Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Woot good news for RFRE! As for the Germans, an early attack by them can stop your game while they don't really need to appear until late BCs. So a new civ on the Rhine would be a good idea for me.

Pink - congrats on the good news from take 2, it's really good to know that the mod will be able to reach an even bigger audiance. :goodjob:

Does anyone know what happened to the RTW conversions that Gaias was working on? As far as I know there were only two completed, then Gaias went off the radar. I assume that these units represent some of the copyrighted material that would need to be taken out of the mod if it were to be included on the take 2 disc.

It is my favourite civ scenario, even now when civ 4 is out and a lot of people are making nice mods and maps. A small question: is someone working or going to work on a civ4 RFRE? it is (thinking that civ4 is better game in many ways) a shortcut to imortality for Pink and all other people that made this far making me happy-and alot of people, I am sure).

I am sorry if I am not reading al the thread looking for an eventual answer. If anyone wants to answer my question, he will have my thanks.

EDIT: I searched a little in the thread and I fond out that chances are low. Pink, if you choose to move to civ 4, me and many others around here will support you in any way you will find suitable.

So, let see if Blitz agree with the idea of having another celt civ and weaken the germanics.

Thanks all for your kind words. Civ4 would be another 2+years undertaking. I don't have the time (nor the motivation really) for carrying that through. Plus, I haven't even bought Civ4 yet!

Congrats, Pink! Although I'm not active these days, I'm still reading the thread. I love RFRE and your news is proof of it's greatness!

Bad news everybody, my game died again. This time in 357AD, again while battling Persia. The war started in 353. Is it just me, or is this a common problem? If it's common, then maybe Take2/Firaxis will be willing to help out on this one?

The 1st Gothic War (I inititiated it) went from 248-261AD. Losses were light (thought 1 Praetorian died while attacking a Praedator in the highlands outside of the Dacian capital) since I was able to focus all of the effective units in the army against them. Even with the best of the army, only ~40 Preadators were destroyed, and there were still ~50 in sight.

pinktilapia said:
Civ4 would be another 2+years undertaking. I don't have the time (nor the motivation really) for carrying that through. Plus, I haven't even bought Civ4 yet!

I don't think it would take that long. The main reason is capacity. In civIV there can only be maybe 50% of the cities possible in civIII, so everything goes faster. Armies are smaller too. Between the Worldbuilder and Python debug statements/logging, the designer's visibility will be much enhanced!

As civIII RFRE finishes up here in the next couple weeks :lol: maybe we can brainstorm on what civIV RFRE would bring to the table. What things did't work well, or couldn't be done well in civIII, what did people like best, etc

BTW, I played the Rise of Rome scenario in Warlord's and it is indeed nothing close to what RFRE would offer. Warlords adds the Vassal state option, which would be the natural way to handle those nations we have to buy, but there is probobly a different way so that wouldn't be required.

König Markus said:
The Romans used cataphracts already in the 4th century.
But the height of the usage of cataphracts was in the 6th and 7th centuries.

Well, let's see what are the opinions of the others regarding that issue.

The Hippodromus will spawn some before they can be built. Just a few to play with during the recesionary times. Kind of like pre-production prototypes :)

> University of Constantinople

I'd so no to this at this point. Research cost is already maxed out, so research ability must be reduced to drive the treasury down such that it is hard to maintain a sufficient army to keep the borders. That's why the scholas are going to go obsolete in the next rev.

> new minor civ in Germania

Yeah, this may make it a bit easier. The Germanics will be slightly weaker (less cities) so long as they don't conquer them early. If they start with oppidiums it will make it very difficult for the Germanics to conquer them.

primordial stew said:
Bad news everybody, my game died again. This time in 357AD, again while battling Persia. The war started in 353. Is it just me, or is this a common problem? If it's common, then maybe Take2/Firaxis will be willing to help out on this one?

Can you post your Save? I'd try it.

Does anyone know if the SDK will be included in the new CIV III release. The Civ III community also deserves 'unprecedented modding power'. Perhaps someone should start a poll concerning the release of the Civ III SDK. Does anyone agree...?

The SDK is a software development kit sometimes called a "devkit". There is one available for Civ IV that permits modders to alter and tweak their gameplay experiences in ways not possible with Civ III. As for this 'new release' of Civ III I've only heard and read 'rumors' about it. I haven't witnessed anything official.

Nah, I'll probably start the poll later on tonight. Perhaps we can gather enough momentum to convience them to release it or make it available for DL. Cross your fingers Stormrage.

Top Bottom