1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of Andean Civilization

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by FramedArchitect, Apr 10, 2013.

1. FramedArchitect

FramedArchitect Reluctant Modder

Dominate the Andes & Survive the Spanish Conquest!

Download Here

Leave Comments & Criticism Here

A full-conversion scenario set in the Late Intermediate Period of Andean culture (~1200 to ~1550).
    This is a collaboration between myself and hangman.

Major features:

• Six playable civilizations, each with a unique trait and path to victory
      Spoiler Civs :
    • All new buildings and units reflecting Andean culture
      Spoiler City :
    • Four Andean religions, and a new mechanic allowing you to gain bonuses by visiting religious Oracles
      Spoiler Religion :
    • All new Policy Tree, with branches dedicated to exploiting the environment and ideologies
      Spoiler Policies :
    • A detailed scenario map of Western South America
      Spoiler Map :
    • 15 new resources including potato, quinoa, cactus, llama, and guinea pigs (yes, you eat them!)
    • A challenging end-game event that includes plagues, Conquistadores and a new heathen religion
    • Climate events that dynamically change the environment

2. karetsos

karetsos Chieftain

wow....

3. albie_123

albie_123 Modding In Secret

Looks amazing!

4. wolfman1234

wolfman1234 King

Yes, very good news.

5. Hambil

Hambil Emperor

That looks like an impressive amount of work! I can't wait to play around with it. Thanks.

6. Hambil

Hambil Emperor

Being as it is a heavily mountain based senario, will terrace farms be available? Also, perhaps a promotion to cross mountains (like Dido's units) and/or tunnels?

7. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

8. FramedArchitect

Hi, and good question.

We're including a kind of terrace farm improvement, yes, though it is activated via policy branch, so not all civs will have access to them. We're including a few new improvements, including Tambo (a kind of village/fort) and a unique that allows civ to harvest resources outside its own territory.

Right now the Inka trait includes mountain traverse, but this requires a nearby Warlord unit (a combat unit that replaces Great Generals). As Inka victory requires conquering almost all map, this seemed a natural fit.

9. MrL567

MrL567 Warlord

I really love the work you do frame. Can't wait for this to go out? A question tho? Could you give us a example of a policy from one of the three terrain policy trees?

10. hangman

hangman almost-scientist

I'd like to add that I'm designing the map to allow for relatively free movement of units, so hopefully the mountains won't make moving armies too difficult for any of the civs.

11. Rob (R8XFT)

The guinea pigs resource...did they also believe that guinea pigs would cure disease? It's many years ago since I did my degree, but I did a course about world religion and looked at Nicaraguan beliefs (I know they're not Andean, but Central). There was some belief that the disease could be transmitted to the guinea pig, hence curing the individual of the illness. I don't know if that was the same in Andean culture? If so, they could be a resource used for a medical building of some kind?

Love the policies ideas...be prepared for some idea stealing...!!

12. FramedArchitect

The opening policy in each branch deals with movement in particular terrains. For example the montane opener grants units the woodsman promotion, while the coast opener grants units the embark promotion. There are also policies that allow buildings that increase yields from regional resources. For example, the highland policy buildings increase yields on Lllama and potato.

13. MrL567

MrL567 Warlord

Ah, thanks. That sounds really interesting imo. Can't wait to see it for myself.

14. FramedArchitect

Hi Rob, I don't know the answer to the guinea pig thing (though pictures make them look really really tasty!). I imagine hangman will know this. On the idea of health in the game, it's one mechanic from civ 4 i kinda miss. It would be nice to find a way to reintroduce this, though I suppose that's a topic for a whole new mod.

15. Bandersnatching

Bandersnatching Warlord

Dizamn, that looks awesome.
    I'm guessing that the Conquistadores will not be playable. But are they an AI civ that becomes relevant in the late game, or are they like barbarians? Will cities convert to their cause without needing to be captured (sort of like how the Spaniards gained native american allies during their conquest of Mexico)?
    I hope that you are also making brand-new religious beliefs for this scenario.
    Really looking forward to it!

16. FramedArchitect

Hi,
    The Spanish are not playable, but they figure highly in the last 25% of scenario. On arrival (variable turn), they set up a city in a random coastal tile, and both CS and major cities can defect to them. The Spanish also bring plague with them, which will have a large effect on native cities. They are at permanent war with all majors, and periodically receive reinforcements.

The four native religions and their beliefs are all new.
    Spoiler Religions :

17. Rob (R8XFT)

Looking forward to spreading Si and Ni across the continent ;). The traits are fantastic and quite original. I like the idea of being able to harvest resources outside of one's territory; it's a trait I can see fitting in well with Brave New World.

There's a trait whereby settlers found allied city states - so is the idea that you're a single city civilization with a number of CS allies? Can they be coerced by other civilizations?

18. hangman

hangman almost-scientist

I think they were used for divination of illnesses, actually. Considering that it was mostly ritualistic though, I'd be more inclined to use it for culture rather than health. I think it would be interesting to add a health system to the mod, but it doesn't seem necessary right now, so I'll leave it up to framedarchitect.

The way the code is set up, we can choose a maximum number of cities that can be founded, and any beyond that will flip to city states. We're thinking of having a two or three city cap atm. And yes, they can be coerced like any other CS.

19. Tomatekh

Tomatekh Sahib-i-Qirani

Awesome to see a preview for this and I can't wait to play it myself!

20. FramedArchitect

The scenario is coming along well, and v.1 will be available for download here on Saturday. I think some of the unique victory conditions will be very challenging, even for seasoned players!

Spoiler Wonder :