[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

Probably no world congress?
I also don't understand why people think plagues and the Mongols will be included. Because of the trailer. Actually the only thing the trailer does hint, is Italy because of the doctor mask (that i recognize from assassin's creed).
Yes Mongolia was the first thing I thought of because of the trailer. Maybe Portugal or Dutch as well from the ship. Wouldn't mind Italy either though. The ending shot of her looked like she was speaking at the U.N.
Edit- They seem to be looking at a Map of Amsterdam on the ship so Dutch.

Last edited:
Wew, alright read through the blog post of it, some quick thoughts:

Golden/Dark Ages - Well we've had Golden Ages in previous Civ games and they've worked fine so I guess why not? Having an inverted version might be a bit annoying but considering the new Loyalty mechanic it probably makes sense. Speaking of which~

Loyalty - One problem I had before was that Amenities generally felt so irrelevant in the game, so you didn't have to think much about keeping your people happy. But with this it gives you a much more direct incentive to micromanage every individual city in a similar way. I'm all for adding more levels of depth to pacifistic playstyles so being able to peacefully flip cities again (this time in a non-cultural way though) is pretty nice in theory at least, just have to get it properly balanced first

Governors - Well this is a common idea in many other strategy games so I'm plenty familiar with the concept at least. Not sure it's fitting for Civ though but I guess it's something you just have to get used to. And again, it synchs logically with the Loyalty system and also becomes like a secondary way of giving yourself temporary bonuses just like with the Policy Card system. Again, more city micromanagement features are always appreciated to me as long as they make sense and don't overlap too much with already existing ones, so I think this should work out alright on paper

Enhanced Alliances - Pretty straightforward but yes this was definitely needed. Before, alliances was just a way of guaranteeing a trade partner and ensuring you won't get attacked by them. Now there's much deeper and more specialized incentives to securing them. It sounded perhaps a bit OP to me when I first read it though but that can always be tweaked later if need be, and if it's going to become a standard feature in-game then I guess it'll be the same for everyone at least

Emergencies - I'm not sure if this is good for multiplayer or not but I don't really play multiplayer personally so that's not my problem (maybe if you add a game setup option to enable/disable it that would be good). Anyway this should be great for single player games where it feels like you've already won halfway through and you're just tediously waiting for the game to end so you can claim your victory already. Now there'll actually be something you need to focus on all the way to the finish line so you don't get bored. This definitely needs some careful balancing though so it doesn't suddenly become an actual drawback to be ahead in the mid-game all of a sudden

Historic Moments - This feels more like a feature implemented for fun than practicality but I actually really like it. Small scale goals/achievements to strive for worked great with Eurekas/Inspirations but these should be a bit less repetitive and more dynamic in nature, and it'll definitely help make every game feel more unique. Moreover it ties back into the Golden/Dark Ages system with the so-called Era Score mechanic which will actually give you a practical reason to pursue these things rather than solely doing it for roleplay purposes. All in all it basically feels like they're trying to make the game feel more like it's telling a story of a civilization through the ages than they have before, which is pretty cool I think

Aaaand then we also saw some new terrain, wonders etc in the pictures plus a bunch of new civs/leaders to be announced but I'm not going to start theorycrafting what those might be just yet

The trailer has a glimpse of world congress in it. So i still have some hopes about new info from now till release expansion.

Well, it's someone speaking to a group of people. Do they speak as leader of a Nation? Or leader of a global world body? I think you're right, but it may not be...

Probably no world congress?

I also don't understand why people think plagues and the Mongols will be included. Because of the trailer. Actually the only thing the trailer does hint, is Italy because of the doctor mask (that i recognize from assassin's creed).
Mind you, the Winged Hussar was in the vanilla intro, and the Polish were later added in.

The Features Thread is now live, if I have missed anything please let me know there

I hate it when they do that. Meaning, bring something this delectable when I am severely upset at them and at Aspyr by association. I haven't even tasted the new DLC and now I have to think about all these new intricacies in the game that seem amazing. Ok, I guess I am less upset, drooling a bit really, but wondering if we Mac/Linux people will get this anytime before April. I am a bit more upset now. I do really hope we don't have to wait that long. Ok, I'll go and re-read the press release more carefully so that I can forget about how upset I am/was. Don't know anymore Thanks and no thanks, Firaxis/2K. You make me happy, sad, angry. Feels like remembering an old crush.

Wow! Trailer made me cry. Someone tell me what's wrong with me.

You didn't pay enough attention to her eyebrows, or you would have laughed all
the way through it?

My first impression is that this expansion will rise or fall depending on the Dark and Golden Ages mechanics. That sounds like a big game-changer, potentially. Can't say I've missed Civ V golden ages, I hope what we'll see here is going to be somehow different. As long as your civilization plunging into a Dark Age is something you can prevent by your own decisions, I should be OK with that.

Won't be buying this in February, though, will wait and see what people think about it first. If it seems that this expansion adds stuff without changing the way the game plays out currently, I don't think I'll be that keen on it.

From PcgamesN:
  • New global content: eight new world wonders, seven natural wonders, four new units, two new improvements, two new districts, fourteen new buildings, and three new resources have been added.

Eight new civs, wonder what they are. Mongolia (even without the hint) is very likely and should always be in. Italy seems likely too. Isabella from Spain just seems less likely since they only announced one new leader. No idea, what to expect further. I think we will see some dark horses as well. There is less focus on colonialism and economy than i did thought, and it seems like the expansion is focused on a broader perspective. I can't imagine that the Inca's won't be included as well, but we haven't seen a hint (like Machu Picchu in one of the screenshots). One other native American civ seems possible as well. I don't think we will have the Maya's. That will most likely even be a dark horse civ (with a female leader?). Netherlands or Portugal will also be in probably. Hungary, Hittites and Ottomans seems also to battle against each other for a spot. Babylonia seems more likely. We will also have Ethiopia, Mali, Carthage or Zulu (two of these) i think. And Korea, Mughals or a SEA civ, but it's hard to see who they would opt for.

It seems like those 9 leaders are part of the new civs, that's a little bit of a shame for me but I'm still excited. Though it still ponders me why they would say the amount of both civs and leaders when new civs always come with one leader, kind of redundant.

In the interview with Ed Beach, you can see that they don't focus on new leaders, and that this should be something the modding community do mostly, and that they focus on sporadically adding alternate leaders that have something interesting to tell.

Coming from someone who hasn't played Civilisation VI yet, this seems a good announcement. I especially like the sound of cities rebelling and changing hands over time dynamically. However, it's not worth buying the game until the fundamentals are in a playable state. From a cursory view of Steam reviews, this is not yet the case. Fix the AI, flesh out some of the bares bones and I may be interested.

@bite why are you sure it‘s the Parthenon? I can‘t watch the video. Was it referenced? It doesn‘t look like that.

From that particular article:
  • New leaders and civs: nine new leaders and eight new civilisations are introduced. Each brings unique bonuses and gameplay, as well as a total of eight unique units, two unique buildings, four unique improvements, and two unique districts.
I guess that means no new leader will have their own unique unit or improvement.

Since the number of UU match the number of new civs, you might infer that the lone alt-leader will not have a Leader Unique Unit, and thus probably isn't for England, America, Norway, or Macedon.

Top Bottom