ6, especially now that amenities not just affect happiness but also loyalty.

Leyrann, Uberfrog, Benzombie and 5 others like this.
  5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

No it's garlic to keep away those pesky Romanians that stay up all night and drink blood.

6. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

I suspect the only thing to cause greater ragestorm than the pick of Roxolana would be inclusion of Georgia at the expense of Ottomans or Inca.

Seriously, has Tamar Fever gained traction anywhere outside of CivFanatics?

Guandao likes this.
  7. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

It could work, but the resource system would have to be reworked in some way. (e.g. allow the player to craft their own (untradeable) luxuries using bonus resources such as Mirrors, Brass and Perfume to offset the loss of banned "natural" luxuries such as Ivory, Furs or Whales.)

Zaarin likes this.
  8. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

And I'll assert again, some of us wanted her long before she became a meme. ;)

Honestly, manufactured luxuries should be a thing anyway. True, there are a lot of important natural luxuries, but historically speaking manufactured goods have been equally significant. Clear glass was so central to the Tyrian economy that it became a state industry and sharing its secrets was punishable by death. (Spoiler: the secret got out. :p )

9. Lord Lakely

There are many options actually. Brocade Robes (Silk + Gold), Ornaments (Marble or Stone or Jade), Mirrors (Mercury), Brass (Copper), Brioche (Wheat + Sugar), Sushi (Rice + Fish), Liquor (Wheat + Sugar), Purple (Dyes + cliffs), Lace (Wool), Figurines (Ivory), Jewellery (Gold + either Gems or Pearls), Perfume (Whales or Incense), Glass (Dye + a coast), Cloisonné (Copper + Clay), Furniture (jungle in range), Confectionaries (Sugar + Chocolate), Cheese (Cattle or Sheep), etc...

It would require a larger pool of bonus resources (and maybe even adding an inbetween layer of Commodity resources which provide fewer Amenities if hooked up) and a unique manufacturing district, but it might be a good idea for a sequel. But we're probably on the wrong board discussing this.

Edit: A more feasable alternative could be adding an Auction Room building to the Commercial Hub, where you can store one of your Great Works, making it function like an amenity for the nearest four cities and provide gold per turn instead of tourism and culture. Only one of each type can be "auctioned off" in your empire. You would have to choose between building the Auction Room or the Stock Exchange.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Leyrann, Kimiimaro, Thormodr and 2 others like this.
  10. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Sounds like a plan for the second expansion: wealth & bankruptcy

11. clapyourhands

clapyourhands Prince

There are already a few manufactured luxuries tied to Great Merchants, namely Jeans, Perfume, and Toys. They could work off of that and have Great Merchants that "invent" luxuries based on adjacent resources from where they are activated (ie: like how Darwin gives science based on adjacent natural wonders, a merchant could create Lace when activated near Wool--it would be available earlier than the existing ones to make up for the fact that its requirement is stricter).

Kimiimaro, eso12por8, Siptah and 3 others like this.
  12. Lord Lakely

Absolutely. I've always felt those luxes should be worth more than the regular luxury, however (same with Zanzibar's unique Luxes) since you can like... easily settle a city with four cocoa plantations in range as opposed to there being only two world-wide copies of the Jeans/Perfume/Toys luxes.

13. God of Kings

14. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

15. God of Kings

Guandao and Thormodr like this.
  16. eso12por8

eso12por8 Warlord

Agreed, though Ptolemaic Egypt was more Roman than Greek. Hellenes certainly made their mark, though, while they were there. Carthage is indeed an African civ, despite it being along the Mediterranean. While genetically speaking, Mediterraneans were at one point in time considered a separate race from whites due to the obvious mix. Blond Greeks were actually what colonial Spaniards call trigueño (wheaten/hazel). Saharan Africa is still Africa, and Athens & Sicily are still Europe (interesting how we speak differently of Saharan Africans than their sub-Saharan counterparts). Mali, Zulu, Bantu, Swahili, or Sultanate of Oman would all be great sub-Saharan contenders.

Fair enough, though I have yet to have heard people separate Spain, Italy & Greece from "European Civ" counts. The Middle East is always there but this is the first I'm seeing people suddenly making a distinction and justification for having Carthage be representative of a region typically seen by westerners as European & not necessarily North African as well. Most of Carthage's territory was in Africa, so how would it not fit Africa?

As someone who self-identifies as pan-Med. The Mediterranean is its own sphere, ethnically & culturally speaking, though the European side is more white-mixed and the African side is more black-mixed. It's a great blend if you have both sides like I do but to say they're the same isn't quite accurate when one side is also more or less a desert. Very different lifestyles.

If Portugal is indeed out, I would not be surprised if this is the angle. I hope they have a pirate civ to specifically seek wealth.

Kimiimaro and Thormodr like this.
  17. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Bantu would be a blob Civ, a pretty huge one at that. Oman isn't African.:p I think Dahomey, Benin (the kingdom that existed in present-day Nigeria, not the modern nation), Ashanti, Madagascar, Kanem-Bornu, and maybe a few others I can't remember would also good make sub-Saharan Civs.

18. eso12por8

eso12por8 Warlord

MODERN Oman isn't African. At one point in time the Sultanate of Oman moved its capital to Zanzibar. Most of its land was an East African stronghold for them for centuries.

19. God of Kings

Norway is quite close to that.

20. eso12por8

eso12por8 Warlord

& I agree, the Bantu would be more or less a filler civ. Benin I'm not as crazy about, nor Madagascar. The Ashanti are so incredibly fascinating, though does anyone know if Kumasi is still a city-state? Based on what I remember from my African History classes in college, weren't Kanem & Bornu different empires? Are we considering them as one for the sake of geographical unity?

If we're going to talk Sahelian civs... Songhai, Hausa, Yoruba, Darfur..