1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

I downloaded it anyway!
    Maybe I can put it in good use.
    Just curious, but why were there BIQs too (no time to look into them now): did you already made some change. Tell me more about your plans for modifications! I go offline now. I NEED to work. Best wishes with the interview!

2. Gaias

Gaias Earthman

There was two BICs because I had changed the corresponding icon numbers to match where I had placed the unit icons in the unit_32.pcx.

You won't see my modifications of RFRE for awhile as I am planning some sweeping changes as to how it is setup. Its more of a personal project, setup in a way that I always wanted them to be. I didn't make any greater suggestions to you because of the rather large changes that I would have proposed. Rather than build from ground up (like I was planning to do), I figured I might as well use what is already there. But you will be the first to know when it is playable (along with others here). I should start a post in the main C&C forum to go over my ideas with others, as I do not know if many of them are possible.

Well the interview went better than I could have hope for. This school that I will be attending is exactly what was needed to futher my career. Though I am not going to do exactly as I had thought, but in gerenal it is better than what I am doing currently.

3. the_Monarch

the_Monarch annointed and crowned

Great news, Gaias! Congrats!! If you want to start a new thread be sure you pot the link here. Some of us would like to lurk there a bit. You plan something really major, eh? I'm just dying of curiosity. Tell us of your plans, mate :D!!

4. goethe

goethe Chieftain

thanks for your okay :)

I will translate the TXT-files and some basic terms in the biq (tech names e.q.). I will post a link here when my work is done ;)

@Gaias: good luck for your interview :)

5. primordial stew

primordial stew Chieftain

LOL, you should know better by now!

If RFRE wasn't such a feat we all would have given up long ago :goodjob:

Ok, enough praise, back to Hannibal. My favorite implementation is still having him spawn out of Bovanium(sp) as NH, or just give this city to Carthage. That will put him where he is supposed to be. His stats have to go down so that we can actually beat him with a large effort, since as captain beaver notes, having Hannibal trash a bunch of cites would be the end of the game. Rome simply isn't powerful enough to recover, unless Carthage is seriously weakened. Letting thier super units represent 85% of thier mobile forces may work. How does that sound? It's not like Iberia or Numidia is going to attack them. Aegyptus may, but Carthage consisting largely of garrison units should do fine.

Oh, and I did see Carthage with 1 celtic tribe unit 4(2)-4-1 in my game.

6. captain beaver

captain beaver Civ 3 addict

Another solution would be to make all Carthaginian units require the Carthago ressource. At start, this would make all of cartaginian islands be unable to build anything except funditors. Then, at 225BC, when the Hasdrubal dux wonder in Cartago nova expires and with it the oversea link to Cartage, Spain won't be able to build any new units, recreating the weakening of Spain and making it ripe for Rome to conquer.

EDIT-----------
    BTW, the new praesidium with 0 offense isn't well managed by the AI. It never fortifies them. An offense of 1 should correct that.

7. blitzkrieg80

blitzkrieg80 ðrymes ðēoden

Pink- So far so good in HARD 1.2... it IS hard, but saving and reloading is nec. as always... GREAT ARTWORK on user interface and i love the new Miles Socius graphics and greek flavor!!

btw- I think we shouldn't use the historical justification that a legion should have betters stats than a hoplite, because it makes no sense for the game balance to go by history because if that was the case ALL OF IT should be changed and it would be WAY OFF... So far Defence 5 is difficult, but that's good... when I get Marius legions I don't think it should be terribly easy... I think Hoplites should stay as they are, if anything, make them cost more so there are less... but I DON'T want to see SPAMMED defence 4 units... I hate unit spam! :D

Side note- On the subject of history, I find Carthage's mercenary spearmen to have THE LONGEST spears in the game!! (I'm not saying it should be changed- too much work and it looks awesome) But, many scholars argue that Carthage never used Pikemen, but also some DO argue that they do... but nonetheless, Macedonia should have THE HUGE PIKES moreso than Carthage =oP It's ironic!

8. blitzkrieg80

One more thing- I used to not like building Miles Socius because they cost the same per turn in maintenance as Legio, but not as good... but NOW i like building Miles Socius just because they looks so cool :) i know it's silly... but i'm serious

Forgot to mention- this is an old addition, but the Mamertine units are very cool historical addition!!! Great new Hoplite Alarii graphics too... *Question!! Who is this "Ciceronian" in Pyrrhus' army in Italy? I'm very interested and can't find info. on wikipedia...

9. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Come on... Can't you guess?
    Maybe should you visit Colonia Agrippina some day ;)

I am happy that you support my move with the Greek hoplites. Rome will fight them much later, after the Punic Wars, when it already has a huge empire and strong battle hardened troops. The Greeks are so divided they were just too easy to beat, without a single loss, in earlier version. Yes a legion had some advantage on a phalanx, but gameplay wise, I think it is nice if Macedonia can be a challenge! It is on purpose that the hoplites of Magna Graecia are weaker than the others. Before you guys scrap any of the changes I made, raise it here and let me a chance to justify it :) Of course, the final word goes to the testers, who actually play the game.
    About Carthage, beside Hannibal and Hasdrubal, I haven't changed anything. Do we really need to make its regular armies weaker? Location of Hannibal, and the two brother stats can be changed.

Capt. beaver, I neglected the A0 of praesidium (and cohortes urbanae, who need the "load" flag checked also), resulting in no AI strategies. I forgot some AI civs got some praesidium as the game starts. This need a quick fix.

I put in bold the points that need to be addressed, by somebody ;), although I am updating my BIQs progressively and I may post them later on if you want to.

10. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

I read somewhere that the the Libyan mercenaries were fighting organized into phalanx, with pikes thus. But I guess you are speaking of the Aaglo's egyptian pikeman unit I used as the defensive merc unit. I am nowhere with unit design, and anyway, cosmetic changes fom my part... are over :)

11. blitzkrieg80

PINK!!!! You didn't answer my question!
    Is that our translator/tester Ciceronian fighting alongside Pyrrhus? Where's the Blitzkrieg80 unit? ;) EXPLAIN YOURSELF

12. captain beaver

captain beaver Civ 3 addict

Hehe just found the Captain Beaver unit sitting in Vindonissa. Beware you decadent Romans, for I shall not go down without a fight!

13. Aion

Aion Chieftain

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:rotfl:

How hilarious! Oh, and I found myself, too :D

14. Traianus

Traianus Why is it dark in here?

15. Gaias

Gaias Earthman

:lol: I didn't even bother to right click on Pyrrus's army, as I have fought that damn stack to many times to care. I would seem that we get more than a mentionable honour in the credits, we get to crush ourselves in the game. :hammer2:

Secret fantasy of yours Pink for our incessant nagging for perfection? Hmmm? :p

Well if you put us specific places depending on what we posted, I could only guess where you put me... :jesus:

16. blitzkrieg80

Oh wow... I was joking about the units being named after us but now after "visiting" Colonia Aggripa i understand =oP how cool

Yay, My little person is Deutsch, you know me so well! (although I be Hibernian as well)

Captain Beaver and I shall hold the Rhine well =o)

*-Aion, where are you? Traianus? I've only found a few of us who have posted (Beaver, Gaias (you guessed it!)... Mungman also at Niveneh... Randy and Coltrane at London...

**- Funny thing... when i looked up "ciceronian+pyrrhus" on google...2nd on the list was THIS FORUM!! yay =o) We are history

17. blitzkrieg80

Hmm I declared war on Magna Graeca after the first punic war and Bovianum just revolted and gave me their city without a fight aka culture flip... Someone else said they had the same thing happen... NOT GOOD (game wise) but I'll take it =oP

18. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

I didn't thought at it this way :lol: but I should have.
    I tried to place you folks the closer to (the guessed) home I could. That brings poor old Traianus in the Wales ;) and yes, Gaias, you are where you deserve to be!

If I forgot someone, let me know.

PS. Strange for Bovianum, I didn't change anything there. Maybe just bad (good?) luck.

19. blitzkrieg80

That was such a cool idea with the credits, Pink... GREAT JOB!

The new terrain is cool too (Dunes, new resources, ect.)... I hope the palm trees are accurate ;)

PS - WHERE IS the Pinktilapia? Swimming in the ocean? =oP

PPS- The weakened Magna Graeca make it much easier to get the empire started!!

20. Gaias

Gaias Earthman

Pink I was looking thru the bic to see why Hannibal wasn't spawning, and I seen that you had it require the resource Carthago Nova with the 'Required goods must be within city radius'. For some reason unknown to me, CivIII will decide the wonder is defunct and will not produce the unit. I tested this when I took away the requirement and Hannibal army spawn as intended.