1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

1. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

BTW, Master of RFRE, and any other, it would be great if you could keep a save of your game every 100 years or so. Since I have little time for playing, that would be the best for future modifications. Not only Randy please (nothing personal!), or I will make the game impossible to win for any other (I already failed to beat Galia Cisalpina last time I played, to say the true ;)) Post the saves here, or better, send them to odega@seafdec.org

2. IXIRandyIXI

IXIRandyIXI Dirty Warmonger

So far in my game @ 198 BC, things have been flowing smoothely. Everything takes longer to build, but that's made up with the strength of the Legions. It was easy to take the Carthaginian islands in the Med. as usual, Gallia Cisalpina was a quick 3-turn conquest (gotta love 2-pronged invasions!), Illyria annoyed the heck out of me with its 3-HP defenders taking out Vetern Legios (but was still fairly easy), and Magna Graecia (minus Syracusae) has been the most recent victim of my Legion horde. Overall, things have run great so far! :goodjob: Off to Carthaginian Spain my army goes! :D I fear those elephant armies...

3. IXIRandyIXI

Some more comments from my latest game:

- Techs cost a bit too much early on. I got to the Triumvirate era in the early 1st cent. AD.

- Upgrade costs are huge! I was only able to upgrade a couple of my Legios to the Legio Consularis with my small budget early on.

- Oriental Goods were apparently given a chance to appear on the map. Intended? .. It was strange seeing Oriental Goods in Greece!

4. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

Hi Randy,

-The exact date to which you reached triumvirate would help! Couldn't you research all tech at 12 turns?
    - I didn't change the upgrade cost from last version, but if it is too high and testers agree, I will bring it down.
    - Some goods have (had) a very minor chance of appearance (removed now). I added oriental goods in Delos (Greece)! It became, under the Roman, a great place of trade for eastern products. You are encouraged founding a city there to collect the resource. Otherwise it still boost trade in Athens.

@Mungman
    Thanks for your save :) The settlers were indeed removed for Rome. Now your imperial legions can settle!

I guess the slow down in feedback means that the game is less buggy, that you are all busy playing, and that I have no excuse not to get back on my work ;) Ok, to it then!

5. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

BTW Randy, how many Barcan Armies did you meet in Hispania?

6. mungman

mungman Chieftain

Yeah, I've been busy testing. Haven't sent the latest save yet but I will, I forgot to save at 72bc so it'll be 150 years from the last one.

Legios settle now, hmmm.

I've noticed the techs taking long as well. To keep the first few at 12 turns I had to keep my tech slider at 70-80% and for Macedonian on I can't keep it below 23 turns a tech. Currently I'm at ~40bc and I'm 6 turns from getting Marius' Reform. One thing for the slow techs could be the infrastructure I'm not building. In order to keep up with history (and prepare for the barbarian hordes!!!) I have to churn out units as opposed to build up cities.

Basic observations - Like the new and improved Legios much more. I was a bit taken aback by the 2 pop cost, but didn't realize they could settle now. Also, are Velites supposed to be able to build roads? And I'm not Randy, but as far as the Barcan Armies, there were quite a few. I had to watch with fear as they went trampsing through the Alpes on the way to war in Greece (they caused me to hold off on the 2nd Punic War by about 70 years) and when I finally attacked there were 3 in Hispania. Numidians took half of Carthage when I went to war, which was odd since usually Carthage wipes them out while I take Carthage out, but maybe they were lucky this time. Egypt and Macedonia have been a pain, but only because my attention has been diverted, we'll see how it goes now that Carthage is gone.

Also, Hippo Regius can no longer build Castrum Numidici. Is this on purpose, or did the horses in its radius disappear before I took it?

7. gringoesteban

gringoesteban Senior Consul

deleted by poster

8. IXIRandyIXI

Sorry, didn't take note of the exact date I hit Triumvirate. :( But no, for the majority of the technologies, I was unable to research them within 12 turns.

Upgrade costs: Well, it wasn't so much of an issue before because it was pretty easy to make a lot of gold. But now, since a large portion of gold is going into research and gold is harder to acquire, paying 100 gold to upgrade just one Legio to a Legio Consularis is pretty expensive!

I think I ran into about 5 or 6 total. They were really scattered. I just sat in Tarragona and let Carthage send the majority of its troops in Carthaginian Spain at me (easy to clean up!), then wiped out Carthaginian Spain. Because Carthage failed to concentrate its troops, I easily ran over pretty much everything it sent at me. The new Roman armies are pretty powerful!

Seems like you've been having the same problems with techs as me. ;)

Yes, Velites are supposed to be able to make roads. Pretty handy, eh?

I was unable to build Castrum Numidici as well when I captured Hippo Regius. It looks like the Horse resource was moved out of its radius and thus the Castrum Numidici cannot be built.

:king:

9. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

-Good to hear Carthage is buidling its wonder fine and that Hannibal is roaming in the Alps :).
    -Poll: are the new Roman armies (2 units, with the added HP bonus of 2 legions, that between 10 and 14 HP!) too powerful? If yes, should we reduce Roman army strenght/spawning frequency, or strenghten/increase spawning freq. of Barcan armies?
    - Your Castrum Numidici issue is making me dizzy - it is supposed to require now stones and slaves! Read the pedia guys! It might be that the stone not being connected to a road is the issue why you can't build the camp (road added for next patch, poor Carthage, it won't get any of these fine riders for v0.8...).
    - Only imperial legion can settle, should I allow Consular to do so as well?
    - Upgrade cost will be a bit reduced (-25%) and tech costs will be down as well (try to build at least schools, they are cheap!). Hopefully it should allow you to save some money while not lagging to much.

10. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

Not having much fun with version 0.8, production is too slow which IMHO makes for a tedious and uneventfull game :( I'm hoping the mod will be fun to play for casual gamers, like myself, as well as the experts. I think I prefered the earlier versions. It seems odd that Praesidium should take longer than Velites to train; it can take more than 20 years to build a garrison in newly conquered cities.

I do have to say how amazed I am to see Carthage actually conduct naval invasions. Carthage is currently ferrying troops all the way up the med to attack Vienne instead of trying to walk all the way from Cartagena! :goodjob:

Marius' Reform seems to take 25 turns, no matter what you do with the slider. This means 150 - 200 gold per turn with research on 10%. I may be finding the game slow going and this gold is useful, but surely this isn't right?!

I would vote for the 2 unit Roman Armies but that's probably 'cos I'm crap and I only manage to get one or two ... ;) :rolleyes:

11. mungman

mungman Chieftain

I vote to keep armies as they are. I was only able to build two before Scipionis went obsolete and whenever they'd go head to head with a Barcan they'd lose.

I also vote to give Consular Legions settling as well.

And sorry bout not reading the pedia. I have read it in the past, but just figured if something had been changed that you'd have mentioned it in the patch release.

12. MarcusSaurono

MarcusSaurono Warlord

Ive been playing and looking in the editor and i'm just curious, why do the roman units mostly have a pop cost but not those of their opponents? I found it rather disturbing that in less than 20 turns Bovianum produced an extra 7 or 8 hopilite while I barely managed to have 12 legions in place to attack them. I'd already fought a short war against the gauls and lost 4 of the 10 legions I sent against them. Overall, I think the romans are put at too great a disadvantage.

13. IXIRandyIXI

I think the Barbarian archers need to be toned down a bit. They were wiping out my Legio Consularis like crazy and they only cost 1 pop. (vs 2 pop. for the Legio Consularis).

14. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

I hear you :) I will reduce the cost of praesidium early on (it is actually really to expensive): make them 25 shields (like velites) instead of 35 but add a 1 pop cost. In order to boost the early Roman economy, I have also (1) added several mines in Italy, (2) reduced the price of the Fabrica (70->60 shields) (3) reduced the price of the templum (120->100 shields). More?

Barbarian archers must have suffers of a typo :blush: 4 HP bonus?! Back to 1 for next version. For notice they are immobile, so you should only meet them if you go offensive, in a bid to push the AI to pile them into settlements, and then upgrade them into the late barb. infantry (poorly and uncorrectly named huscarl, need of a better name) by the late IVth century, helping the barbarians to have a great mass of warriors to send in one wave.

I have reduced the costs of the late republican advances.

@Marcus Saurono
    The AI deal very poorly with units costing population. It always ends with very small cities, which reflect poorly, say, of the rich cities you should find in Asia, Syria, and Egypt... These civ are nonetheless already crippled to face a Rome victorious in the Punic Wars. Experienced legions should quickly be able to overcome hoplites, not speaking of armies. Barbarians on the other hand are very strong opponents for an early Rome, as it was historically. You really should think twice before invading the Gauls (Cisalpine, being is small, is of course much much easier). I wouldn't been thinking going north before getting the consular legion, and better, Julius Caesar. You have plenty of room to develop east before that... Of course, ultimately, it is up to you :) The game overall is surely different from you typical Civ game, it starts hard (beat Carthage) then go easier (extend the Empire as much as you can, or want), then should progressively become, oh well, frustrating and hard again ;), with barbarians bashing your borders and your cities rioting. I do hope you will like it nonetheless.

PS. Bovianum, as you might have read on this thread, is a hard piece to take. Ignore it and just deal with the samnites quickly when they com out. Like Gauls, you should take it once you have a more powerful units or at least war machines. Check the pedia, Castrum Samnitis.

15. pinktilapia

pinktilapia Homeless

For those who suffer under the new settings, I have posted an incremental patch (0.81) which should really help at start. Don't bother restarting a new game if you are well into it.

Features:

- Cheaper advances, workshops, temples and rep. garrison
    - Bovianum should not flip to Rome
    - Stones near Numidia now connected to road
    - Consular legions now can settle as well
    - More starting mines in Italy (at least one per city)
    - Less corruption (50% -> 40%)
    - Barb. archers' HP down from 7 (!) to 4
    - New road art

Keep sending .sav, it really helps.

16. MarcusSaurono

MarcusSaurono Warlord

What war with Carthage? I bought them off so I could build up greater force nearer to home, not realizing that building up near to home would be nearly impossible. Even with the Consular Legions I lost horribly at Syracuse and in most of my fights against Magna Graeca. Only with 4 or 5 to one odds have I had any success, especially since I lost my army to those Samnites.

PS-> Read over almost every unit, both in the civilopedia and editor, before posting. Why not give people the option to build legions that can colonize or legions that can't. The ones that colonize also have build options, cost more than now and take pop, but don't require support. The others are only good for attacking and require support but don't require pop and still cost the same as now. Might also have some differences between their offensive and deffensive capabilities and HP.

17. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

...This sounds very familiar... ;) In most of my tests I have avoided war with Carthage like the plague! I don't get how anyone can successfully attack Carthage in the first 40 turns....

18. mungman

mungman Chieftain

It's actually fairly easy. All you do is reinforce Massana, usually I'll rush a Legio and ship a Velite and Hoplite, then I use those to fend off any attacks.

Then, in Pisae build two Cymbas as quickly as possible. You also should have moved every moveable unit in Italy to this area and brought your Triremes into the bay to protect the Cymbas.

Once all your units are gathered, load them up. Send one Cymba (loaded w/ 2 Legio, Hoplite, and Velite) and one Trireme to Aleria, it will fall easily. Send the second to Olbia, it should also go down quickly. Heal all the units and rush Praesidiums in your new cities, and while you're doing this build 2 more Cymbas to carry more troops and put them in Croton. After your first invasion wave is healed, load them back up and go take Caralis, then heal and rush Praesidium. Then take the troops from Croton and move them into Massana and in place to attack Lillybaeum along with the troops that took Caralis. Lillybaeum will fall and then you make peace.

Congrats, you've just won the 1st Punic War. You have 4 new cities and should have been able to win quite a bit of tribute from the Carthaginians in your treaty. Usually you'll get all of their gold on hand and between 10-30 gold per turn.

Now you build for a couple turns and take out Cisalpine Gaul. Send a wave of about 6 units from Pisae to Genua and another wave of about 6 from Arinimum to Ravenna, have them meet at Mediolanum.

After that recoup for no more than 10 turns and take out Illyria.

You should be in a decent position to build an empire in whatever way you see fit after that.

19. Asclepius

Asclepius AWOL

Wow! Sounds easy... ;) Normally I concentrate on the Cisalpine Gauls and Illyria *first*. By the time I get around to Carthage it is a powerhouse. I still think Messina and southern Italy will be easy meat for Carthage while I attack Sardinia and Corsica (which is quite realistic I suppose) but in Civ, if you lose a city you're pretty much stuffed. I wonder how far Barca will get as well... Anyway, nice advice, thanks mungman. I shall try it in my next game!

20. mungman

mungman Chieftain

I know, it sounds more difficult than it usually ends up being. For one, if you don't pay the tribute at first, it begins before Carthage can build up into the powerhouse it is later, and you can finish up before it has time to get troops to Italy.

A couple of times Carthage has taken Massana before I could get to Lilybaeum, but I was always able to take it back with a two pronged invasion of Sicily or by making its return part of the peace deal after taking their Med. possestions.

The thing to know, is that all of that Sardinia and Corsica will be garrisoned with no more than a Mercenary and a slinger at first, and the longer you wait, the more they'll reinforce it.